FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Celebrating Draw Muhammad Day (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Celebrating Draw Muhammad Day
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh?

What point is there in drawing those pictures if you don't want any Muslims to see it?

Also, you said that you and your friends drew about 40 of those pictures. What would you say the odds are that a Muslim saw one of them and was offended? Are you OK with that, or do you feel bad about it?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Then why do it in the first place?

The entire thing is supposed to be about 'protecting' our free speech rights. But I don't think that they were in any danger to begin with. South Park's creators are probably laughing their heads off at this entire fiasco. The media totally flipped just because some guy with a dial-up connection posted on his blog that South Park's creators should die.

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
To me, that is the spirit of Everybody Draw Muhammad Day; to make something that no one could rationally say is offensive, yet makes groups rally with signs that say I should be killed for it.

See the thing is for every person out there who draws a harmless picture like yours there's going to be somebody that draws Muhammad strapped to a bomb. It's a terrible idea, and it's only adding fuel to the fire if you ask me. More than anything I'm worried about the extremist response to this, because this time a lot more people will feel like their actions are justified.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You considering them to be "bonkers" doesn't really change the circumstances for me.
Just so we're clear, there's eventually a line where you stop appeasing someone's bonkers beliefs, right?
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, it depends on the circumstances.

But I can't really imagine your judgment of them as "bonkers" to factor into my decision making.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
Drawing Mohammed is like flag burning. It is intentionally provocative to prove a point.

The point being proven is that drwaing a cartoon isn't actually hurting anyone, but sometimes the response is, and we need to focus on people who are being actually hurt (and killed) over people who are having their feelings hurt.

Freedom isn't really freedom if it only applies when you talk about things that extremists aren't willing to kill you over. Letting that pass just tells people that you can shut people up about whatever you don't want talked about by threatening violence.

There is definitely some truth in that, but by the same token there is a standard of behavior that should be accepted. If you are TRYING to provoke someone you don't really have the right to be offended if they get upset.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

What point is there in drawing those pictures if you don't want any Muslims to see it?

Also, you said that you and your friends drew about 40 of those pictures. What would you say the odds are that a Muslim saw one of them and was offended? Are you OK with that, or do you feel bad about it?

There wasn't really a point. We just though it was a ridiculous day. We weren't trying to make a statement on free speech or anything.

And since my friend Kyle has all of them I would say zero have seen them. He just got a new paper shredder we were going to test out today. [Wink]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Ah. I thought that you drew them on sidewalks and the like.

Would it be fair to say that you drew them in order to participate in some some small way?

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea: I don't think people are offended if someone is upset, we're offended when someone says that people should not be allowed to upset someone else, and if they do it is acceptable to threaten and/or kill them.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we are actually in agreement on a lot of this, MC. I am not saying that if they DO go ahead and blow something up the person who dies deserved to, or that the people who did so were right or justified in any way.

But I also believe that if you go walking in the worst neighborhood in a city alone, at night, and start arguing with drug dealers on the corner you will probably get shot, and you WILL bear some of the responsibility for it. You SHOULD be safe, and they SHOULDN'T be selling drugs, but that doesn't mean confronting them about it is smart, or a good way to avoid getting beat up or even killed.

Not to mention there area lot of good people out there would would also be offended, even though they would never even consider violence as a means of expressing that.

I don't think alienating the reasonable factions of a group to deliberately piss off the violent factions is a good path to peace. It won;t help us change the mistaken persepctive that they have, one that says it is us against them.

It SHOULD be all of US against the idiots who use violence, regardless of faith, race, or nationality.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the whole idea of the day was pretty stupid. When we follow suit, we’re not exercising our freedom of speech to deliberately inflame a great swath of people who hold something sacred. We’re abusing it. What was anybody trying to prove to anyone, and was it really worth it? Sure, here in the western world you can say what you want about just about anything. We forget that this is a hard-won privilege that should be used with respect and common sense, if nothing else.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that those most against the Draw M day are Mormons. I have been around long enough to know this, although haven't posted here in a long time. Just find that interesting.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.