FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 7 Reasons to Support Israel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 7 Reasons to Support Israel
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmV1ffKP0ms

Joyce Kaufman totally rocks. This should be required watching in schools.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, she's like permanently shouting.
Is there a transcript?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I could make one.

Edit: Here you go.

[ March 04, 2010, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Lisa: Oh, thanks for typing all of that out.
Even though I disagree that we should support Israel (or hinder it for that matter), I respect your effort in getting all of that down.

Actually, how do you reconcile this which seems to be a relatively straight-forward call to support Israel with your previous support of Ron Paul's call (IIRC) to simply wash our hands of the whole thing and stop interfering?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Nothing there we haven't already heard. Besides, she loses a lot of credibility right off the bat with this:

quote:
Beyond all of that, I just love Israel. I don't have to make any excuses about my love for the place where every great thing that has happened in terms of civilization was birthed.
Everything? Really?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From Papa Janitor:
...Lisa, please do not respond to any of Clive's posts in any threads (Clive you will not try to take advantage of this)...

Lisa, you're fine. This is for Clive.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what to make of her flip-flopping of the support for Israel vs. support for the United States. I think America earned a fair share of its Middle Eastern enmity from propping up dictators, but it also doesn't take a genius to see that Israel is often used as a wedge to fire up the troops whenever its time to go America bashing. The idea that Israel is reviled for supporting America more than America is reviled for supporting Israel strikes me as counter-intuitive. I will say that on a micro-level, if you get down to the leaders of the movements and the ones who push the propaganda, she's probably right. But that hardly makes a difference when it's the masses who do the killing who actually believe the propaganda.

1. Archeological proof? I have mixed feelings on that. If we were to begin basing support for nationality on archeology, we'd be in some pretty big trouble. However, in this specific case, I don't have a problem with supporting Israel's claim to exist in that particular spot because that's where they came from. I don't though, think that can be used as a carte blanche excuse to do whatever they want with anyone on the land they have a beef with.

2. Historic right. Well, sort of mixed in with archeology no? I guess it diverges a bit, and it's an interesting argument that depends on a number of things. One, it depends on your belief that ancient possession of land matters in the 21st century. I think this gets us into the same problems that archeology does. But the second premise gives me more problems. Two, she calls the British the founding fathers, and since the British handed over the land, it's all good. Well, there's a fantastic argument for colonialism. This only works if you believe that Britain had the right to give that land away, rather than simply returning it to the natives. I guess it's a bit of a gray area however since Turkey was in control and not an independent native country. (Also, can she stop shouting?)

3. Practical value. Sure. I agree.

4. Humanitarian concerns. Eh. Well alright, she's certainly right about what happened to Jews in WWII. They didn't have anywhere to go, even the United States. Making a state for them back then made a lot more sense than it does today however. She's basing her argument on the fact that in the future, someone is going to try and persecute Jews again, because they always have in the past, so Israel is a place of safety. I'll leave any possible potential for irony in the "humanitarian concern" thing out for now, since it's contentious, and just say that I'm not sure this is a good argument for the continuing support of Israel. For me to support on that ground, I would have to say to myself "The United States is a place where Jews will be persecuted, so I had better support Israel." It's a strange reason to ask non-Jews to support Israel, and frankly, I don't believe it's true.

5. Strategic ally. Sure. I agree here too. I'd say it's in some ways a wash though, as I think we piss a lot of Middle Eastern enemies off just by supporting Israel, but for the most part, Israel soaks up the damage itself rather than having it directed against us. Plus we get some decent intel out of Mossad. So sure. Good argument. I'm not sure how much we can "depend" on them though. Israel acts as Israel should; in their own interests. That interest often comes into conflict with what America's leaders feel is the best path for America. I don't criticize Israel for that one though, that's how it should be.

6. Roadblock to terrorism. Not sure what to make of this one. The whole world opinion thing isn't a good argument for me.

7. God said so. This isn't a good argument for me either. In fact, I think this likely isn't a good argument for most people. The screaming of "if God said it, that settles it!" would probably turn a lot of people off too (like me).

Honestly, the "philosophical" argument that she sidestepped, or that might have been mentioned earlier off camera, shouldn't have been ignored. The fact that Israel has a right to exist and a right to protect itself is a moral imperative that has nothing to do with any of the reasons listed here. I think you have to establish that basis before launching into why to support them. Especially if, as she seems to suggest, the world is full of anti-Semites who probably don't think Israel should exist to begin with.

I think her presentation would have been a lot better if she hadn't been yelling at me the whole time. If my child were forced to watch this in school, I would be screaming bloody murder at the next school board meeting. I don't know what could possibly make you think this should be required watching any more than the Bible should be required reading, or "An Inconvenient Truth" should be required watching. And also, at what grade would you find it most appropriate to begin indoctrinating America's youth in the defense of Israel?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Clive,
quote:
quote removed
You are pretty clearly violating what the mod of this site asked you to do. You should stop and you should edit out your previous posts.

edited to add quote, in case it gets erased. I'll remove the quote after this gets resolved.

