FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2010 Book List (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2010 Book List
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who made use of the previous thread will know what to do...

Since I was one of the more loyal users of last year's thread, I though it might be fitting if I were the one to initiate the new thread.

So, if you feel inclined to share with other Hatrackers what exactly you are reading or if you just want to keep an overview for yourself - this is the place to do so...

My list for 2010:

1. Playing With Fire by Derek Landy
2. The Faceless Ones by Derek Landy
3. The Way Of Shadows by Brent Weeks
4. Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks
5. Beyond The Shadows by Brent Weeks
6. Ghost In The Shell SAC: The Lost Memory by Junichi Fujisaku
7. Love All The People by Bill Hicks
8. At The Gates Of Darkness by Raymond E. Feist
9. The Case Of The Missing Books by Ian Sansom
10.Thief Of Time by Terry Pratchett
11.Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs
12.The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
13.Ghost In The Shell SAC: Revenge Of The Cold Machines by Junichi Fujisaku
14.Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
15.Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb
16.Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett
17.The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan
18.The Novice by Trudi Canavan
19.The High Lord by Trudi Canavan
20.Bored Of The Rings by Henry N. Beard & Douglas C. Kenney
21.Dark Days by Derek Landy
22.Forest Mage by Robin Hobb
23.Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
24.Bones To Ashes by Kathy Reichs
25.A War Of Gifts by Orson Scott Card
26.PopCo by Scarlett Thomas
27.The Noticably Stouter Book Of General Ignorance by John Lloyd & John Mitchinson
28.Renegade's Magic by Robin Hobb
29.Company by Max Barry
30.Ender In Exile by Orson Scott Card
31.Technicolor Time Machine by Harry Harrison
32.It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis
33.Adrian Mole And The Weapons Of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend
34.Vintage Stuff by Tom Sharpe
35.Shadowmarch by Tad Williams
36.Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett
37.Mortal Coil by Derek Landy
38.Men At Arms by Terry Pratchett (re-read)
39.Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (re-read)
40.Speaker For The Dead by Orson Scott Card (re-read)
41.Servant: The Awakening by L.L. Foster
42.The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger
43.Wilt by Tom Sharpe (re-read)
44.Walden -or- Life In The Woods by Henry David Thoreau
45.Sourcery by Terry Pratchett (re-read)
46.Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
47.Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry (re-read)
48.The DNA Cowboys Trilogy by Mick Farren *

* Officially I only read the first two books of the trilogy in 2010. But since they were in one binding, I have added the whole book to my list for 2010.

[ January 03, 2011, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Y ]

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
The Truth - Terry Pratchett
A Separate War and Other Stories - Joe Haldeman
In War Times - Kathleen Ann Goonan
Pump Six and Other Stories - Paolo Bagigalupi
Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett
Forever Peace - Joe Haldeman
Time Pressure - Spider Robinson

[ February 11, 2010, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished:

1. The Grand Delusion: The Unauthorized True Story of Styx, by Sterling Whitaker
2. Mistborn: The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson
3. Mistborn: The Well of Ascension, by Brandon Sanderson
4. Mistborn: The Hero of Ages, by Brandon Sanderson
5. Warbreaker, by Brandon Sanderson
6. The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch
7. The Accidental Time Machine, by Joe Haldeman
8. Caves of Steel, by Isaac Asimov
9. Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions, by Edwin Abbott
10. The Naked Sun, by Isaac Asimov
11. Flashforward, by Robert J. Sawyer
12. Manifold: Time, by Stephen Baxter

[ June 23, 2010, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Sean Monahan ]

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
The Last Lecture

In Progress:

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually plan on having this summer off, which I'm hoping will mean a chance to catch up on a lot of reading I've been wanting to do. I just finished reading a highly entertaining account of Teddy Roosevelt's mapping of the River of Doubt that I really enjoyed.

I almost don't know where to start though. I have barely read anything for fun in the past two years.

