FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stargate Universe -spoilers- (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stargate Universe -spoilers-
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I am cynical. I quit grad school with just a master's, but looking at the phds, very few were all that intelligent. One of the postdocs I worked with was seriously too stupid to live (he could have blown us all up a few times, once lit himself on fire). Because of the requirement for unique research, there is a super specialization to a lot of phd programs. Big picture concerns are not much of an issue- it is more what does widget 2984763 do in context of this specific situation (which half the time is an artificial situation anyway). Perhaps other programs and degrees are better, but seriously, if I was picking someone to figure this crazy technology out, I would pick people who actually work with the product- an electrician versus an engineer.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I know plenty of bachelors/masters/phd level engineers, chemists, biologists, psychologists, etc. While I'd say there is a greater proportion of these folks who are capable and I'd have high expectations of (in general), there are plenty with some combination of the following faults:
1) stupid but persistant
2) brilliant but incredibly unwise
3) smart, but very reserved/timid
4) poor social skills
5) poor political skills

Toss together a few of those and even though you're dealing with a bunch of presumably "smart" people, they may make many poor decisions (especially in a group setting).

Hell, I know plenty of times when a bunch of engineers actually talking about their own subject of expertise will make poor decisions because of even one vocal person, or because they are pressured by management or whatever (i.e. far less trying than the current situation).

And to build off of what scholarette said, the people most suited for this kind of situation are mechanics and electricians and plumbers, not archaeologists and physicists and aerospace engineers... I can design a ship to Mars, but put me on said ship and I'll be far less useful than someone who has practical hands-on knowledge of how much you can torque this kind of valve before it breaks etc... and no one should particularly expect either of us to be competent at establishing a government from the survivors of a plane crash (or whathaveyou).

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that while this might be true in real life, it seems that this is precisely the opposite of the state of affairs in the Stargate universe.

In Stargate, you have your super-smart Carter and McKay. With a strong grounding in theory, they also never hand-off fixing stuff or building stuff to mechanics and technicians. They are almost always better at doing the work that underlings might do, regardless of whether the system is Ancient, Wraith, human, etc.

The Destiny expedition did get the mechanics and technicians, people without theory background, and Rush is definitely portrayed as being inferior to Carter and McKay. It's not working out nearly as well.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
1) stupid but persistant
2) brilliant but incredibly unwise
3) smart, but very reserved/timid
4) poor social skills
5) poor political skills

Toss together a few of those and even though you're dealing with a bunch of presumably "smart" people, they may make many poor decisions (especially in a group setting).

How great would it have been to get these characters instead?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Last night's episode left me feeling "meh." A filler episode.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Yeah.
They didn't seem to do a good job of illustrating the appeal of the planet. Considering that they're just scratched the surface of Destiny and they're just beginning to really use the communication stones to bring over qualified personnel*, I didn't really get the appeal.

Then again, I thought the self-stranding at the end of BSG was stupid as well [Wink]

$
$
$
$
Apparently, Daniel will be making an appearance, possibly on the Destiny. So that could be a start.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, this was a pretty good episode that ended interestingly. I suspect the planet will actually have SOMETHING of importance on it and soon they will find a way to turn Destiny around.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

I liked this episode a lot. But in the clips for next week, was that a dinosaur?!? To me, that doesn't bode well. And I'm pretty sure they'll figure out how to go back and get those four main characters of the show. They won't be gone and lost forever.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Ack, they wasted the Daniel appearance.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
The new episode still hasnt been posted on the web, curse them for hindering my free viewing!
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Ack, they wasted the Daniel appearance.

I strongly disagree. I thought the role was quite clever. Actually, for the most part I quite liked this episode. I still think Rush is a jerk and Young a not-quite-sociopath, but I am a teeny bit more sympathetic towards Rush.

As opposed to last week's episode, which made me dislike Young even more than I had.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you like Young less after "Faith"?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I strongly disagree. I thought the role was quite clever.

I'm willing to be convinced. Why was the role clever and why couldn't "stargate recruiter as figment of Rush's imagination/memory" have been some lesser guest star?

It seems to me that they have limited chances to guest star people from the other series without making it a bit hokey so they should reserve it for something more substantial.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Cheating married men always endear me to them. [Razz] Also, T.J. is TERRIFIED of him finding out. She was, in fact, planning to leave the project just before they ended up on Destiny -- now we know why.

quote:
quote:

why couldn't "stargate recruiter as figment of Rush's imagination/memory" have been some lesser guest star?
It could have been, but it wouldn't have been as good. Daniel was the SG1 conscience/soothsayer in many ways; this is a continuation of that role. (See "Abyss", where ascended!Daniel counseled O'Neill, who was being tortured by Ba'al.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I strongly agree, more daniel is always good.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
more daniel is always good.

So very true.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Eh, in general I agree.

Daniel is certainly charismatic in a way that the cast of SGU is not. That said, I'm not convinced that this was the best way of using one of Daniel's probably limited number of appearances going forward. But I see where you (rivka) are coming from.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Cheating married men always endear me to them. [Razz] Also, T.J. is TERRIFIED of him finding out. She was, in fact, planning to leave the project just before they ended up on Destiny -- now we know why.

quote:
quote:

why couldn't "stargate recruiter as figment of Rush's imagination/memory" have been some lesser guest star?
It could have been, but it wouldn't have been as good. Daniel was the SG1 conscience/soothsayer in many ways; this is a continuation of that role. (See "Abyss", where ascended!Daniel counseled O'Neill, who was being tortured by Ba'al.)

