FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stephen Colbert Out of Character

Author Topic: Stephen Colbert Out of Character
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fnHcbQJiYM&feature=related

Hilarious, they actually explain the whole thing of why people don't seem to realize who they are when they do field pieces.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Good God, that was awesome.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
That's uproarious.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny stuff, and very interesting. Thanks Blayne!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I love when he ventures out of character. I like Steven Colbert the person sooo much more than Steven Colbert the character. His character's way too over the top for me. I know that's what makes it funny, but it's just too much. It's too scarily close to what is really out there.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Colbert's character in small doses. I watch his show, but not as regularly as I watch the Daily Show. I do like to see him out of character...this is only the second time...it's a good reminder that there's a real person in there somewhere.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I like when his character becomes transparent and you can glimpse the "edge". I enjoy "The Word" segments much more than the interviews, for example.

He is actually a really good guy in person.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's kind of touching to see him interview non-famous people who he clearly thinks are doing something good and important. There's a couple of character moments where he makes a few jokes, but by and large, he sits back and lets them talk about what they are doing, sometimes with some gentle prompting from him.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see that, MrSquicky. I can't make it through most of his shows to get to that though.

I'm also with you kmbboots - I tend to enjoy The Word much more than his interviews. And like it when his character becomes vaguely sarcastic. When he interviews or does the report it's much too... realistic...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Colbert is probably one of the smartest people I've ever seen on television or the media. His memory retention is incredible. You saw a piece of it in the segment where he was talking about Mercury. He might not have total recall, but it must be well above average.

I've seen him in a couple out of character interviews. They aren't super hard to find. He gave a few interviews before the Colbert Report started, before he really created the character. He sounds like a genuinely funny, smart, nice, family oriented, religious, good guy.

If he ever honestly ran for a public office that I could participate in, I'd vote for him, and I'd volunteer for him.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
He also guest-starred in an episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway years ago. He wasn't too bad at improv.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He spent time at Second City, so that's no surprise.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a great interview, and I loved watching him and Steve Carrell together. I never watched the Daily Show when they were part of it, and now I'm sad I missed them.

Colbert doing his rendition of liturgical dance makes me howl every time. I grew up with this song, and I feel about the same way he does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXGhjOwvnNQ

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Man, the days when Colbert and Carrell were correspondents on that show were golden. I don't think anyone has really replaced them since. I thought Jason Jones was pretty good in that regard, but not totally there. His delivery is a little too heavy handed.

I'm glad they've all moved on to better things. They deserved it. But I miss those days.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
And like it when his character becomes vaguely sarcastic.

As opposed to the rest of his show, which is extremely sarcastic?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Man, the days when Colbert and Carrell were correspondents on that show were golden. I don't think anyone has really replaced them since.

I only caught Colbert, but yes, that was sweet. Of the new correspondents, I think I enjoy Aasif Mandvi and John Oliver's pieces the most. Jason Jones is good too, but not quite there.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite part of The Daily Show was Even Steph/ven, where they'd each take opposing sides of an issue. Carrell would often resort to yelling.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I loved Even Stephen. I liked Carrell's Produce Pete too. I remember a segment when he was making fun of texting back before keyboards and T9 were there to make texting easier. I can't remember what it was, but he was like "Man, this is so much fun, and so much easier than actually calling someone...9,9,9..4,4,4,..5,5...4..3,3,3..it's just so easy!" (I just made up those numbers, I have no idea what they'd spell).

I remember back before the Colbert Report was real he had the fake commercial for his own show, I can't remember if it was called the Colbert Report or not, but I remember when I first heard he was going to get his own show, that was a real big laugh.

In general he was a great correspondent too. I remember one segment he did back when the US first invaded Iraq, where he had to do this long recitation of foreign words and it was fast paced, and difficult to remember and deliver, and he nailed it...and then Jon asked him what he was holding, since he had his reporting notes written on the back of a piece of Babylonian pottery (the piece was on looting at the Baghdad museum) and he said "oh this? it's just a broken piece of pa, uh, pottery" and Jon replied "You know what I don't get, how does a guy remember all that and then screw up on pottery?" or some such. I wish I still had the segment.

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
He also guest-starred in an episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway years ago. He wasn't too bad at improv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc1Y5L7DPcQ
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Stephen segment, was him reporting for the Daily Show from the Oscars and he went off on a lengthy pedantic description of the dresses and it just kept going, yet felt just like a sentence you'd hear from a commentator. He nailed the line, it was beautiful.

I wish I could find it somewhere, but a second level google fu attack was fruitless.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
My favorite Stephen segment, was him reporting for the Daily Show from the Oscars and he went off on a lengthy pedantic description of the dresses and it just kept going, yet felt just like a sentence you'd hear from a commentator. He nailed the line, it was beautiful.

I wish I could find it somewhere, but a second level google fu attack was fruitless.

I think this is it.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The entire Daily Show at the Paley Center panel excerpted at that link is available on iTunes, I bought it a few months ago. Great all through.

There's quite a few Paley Center panels available there, like Dr Horrible and Mad Men and House and The Simpsons and Dollhouse and Pushing Daisies and lots more.

[ February 10, 2010, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't find it at the Daily Show site, but this is my favorite Stephen Colbert correspondent bit from TDS. The report was on rumors of a scandalous, possibly homosexual sexual encounter involving Prince Charles, and how the press in Britain was not allowed to speculate about it. This is one of the very few times I've ever seen Colbert crack up.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I've never seen him crack up that bad. That's hilarious.

And damn, usually whenever they do a story involving the royal family, we get to hear Stewart doing his impression of the Queen.

"HELLOOOOOO!"

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

I think this is it.
Thanks Shmuel! That was awesome to watch again.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.