FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Teacher Incentive Bonus Pay (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Teacher Incentive Bonus Pay
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
But it does make it difficult to discuss about in a manner that will convince other people of your opinions.

I simply don't agree that wants stay at the same levels when circumstances change. My mental states don't reflect that, and from all of the psychology I've studied, I believe mental states to be extremely malleable by both individuals themselves and society/outside influences.

Even if your mental state of wanting something stayed the same, I don't see why that should be relevant to any sort of social policy. So you (general you) happen to want an iPad exactly as much whether you have a "strong want" to fix the A/C or a "small want" to fix the A/C. So what? Maybe you're just a very wanting type of person (which most happiness research suggests is a bad thing). Interpersonal comparisons of utility just aren't that interesting for social policy - as I think Sen has demonstrated quite well in his semi-philosophy/semi-economics writings.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
I don't see why that should be relevant to any sort of social policy.

I don't see that anyone has suggested that it should.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

I believe in the context of the greater discussion of teacher pay and whether bright young people are unwilling to get into lower-paying jobs because they want higher incomes or not, we're talking about social policy (i.e. should teachers be given higher pay, possibly through incentive bonuses).

If you guys just want to argue that you're right and Orinico is wrong, that's cool, but that seems like an immensely boring discussion, given that we all only have our own mental states and experiences to refer to. Like I said above, it defaults to a "I'm right, you're wrong. No, I'm right and you're wrong" discussion very quickly. Carry on if you want, however.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit: we can measure the fundamentally subjective question of relative want remarkably well. There's nothing surprising about being able to objectively measure fundamentally subjective things, so long as the domain has certain properties (notably, that the things to be measured manifest directly and falsifiably in behavior).

The notion of absolute want (and whether or not it "really exists", insofar as that statement makes any sense) certainly is an interesting question to tackle. It will never, however, be particularly relevant to whether or not teachers choose to enter teaching or not. Whatever someone's absolute want, entering teaching comes down to a relative choice between Teaching + teacher's salary (and the constraints associated with it) and the next best option (current job, likely) + the constraints associated with it. That's a question of relative want.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rabbit: we can measure the fundamentally subjective question of relative want remarkably well.
Only because of the way you have defined want. Its very dangerous to define something so that you can measure.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Not when you also have a strong theoretical framework that addresses why that definition is useful for understanding collective human behavior.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say it's necessary to define terms so that you can measure them. It's dangerous to assume that your term so defined encompasses the entire meaning of the word.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I believe in the context of the greater discussion of teacher pay and whether bright young people are unwilling to get into lower-paying jobs because they want higher incomes or not, we're talking about social policy (i.e. should teachers be given higher pay, possibly through incentive bonuses).

True. But no one (that I can see) has suggested that said policy changes should be related to the way those teachers choose to spend their money. That was a side discussion.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

And I was connecting the main discussion to the side discussion, as well as disagreeing with the concept of "want" that I saw being used. Or am I not allowed to do that?
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
You're allowed, but it sounded immensely boring [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Or am I not allowed to do that?

Of course.

I don't see the point of trying to connect the two discussions back like that, but hey, go for it.

Jhai
Member # 5633

Excellent. Shall we see how many distinct discussions we can get going on this thread? I believe the most I've ever seen at Hatrack was four.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. Here's another side discussion:

My earlier mention of 60% of MA teachers burning out in two years, to be corrected by (Destineer? Too lazy to go back and check right now) is a good anecdotal example of the idea that the first claim you hear is the one you accept as true, even if its false. I heard the 60% number about 8 years ago, and have had it corrected 3-4 times since then, and STILL site that number unless I bother to go look up the true burnout rate.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.