I guess my thought process was that we already knew he was cheating with TJ, so it's not like we like him any less because of that when we already knew. TJ wanting to get away however is suspect, you're right. I think it had more to do with her just wanting to have her kid grow up with fresh air.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Did we know, or did we suspect? I thought it was just the latter. Anyway, regardless, shoving it in my face doesn't help.

And fresh air or no, that was sheer, naked terror at the notion of him knowing.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh dear, this is definitely in Stargate territory with this episode.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Yep. And I like it.
Sala
Member # 8980

I think the show may finally be finding its legs. At least, I hope so.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Friday's episode, and I really liked it. It was nice to see Greer turn into a real person instead of just "angry guy" like he's been in a lot of the episodes. It was a needed change.

My only concern is that last time they gave me a good dilemma, they immediately found Rush and went back to the status quo. The Rush/Young throwdown was the best thing about the entire first half of the season. I still want repercussions.

Putting Chloe (who actually stepped up and did something, can you believe it?), Eli, and Lt Boinks-a-lot together has potential. If the first thing they do next episode is realize the ship is turning around for another pass of the galaxy and save them, it would waste a really great set up.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

But on the other hand its not really that good for the show for them to be separated for too long.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

That was definitely ascension.

Details on tv tropes.

Jenos
Member # 12168

- posted      Profile for Jenos           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious what low temperatures have to do with ascension - it is likely the case, but given what we know about the scientific nature of ascension(from that atlantis episode) I wonder how temperature fits in.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Not a bad episode, but somebody on the writing staff seriously needs to take a class on developing the plots they set up instead of immediately resolving them. I half expect TJ to have the baby next week so we can get that over with.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

low heart rate is correlated with ascension as per the time mackay got zapped by the supergenius ascension ray on SGA and said that 'once your heart rate gets to here you can ascend' lower temperature can provide this indirectly in a jiffy and well as maybe turn him into a biological superconductor.

Either way its the most plausible explanation of why he went poof that leaves the possibility of him still being 'alive' and a chance to come back, otherwise hes dead for good.

Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

Last night's episode was seriously lame. I fast forwarded through most of it.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Awesome episode, this is more like Stargate SG1 with a side order of Battlestar other then the otherway around.

O'NEILL!!!! SQUEE!

Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it, some classic Daniel-Jack moments.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenos
Member # 12168

- posted      Profile for Jenos           Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this thread for season 2. What do you think is going to happen with the Lucian alliance folks? Given certain actors being listed on IMDB, I guess some LA folks will stay on board.

Any ideas on what is going on Rush's head? I'm leaning toward he's going crazy, but there is that other hypothesis he floats out there.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Two whole episodes past, any comments?
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Im watching Syfy right now and they keep showing a commercial announcing the return, and end of SGU. Ten episodes to wrap it all up is better than what could be.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Wait what?

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Im just happy they were allowed ten episodes to end the series and possibly the entire StarGate... well universe. If Whedon had been connected to the show they would have terminated all production five minutes after everyone went home for the day and never show the completed episodes.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
to end the series and possibly the entire StarGate... well universe.

Unlikely. There's talk of movies again.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Hi McKay, bye McKay.
I miss that guy.

happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted Sheppard to appear to give him an orange or something.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I appreciated the call back to the joke about McKay staring at endowed soldiers chest (I dont know her name) the quick joke along with the referance to McKay the episode before was a highlight.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

They have updated the SGU episodes streaming on Netflix, not current but I am surprised that they are keeping so close.
Melvin Nevergold
Member # 12552

- posted      Profile for Melvin Nevergold   Email Melvin Nevergold         Edit/Delete Post 
So has no one noticed that every stargate show has had an out of shape character that slowly becomes in shape?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
They have updated the SGU episodes streaming on Netflix, not current but I am surprised that they are keeping so close.

Ok, having just finished Netflix-streaming all 4 seasons of Ugly Betty, I am now catching up on SGU, which I had given up on.

And NOW I finally realize why David Blue (Eli) looked so familiar!

*facepalm*

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by Melvin Nevergold:
So has no one noticed that every stargate show has had an out of shape character that slowly becomes in shape?

Really? so you think That David Hewlett was healthier at the end of SG Atlantis than the begining. And the fact that David Blue and the other curvier civilians havent visibly changed has been annoying me for a while. How long have they been on that ship? and no one has lost wieght!
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the fact that David Blue and the other curvier civilians havent visibly changed has been annoying me for a while. How long have they been on that ship? and no one has lost wieght!
This is hardly the writer's fault. What do you expect the actors to do, starve themselves? These guys are no-name TV actors, not Tom Hanks or Christian Bale hunting for Oscars.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I understand why they havent lost weight themselves, but I like to think that if I were a producer I would use the visible changing of the actors to further dramatize the setting of the series. Make it a point as the producer to help them do it safely and in a healthy matter, and not just chubby actors but maybe a ripped one as well. The show barely got a second season and is ending, I dont think I would go through the ordeal either but wouldnt it be a bit silly if they had five seasons and everyone still looked healthy despite lack of sustenence being a re-occuring plot device.
rivka
Member # 4859

You do realize that while any SG show is filming, they routinely work 5 or 6 12+ hour days a week? It's a grueling pace, and doesn't really allow for much else.

Leaving aside the fact that while they have had to ration several times, the majority of the time they have not only been getting enough supplies from planets to eat well, they have enough excess calories to be fermenting some of them in a still!

Intermittent periods of calorie restriction alternated with excess calorie availability actually tends to cause net weight gain more often than loss.

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I understand why they havent lost weight themselves, but I like to think that if I were a producer I would use the visible changing of the actors to further dramatize the setting of the series.
I'll say again, it's an unreasonable request to make of an actor if they aren't award hunting.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.