I'd like to read the Earthsea books, and A Song of Ice and Fire. Other than that, I'm actually a bit embarrassed to admit it, but, I'd sort of like to read the third Christopher Paolini book.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished:
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
A Shadow in Summer - Daniel Abraham
Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison
Something from the Nightside - Simon R Green
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clark
Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
Ender in Exile - Orson Scott Card
Wastelands
Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss (1st, 2nd and 3rd readthroughs because it's that good)
1776 (well, half of it =/) -
Changes - Jim Butcher
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
Forever War - Joe Haldeman
A Betrayal in Winter - Daniel Abraham
Shadow of the Torturer & Claw of the Conciliator - Gene Wolfe
The Princess & Mr. Wiffle - Patrick Rothfuss
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
Anathem - Neal Stephenson
Altered Carbon - Richard K Morgan
Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson

In-Progress:
Ilium -

Upcoming:

TBD

[ October 26, 2010, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: TheGrimace ]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for anonymous           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished The Looking Glass Wars, and I'm about to start Seeing Redd.

I'm also looking forward to reading Mistborn, Sean Monahan. How is it so far?

Posts: 54 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about halfway through book 1, and I absolutely love it. And I'm not really much of a fantasy reader.

I particularly like the system of magic that he has implemented; it's very inventive.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for anonymous           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm particularly interested in systems of magic (or religions), so that makes me look forward to it more.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the Mistborn trilogy last summer; they're awesomely entertaining with some nice plot twists. The magic system is great and I think the series (due to the nature of the magic system) has the best action sequences I've ever read in fantasy novels.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a one dollar book store near my house that I buy from chronically, so, a lot.

Definitely going to finally read Deathly Hallows, Crown of Stars, Malazan Book of the Fallen, Pastwatch, Great Expectation, Galilee, Mistborn, and bunch of comic books (Jonah Hex, Top 10, From Hell, Astonishing X Men, Preacher, Transmetropolitan)

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished:

I Drink for a Reason - David Cross

In Progress:
The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins
Endymion - Dan Simmons

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Under the Dome

I plan on reading some more Gaiman this year. I think I will finally given Chabon a try.

Now reading Starplex by Robert J Sawyer.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:

The Great War: Walk in Hell, by Harry Turtledove

Don't, stop, seriously, don't go on with the series. I know its addicting, and Turtledove is a hard habit to break. You want so badly to know what happens next. I read the first book in the Settling Accounts part of the series and promptly took the entire saga to a used book store. I know you won't take my advice, fellow Turtledove readers never do. But remember, I warned you.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Turtledove often has really interesting ideas, but his execution of them is almost painfully bad. The latter is more true of his newer stuff, I've found.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Turtledove often has really interesting ideas, but his execution of them is almost painfully bad. The latter is more true of his newer stuff, I've found.

Mike killed Timmy.

2 pages later:

Remember back when Mike killed Timmy?

2 pages later

There was that time when Mike killed Timmy.

2 pages later

It really is a shame Mike killed Timmy.

Noemon
Member # 1115

:: laugh :: Yeah, exactly.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

It's taking me forever to get through it, mainly because I'm only reading it piecemeal between other books. I can't concentrate on it fully, because it's just too bloated, there are too many pages between interesting events, and there are way too many POV characters. I don't think I'll be reading more Turtledove beyond this series - but I do intend to finish this series eventually.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Turtledove's earlier books, still read the short story collections and one-shots, but the ongoing 6-book mega-war series bore me to tears.

I'll likely read "Guns of the South" again soon, though, for perhaps the 10th time.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, his older stuff isn't bad. I enjoyed A Different Flesh when I read it years ago, and I have a soft spot for both Guns of the South and How Few Remain. The first few books in the Lost Legion series were fun, and Household Gods was decent. Departures and Counting Up Counting Down are both pretty good short story collections, but I haven't read any that are more recent than that.

Of course, it's been years since I've read most of those; it's possible that they would suffer from the Highlander Effect if I were to reread them now.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

Also, when I read about Custer and Dowling, I can't get the image of Zap Brannigan and Kif out of my head. I can just hear Dowling going, "Uuuhhh..."
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished:
"Sunshine" by Robin McKinley - Horrible read which is disappointing because it was recommended by three good friends and featured a great cover blurb from Gaiman.

