FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books You LOVED as a Kid (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books You LOVED as a Kid
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark is Rising, by Susan Cooper (the book, not the whole series. I enjoyed the series, but it was only the second book that resonated with me in the way CT describes. I was so disappointed when I turned 11 and my pets weren't afraid of me, the radio didn't go to static when I got close to it, and so forth).

Sir MacHinery by Tom McGowen. I sort of suspect that this one wouldn't hold up so well, were I to read it as an adult, but man did I love it as a kid. Looking at the cover on amazon a moment ago, I was struck by how absolutely right the cover looked to me, simply as a result of having spent a lot of time looking at it as a kid.

All of the Little House books, and all of the Great Brain books.

Lord of the Rings

Edith Hamilton's Mythology

Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Pinkwater

Black and Blue Magic by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Flies. It helped me come to realize that there is less distance between a child and an adult than I had realized. It was also my first book dealing with things like serious degenerate behavior and how society is maintained.

Encyclopedia Brown.

Pippi In The South Seas.

Flying Solo (Roald Dahl)

Bunnicula, Howliday Inn, The Celery Stalks at Midnight. By James and Deborah Howe.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
As a young child, I absolutely adored Noisy Nora and The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash.

As an older child, I absolutely adored Ender's Game (read it over and over until it fell apart) and A Wrinkle in Time.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, lots of great memories stirred up, here! Let's see . . .
The Mushroom Planet books
A Wrinkle in Time
Harriet the Spy (I had a notebook, too!)
The Happy Hollisters (a book club series like the Bobbsey Twins, except one came every month. I never forgave my parents for stopping my subscription because of reading too much and grades dropping. That just never made sense to me. I really don't think the two were connected.)

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Phantom Toll Booth by Norton Juster! How could I have forgotten that?

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.

Wump World by Bill Peet

A short story that I adored as a kid was "The Pale Green Pants With Nobody Inside" in the Doctor Seuss collection The Sneeches and Other Stories. I was terrified of it in the best, most delicious sort of way.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
So You Want to be a Wizard--Diane Duane.

To me, that's what children's books are supposed to be.

Anything by Jonathan Bellairs, especially The Curse of the Blue Figurine. Oh man, those books were good.

I read Ender's Game when I was 13, a few months too late for the "no older than 12" rule.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I also cannot believe I forgot The Phantom Tollbooth.

There is some great stuff in here.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shedemei_82
Member # 8424

- posted      Profile for Shedemei_82   Email Shedemei_82         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game
A Secret Garden
Podkayne of Mars and Have Space Suit, Will Travel, Heinlein
Little House on the Prairie (series)
Nancy Drew (series)
Harriet the Spy
Matilda
Island of the Blue Dolphins
A Wind in the Door, Madeleine L'Engle
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Giver
The City of Ember
Call of the Wild
The Secret of NIMH

Gah, I forgot So You Want to be a Wizard!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, but I really can't remember. I can't remember what books I was particularly reading when, although I know that EAP was the summer I turned 14 and Jane Eyre was the summer I turned 15.

When I was 11, my dad swept away all the books from my room and placed a box full of used classics from the library book sale in the living room. When I had read most of the books in that box, I could have my other books back. I remember what books were in that box (Aesop's Fables, which I enjoyed; Silas Marner, whose status I found mystifying; Conneticut Yankee, which resulted in a power struggle of epic proportions (I "won"); A Tale of Two Cities, which was sad; Lord of the Flies[/i], which scared me; 1984, which I simply did not find plausible; The Merchant of Venice, which I didn't understand; The Phantom of the Opera, which I found fascinating), but I don't remember the books I was reading that were taken away.

Oh, I do remember some! The shoe books! Ballet Shoes and Dancing Shoes in particular.
Bunnicula

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
It's funny, but I really can't remember.

I'm having this problem as well. While I loved many of the books mentioned in this thread, I suspect (or know) that I read many after age 12.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina: There's a great Silas Marner movie that made a difference in my literary life as a teenager.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
The Elephant Who Liked to Smash Small Cars by Jean Merrill - my dad would sing the little song. I still remember it as does he. It was a huge favorite in our house and I wish I could get a copy again to share with my kids.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1370988.The_Elephant_Who_Liked_To_Smash_Small_Cars

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein juveniles.
The Dark is Rising*.
Narnia*.
"Julias Reise" and its sequels, by the Norwegian fantasy writer Bente Lohne. "Oh! Heavy is my burden!"
Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books.
Hardy boys.

* I read these in translation.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
island of the blue dolphins
my side of the mountain
where the red fern grows
mrs frisby and the rats of nimh
cricket in times square
danny champion of the world
great brain series
charlottes web
owls in the family
a spell for chameleon
andrew henrys meadow

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the amount of overlap here says more about the size of the children's book market when we were kids or the similarity of taste among kids who would eventually like OSC's work enough to find Hatrack and participate here. Gah. That's a convoluted sentence. And there are a number of other possible explanations. My brain's a bit too fried at the moment to either articulate them or come up with a better way of phrasing my initial sentence.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the size of the children's book market has been pretty big for quite some time. From a totally anecdotal point of view, as an elementary school teacher for the past 25 years, there have been a lot of children's books available for kids to read.

I vote for the overlap being a result of us having a similarity of taste.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
It's funny, but I really can't remember.

I'm having this problem as well. While I loved many of the books mentioned in this thread, I suspect (or know) that I read many after age 12.
Same here. I also know many of them weren't written yet when I was 12 or younger! ;-)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Was!

Sorry for the very belated bump, just wanted to add that one on there.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of my Calvin & Hobbes treasuries.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.