[ March 04, 2010, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Clive,
You are pretty clearly violating what the mod of this site asked you to do. You should stop and you should edit out your previous posts.

I am not addressing Lisa.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a strange and funny feeling this was a trap, and Clive fell right in.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clive Candy:
I am not addressing Lisa.

That's not what PJ said.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Clive, I'd appreciate it if you hold off on participating in this thread until you hear from me by e-mail. If your e-mail address is not the one currently in your profile, please send me an e-mail to which I can respond.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I have a strange and funny feeling this was a trap, and Clive fell right in.

It's a Trap!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Lisa: Oh, thanks for typing all of that out.
Even though I disagree that we should support Israel (or hinder it for that matter), I respect your effort in getting all of that down.

Actually, how do you reconcile this which seems to be a relatively straight-forward call to support Israel with your previous support of Ron Paul's call (IIRC) to simply wash our hands of the whole thing and stop interfering?

That's the whole thing about statism. It makes people forget that it's people who are the real actors in the world. The government should not support Israel (or any other country or person), but that doesn't mean people shouldn't. It's just that they should be persuaded; not coerced. And having the government do it is coercion.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What form of support would you suggest the people take? Contributing financially to Israel (and if so, how), or some sort of vocal support? Anything involving the military or nationally funded state aid is the government.

I'm not criticizing by the way, I'm just trying to get a handle on what structure of support you're espousing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Clive,
quote:
quote removed

edited to add quote, in case it gets erased. I'll remove the quote after this gets resolved.

I don't know what this was all about. Apparently I missed it. Don't you just hate when work gets in the way of playing on the internet?

(I don't suppose any of you nice people would be willing to e-mail me what I missed?)

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Okay. Nothing there we haven't already heard. Besides, she loses a lot of credibility right off the bat with this:

quote:
Beyond all of that, I just love Israel. I don't have to make any excuses about my love for the place where every great thing that has happened in terms of civilization was birthed.
Everything? Really?
Pretty much. Yeah.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you feel about Chicago-style pizza?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
What form of support would you suggest the people take? Contributing financially to Israel (and if so, how), or some sort of vocal support? Anything involving the military or nationally funded state aid is the government.

Really? So you think that sending money and/or weapons is only the government? You know I'm against government aid. I've made that so clear so many times that I'm starting to feel surprised every time someone questions it.

A tremendous amount of charitable giving in this country, particularly from Jews, goes to Israel. And yet there are Israel-hating Jews like J-Street, who would love to get that to stop.

The government shouldn't take my money to give it to Israel. But it shouldn't stop me from giving it of my own free will, and it shouldn't prevent me from trying to convince others to do the same.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

So nothing great happened anywhere else? So much for your credibility, too.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
How do you feel about Chicago-style pizza?

I think it should just be called pizza, and every other kind of "pizza" should take a modifier. Why?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
So nothing great happened anywhere else? So much for your credibility, too.

And... your homework assignment for today is to look up the word "birthed" and ponder its meaning.

You might also want to consider reading just a little more carefully before jumping to ill-advised conclusions.

An apology might be nice, too.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of curious about her use of Mark Twain as an authority on the population of Palestine prior to the establishment of Israel. Something about it seems to be missing, or I'm just ignorant of what things were like there in that particular moment in history.

See...when I went there, the vast desert was broken by towns scattered roughly along a line from Jerusalem to Elat, and then again toward the sea. I'd say the vast majority of those places had permanent settlements that included buildings from every historically possible era (modern, colonial, pre-colonial, the crusades, Roman occupation, pre-Roman, and on back to the Exodus. Some wells are traditionally dated to the time of Abraham. And, even at that, there were people there before then.

So...here's my question: were those cities and towns empty in the 1860s? If not, then what exactly is the point of talking about the desert being empty when Twain rode through?

Also, do the facts of nomadic existence enter into the equation at all? It's becoming a big deal here in the US that land once "occupied" by nomadic tribal groups was usurped in the Western Expansion under the rubric of "they weren't using it." If herders have a practice of letting areas recover for stretches of time, the fact that they weren't around when Mark Twain blew through on a guided tour really wouldn't be relevant.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Lisa, and you might want to either narrow your definition of "birthed" or broaden your definition of "great".

One could, with more accuracy make the same statement about Iraq. Still wouldn't be true, but it would be closer.

[ March 04, 2010, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I can't think of anything significant for civilization that Israel has birthed. I mean, I really can't. For the brief period of history where it was at all significant, it was very much a third-rate empire that, as far as I can tell, didn't make any notable contributions to civilization.