Reading:
"Whitney, My Love" by Judith McNaught - I decided to confront my fear of the romance department. I told a coworker I wanted a recommendation with witty banter and a Austen feel. So far it's a compete success.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want funny romance, try Jennifer Crusie (although not her collaborations). I read all her stuff.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "2010?"
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thefamousmoe
Member # 12249

- posted      Profile for thefamousmoe           Edit/Delete Post 
As of Jan 1.

Finished : John Dies at the End by David Wong

In Progress : Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link

Under the Dome by Stephen King

To Read : soooo many but off the top of my head

Fiction:

Horns by Joe Hill
The Rising by Brian Keene
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
Patient Zero by Jonathon Maberry
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons

Non Fiction:

Overthrow by Stephen Kinzer
(try to finish) A Foriegn Policy of Freedom by Ron Paul
Blowback by Chalmers A. Johnson

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thefamousmoe
Member # 12249

- posted      Profile for thefamousmoe           Edit/Delete Post 
ohhhh and i want to read the Book of the New Sun saga. I heard a lot of good things about it, like its up there with Lord of the Rings.

Lryhawn. Read the Song of Ice and Fire ASAP! heh. One of the best fantasy series I've ever read. The only bad thing though, there are only four books out so far and Martin is taking his sweet time releasing the next one.

Stephen, I'm reading Under the Dome right now. It's good, but I'm not really feeling it as much as his other books. Too much political going on and not enough supernatural. I'm bout half way through it though so many things will turn around.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by thefamousmoe:

Stephen, I'm reading Under the Dome right now. It's good, but I'm not really feeling it as much as his other books. Too much political going on and not enough supernatural. I'm bout half way through it though so many things will turn around.

Classic King definitely shows up. It actually turned into one of my favorites. Of course I loved the political stuff to, so that helped.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

~ersticker [Smile]
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
My concentration hasn't been 100% lately, but I've managed to finish a few books.

The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell. The bite sized format was actually pretty perfect for me right now. Some of the sections I've already gone back over two or three times.

American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson. Oh man is he funny. Even the dark, unpleasant parts of his life he managed to infuse with a sense of nostalgia and wry humor that made them tolerable. I wouldn't want to live in Glasgow, but it was interesting to visit through his eyes.

Reread David Farland's Runelords books, but I had to give up halfway through Sons of the Oak when I realized it was just too dark for my current state of mind.

Currently working on:

Katharine of Aragon by Jean Plaidy and The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. I'm close to the end on both, and I want to read more by both authors. Fortunately, my dad lent me all four of Cornwell's Viking books, so I'm set there.

Not sure which Plaidy book I'll go with next. I started with Henry VIII's sister Mary so I might go back to his sister Margaret to get a better picture of the family. I'm just not sure how much I'm interested in the wives, or even how many of them I want to feel sympathetic towards. I know everyone thinks they're the hero of their own story, but do I want to see Anne Boleyn that way? I don't know.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Things that go (....) in the night. [Big Grin]
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Finished:
Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher
Academ's Fury - Jim Butcher
First Things First - Stephen Covey
May Day - F Scott Fitzgerald
Wizard's First Rule - Terry Goodkind
1776 - David McCullough
Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson
Elantris - Brandon Sanderson
The Gathering Storm - Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan
Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris

Currently Reading:
The Goal: A process of ongoing improvement - Eliyahu Goldratt

Reading Queue:
Run Rabbit Run - John Updike
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold - John le Carre
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Cursor's Fury - Jim Butcher

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

!pmuB
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I've been a slug the last few months. I managed to finish both books I was reading, but since February I've only started the first Percy Jackson book.

Good thing I've got The Complete Artist's Way by Julia Cameron coming. I think I need something to get past this mental block more than I thought.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished:

I drink for a Reason - David Cross
The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins
Endymion - Dan Simmons
The Engine of Reason - Paul Churchland
The Rise of Endymion - Dan Simmons
Blindsight - Peter Watts
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs - Chuck Klosterman
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
The Blank Slate - Steven Pinker
Eating Animals - Jonathan Safran Foer
The Astonishing Hypothesis - Francis Crick
Sweet Dreams: Philosophical Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness - Dan Dennett
Justice: What's the right thing to do? - Michael Sandel

Currently Reading:

Ethics for the New Millenium - Dalai Lama
The China Study - Thomas Campbell
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

So far this year Stranger in a Strange Land is my only re-read. I have a couple of very large books on my agenda though, I don't know if I'll be able to hit quite the same numbers I did last year.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, folk with giant lists of books they've read makes me feel so illiterate; it's only since summer began I've really started reading for fun again; for school (besides partially reading several history books) I read:

The Bluest Eye- Toni Morrison
Refuge- Tempest Williams (I think)
12th Night- William Shakespeare

Since summer started for me I've read:

Hidden Empire- Orson Scott Card
Book of a Thousand Days- Shannon Hale

I am now currently reading "Sabriel," by Garth Nix.

