FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me with downloading Linux....what should I do?

Author Topic: Help me with downloading Linux....what should I do?
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend's computer is slow and old, but she doesn't want to buy a newer one (lack of money issues). Therefore, I am going to install Linux on that machine, to counteract its lack of speed. This will be my first time. What should I do? I need your help, o geeky ones! I'm a Linux virgin.

My machine is very fast. Should I burn Linux to a CD, and then install it on her computer that way? Would that be easier than browsing to and downloading it on her ancient machine?

All she needs is basic word processing and web browsing. Where/what should I download?

Help!

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Dance the Linux summoning dance.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm not a big linux person and may be out of date on this, last time i looked into it Ubuntu was the distribution of choice for casual/non technie users. You can download a disk image here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
You then burn that image, boot her computer using the freshly made disk, and follow whatever installation instructions they provide. It should come with a copy of firefox (which may be a little out of date but should be current as of whenever the disk image was made) and a copy of Open Office, which should be fine for basic word processing.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Thank you. [Smile]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Linux Mint is also pretty slick and easy to use, and comes in soothing green tones.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I just burned Ubuntu. I'm about to install it later today. I'm so excited. It's really sad, but I'm excited.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I know you already got started, but I wanted to also recommend Mint. It is basically Ubuntu with all the media codecs that are proprietary. This lets you immediately see Youtube or other media files without having to do any configuration or additional downloads.

EDIT: with many Linux distributions you can actually use the CD as a live image that lets you test drive it. You then begin the install by clicking a install button on the desktop. They do this so you can try out your hardware before you install the OS.

Also, if her computer is really old, you can try Xubuntu. It is Ubuntu with different desktop environment that is designed for older systems.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Thanks, lem. I installed Ubuntu. It works great, but I can't get it to recognize her Netgear adapter. Is there a good forum to ask about this? I asked on linux.com network forum, but that forum looks like it doesn't get many posts. Do you have any thoughts? Thanks.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I would try the Ubuntu Forums. They have a pretty robust community. What make and model is your wireless card? Is it USB or internal?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
I would try the Ubuntu Forums. They have a pretty robust community. What make and model is your wireless card? Is it USB or internal?

USB. I think it's a WNDA3100. I'll have to check tonight when I get to her place.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.