Is she talking about Jesus?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr.Squicky,

Actually, Israel is a hotbed of innovation today. There is so much amazing science and technology advancement going on there that they truly can lay claim to being a force for the good of all mankind.

I know the claim was made historically, but it's worth examining from a modern perspective as well.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Israel as a country that is 60 years old? I can't either.

If you consider Israel and Judaism the same entity, then yeah, it has birthed a lot.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Yeah, sorry, I meant from a historical perspective, not including the developments since the reestablishment of Israel.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Certainly Jewish people (not necessarily from Israel, but we'll be nice and stretch) have made significant contributions to art and culture, but not "birthed" them all by themselves.

Sumeria had some vague proto-democratic ideas, but that wasn't Israel. Plenty of great things happened in the far East that had nothing to do with Israel.

Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Certainly Jewish people (not necessarily from Israel, but we'll be nice and stretch) have made significant contributions to art and culture, but not "birthed" them all by themselves.

Sumeria had some vague proto-democratic ideas, but that wasn't Israel. Plenty of great things happened in the far East that had nothing to do with Israel.

From a purely historical perspective Judaism gave rise to the two largest religious beliefs on the planet.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Oh sure, so we're back to blaming the Jews.
I don't think we can blame Islam and Christianity on them.

But on the positive side, I am indeed scratching my head as to the great things that Israel contributed.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
From a purely historical perspective Judaism gave rise to the two largest religious beliefs on the planet.

So? Plenty of great things have been accomplished by people who were not part of either religion.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Stephan,
Those are definitely contributions, but I wouldn't consider those as contributions to civilization per se. I'm not trying to denigrate them, just say that they don't fit the criteria that I'd use for that categorization.

Of course, I'm willing to grant them and say, besides that, what did Israel contribute?

It's not like they developed the wheel, or roads, or the stirrup, or writing, or the principles of science, or algebra, or representative government, or well, anything that I can think of a contribution to development of civilization.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Maybe someone could write to that woman and ask what she had in mind.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I bet it's Jesus.
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
That's Puerto Rico.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I can't think of anything significant for civilization that Israel has birthed. I mean, I really can't. For the brief period of history where it was at all significant, it was very much a third-rate empire that, as far as I can tell, didn't make any notable contributions to civilization.

Is she talking about Jesus?

Seriously? Have you met me?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Stephan,
Those are definitely contributions, but I wouldn't consider those as contributions to civilization per se. I'm not trying to denigrate them, just say that they don't fit the criteria that I'd use for that categorization.

Of course, I'm willing to grant them and say, besides that, what did Israel contribute?

It's not like they developed the wheel, or roads, or the stirrup, or writing, or the principles of science, or algebra, or representative government, or well, anything that I can think of a contribution to development of civilization.

Actually, alphabetic writing is ours. So is the idea of human rights, or limited powers of government (kings).
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Of course it is. I like Shakespeare in the original Hebrew as well.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Seriously? Have you met me?

I think he's referring to Joyce Kaufman who apparently is a reborn Christian going to Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, alphabetic writing is ours
When you say alphabetic writing is yours, what exactly do you mean?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Assuming we're talking about the Jews here, they contributed an enormous portion of a text that has been extremely influential in Western culture since...well, almost since there's been a West.

That's nothing to sneeze at.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Scott, is it everything great?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

And, as I said, I wouldn't consider that as a contribution to civilization, but I'm willing to grant it and say, okay, besides that?
Scott R
Member # 567

You're referring to this?

quote:
I don't have to make any excuses about my love for the place where every great thing that has happened in terms of civilization was birthed.
Nah-- that's carrying the Israel-love a bit far.

But let's be realistic: Jewish scripture is a HUGE part of Western culture, and has been for a long, long time. So, in terms of civilization, Israel has contributed. It's a mistake to overlook a text that has inspired poets, writers, laws, etc.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Actually, alphabetic writing is ours.

nope.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

quote:
I don't have to make any excuses about my love for the place where every great thing that has happened in terms of civilization was birthed.

But let's be realistic: Jewish scripture is a HUGE part of Western culture, and has been for a long, long time. So, in terms of civilization, Israel has contributed. It's a mistake to overlook a text that has inspired poets, writers, laws, etc.

QFT

The influence also shows up in laws, public policy, and societal norms.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Ghanian Universities, Arabic numerals, and Mesopotamian cuneiform were Jewish
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

She might mean that the alphabet is "ours" in a sense other than, "We were the first to have an alphabet."

I dunno, but that's why I asked.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

quote:

Sure. Had she said that instead of "where every great thing that has happened in terms of civilization was birthed", I would have agreed. Since she did go with the delusional fanaticism, she loses credibility.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.