Hopefully, my list of 2010 books will be much longer by the time summer is over.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
City of Thieves by David Benioff
Nobody's Angel by Jack Clark
Act of Love by Joe R. Lansdale
Hidden Empire by Orson Scott Card
Memory by Donald Westlake
Let's Study I Corinthians by David Jackman
Big Bear Mambo by Joe R. Lansdale
Choke by Chuck Pahluniak
Watchmen by Alan Moore
The Complete Drive-In by Joe R. Lansdale

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
Finished:

[snip]

2. Mistborn: The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson
3. Mistborn: The Well of Ascension, by Brandon Sanderson
4. Mistborn: The Hero of Ages, by Brandon Sanderson

[snip]

I'm reading the last one now and it's a great series. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it!
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
Upcoming:

Changes - Jim Butcher
(re-read of other Dresden Books) - Jim Butcher

I just started on the Dresden Files books. I'm up to Proven Guilty. I discovered the series through the roleplaying game.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my list for this past month or so. I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty glorious to have reading history books as essentially a full time job. Though I do wish I had some time to read more fiction books.

· The French Civil Code, Jean Halperin
· Imagined Communities, Benedict Anderson
· Montaillou: The Promised Land of Error, Emmanuel Laudrie
· A Green History of the World: The Environment and the Collapse of Great Civilizations, Clive Pointing
· Climate, History, and the Modern World, Hubert Lamb
· The Birth of the Clinic, Michel Foucault
· Discipline and Punish, Michel Foucault
· A Short History of Medicine, Erwin Ackerknecht
· Epidemics and History: Disease Power and Imperialism, Sheldon Watts
· Plants and Empire: Colonial Bioprospecting in the Atlantic World
· Imperial Eyes, Louise Pratt
· Physical Sciences in the Middle Ages, Edward Grant (His son is actually the chair of my department)
· Leviathan and the Air-Pump, Stephen Shapin and Simon Schaffer
· A Social History of Truth: Civility and Science in Seventeenth Century England, Stephen Shapin
· Green Imperialism: Colonial Expansion, Tropical Island Edens and the Origins of Environmentalism, Richard Grove
· Nature's Body: Gender and the Making of Modern Science
· The Intelligibility of Nature, Peter Dear
· The Unbound Prometheus, David Landes
· The Transformation of European Politics, 1763 – 1848, Paul Schroeder
· Peace, War, and the European Powers, 1814 – 1914, C.J. Bartlett
· Revolutionary Europe, Jonathan Sperber
· Imperialism: The Idea and Reality of British and French Colonial Expansion, Winifred Baumgart
· Imperialism, J.A. Hobson
· Selections from Gender and Imperialism, edited by Claire Midgley, and Geography and Imperialism, edited by Morag Bell, Robert Butlin, and Michael Heffernan
· Tricouleur: French Overseas Expansion, Raymond Betts
· Mission to Civilize: The Republican Idea of Empire in France and West Africa, Alice Conklin
· The Age of Empire, 1875 – 1914, Eric Hobsbawm
· A Turn to Empire: The Rise of Liberalism in Britain and France, Jennifer Pitts
· Making Empire: Colonial Encounters and the Creation of Imperial Rule in Nineteenth Century Africa, Richard Price
· Selections from Realms of Memory: Rethinking the French Past, Pierre Nora
· France since 1870: Culture, Politics, and Society, Charles Sowerwine
· Peasants into Frenchmen: The Modernization of Rural France, 1870-1914, Eugene Weber
· Women’s Suffrage and Social Politics in the French Third Republic, Steven Hause and Ane Kenney
· The New Regime, Isser Woloch
· The Habsburg Empire, 1790 – 1918, C. A. Macartney
· Exclusive Revolutionaries: Liberal Politics, Social Experience, and National Identity in the Austrian Empire, 1848-1914, Pieter Judson
· The Making of the English Working Class, E.P. Thompson
· Britons: Forging the Nation, Linda Colley
· Liberalism and Empire: A Study in Nineteenth-Century British Liberal Thought, Uday Singh Mehta
· Family Fortunes: Men and Women of the English Middle Class 1780-1850, Leonore Davidoff and Catherine Hall
· Finance, Trade and Politics in British Foreign Policy, 1815 – 1914, Desmond Platt

ETA: Eesh. It looks like I'm bragging. I mostly only put all those up there in case anyone else had read some of them and would like to share in dorkieness.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Another 2 months have passed (almost), so I thought I'd shove this thread back to the top once more.
Herblay
Member # 11834

I just finished the Codex Alera series. It was good, but not great. It got a lot better after the first two books. Both of Jim Butcher's series are like that -- the quality improves substantially a few books in.

I'm on book 8 of the Dresden Files. The series has found a good "pulpy" niche that is both comfortable and entertaining.

I'm about halfway through George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones". It's fairly good. I mostly started it because of the new HBO series based on the novels.

I'm REALLY looking forward to two August releases: Terry Brooks continues his pre-Shannara series with the "Bearers of the Black Staff", and Brandon Sanderson is starting a new series with "The Way of Kings". I don't see how Sanderson has time with the new WOT book coming out in November.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I haven't read much of anything this year. I hate how college pretty much forced me to stop reading for pleasure, so that I scramble to read in the summer.

I've read (Not counting rereads):

CS Lewis: The four loves
..........Reflections on the Psalms
..........Surprised by Joy
..........The Screwtape Letters
..........The Abolition of Man
Lynn Flewelling: Luck in the Shadows
.................Stalking Darkness
.................Traitor's Moon (By far, this is one of the best fantasy series I've read in a long time. And the only one with a believable gay protagonist, that didn't read like poor fan-fictions)

Bart D. Ehrman: Jesus, Interrupted
Jan Siegal: Prospero's Children
Charles DeLint: The Ivory and the Horn (ssc)
................Moonlight and Vines (ssc)

Books in Process:

CS Lewis: A grief Observed
..........Til we Have Faces

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: The Cost of Discipleship

Books I plan to read this year (Upon reflection, perhaps this should be retitled "Books I plan to read this year and the next):

Lynn Flewelling: The Tamir Trilogy, the rest of the Nightrunner series.

Patrick Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind

Robin Hobb: The Farseer Trilogy

K.J. Parker: The Engineer Trilogy - Scavenger Trilogy

Brandon Sanderson: Final Empire series

CS Lewis: The Great Divorce
..........The Problem of Pain

Jane Lindskold: Breaking the Wall series

Orson Scott Card: Treason
Octavia Butler: Xenogenesis triogy
David Farland: Runelords series
Ursula K. LeGuin: The Left Hand of Darkness
..................The Telling
..................The Dispossesed
..................Cheek by Jowl (Essays)
Charles DeLint: Tapping the Dream Tree
................Muse and Reverie

[ July 29, 2010, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Emreecheek ]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Bumping this thread...
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Almost 1000 pages but couldn't put it down--can't wait for the next one! Brandon is getting better and better.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Way of the Kings is really good, Not great, but well worth reading.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Way of the Kings is really good, Not great, but well worth reading.

It's great compared to 99% of the rest of what's out there. I just finished a couple of the George R.R. Martin books, and it beats those handily.

Can you recommend anything else in the page count range (700+) that it doesn't beat handily? Martin? Jordan? Goodkind?

I think not. . . .

advice for robots
Member # 2544

I have to say Martin still owns Sanderson, IMO, although their styles are so different that it's not really apples to apples. Sanderson owns Jordan and Goodkind, however, although Brandon probably wouldn't want any comparison to Jordan.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If he didn't want comparisons to Jordan, he shouldn't have accepted the gig to finish the series. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Sanderson toally owns Martin in one very important way -- he's actually writing and publishing books.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

True.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.