FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Video Game Recommendation?

Author Topic: Video Game Recommendation?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
So at night I am usually really mentally exhausted so can't really do anything productive for the hour or so before I go to sleep. I like playing video games a lot - but am happiest when the game teaches me something useful.

Recently, I've been playing a trading game, where you own a spaceship and fly around selling goods. But it's too easy now.

Any recommendations for a game to play at night? I'm looking for business-y themed games... thanks! =)

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved the Roller Coaster Tycoon games, which seem to be your kind of thing given your description of your preferences. The gameplay consists of you building and managing an amusement park, and lets you design roller coasters and rides, with a heavy emphasis on financial management. They're all pretty old, but I've been playing them for about ten years and they never got tiring.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
Rollercoaster Tycoon. Is. Amazing.

End.

Also, try playing "Zeus" and, afterwards, the extension pack "Poseidon". It's, in my opinion, the finest game of its kind. It came out in 1998, and it's not like Age of Empires. It's much more like Rolelrcoaster Tycoon. You build the Greek cities in which the myths take place. It's really, really cool. Impression Games and Sierra came out with it, and it's approximately 10 billion times better than any of their other city-building games. Seriously. I hated Ceaser and Pharaoah (Sp). It came out in about 1998.

Zeus on Amazon.com

Also, the Nancy Drew series of games is pretty awesome.
Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch

If you think they're too easy, try Siberia. It has a fabulous plot, and is really pretty.

Siberia

The Nancy Drew and Siberia games are adventure games, however, whereas Zeus and Rollercoaster Tycoon are more traditional for a computer.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a REALLY in depth game, you could always try Eve. Its too in depth for me, but I know some enjoy it. Blayne could probably tell you more.

If you want an offline game you could always try Freelancer. You can pick it up for around $5-$10 now days. The only problem is that it only runs on XP. I haven't been able to get it to work on Vista or Windows 7.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
X-Com on some sort of compatibility mode would be awesome.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
X-Com is a great game - and I have beaten that game on the hardest level so many times but it still is fun every now and then.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into RollerCoaster Tycoon - actually, I bought Capitalism II (which people say is a top game for business simulation) and tried to play last night but in several minutes was thinking, "Oh, gosh, this takes more mental energy than my actual job!"

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Galaga. It teaches that you keep fighting even if it looks like you can't ever win.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Definately go for EVE-Online if you want the worlds best most indepth free market economy trading and space sim, and thats only PART of what the game offers you! Also allows the worlds best sandbox game, sure there's other players and 90% of the them are jerks but at least that way you won't feel guilty for driving them out of business!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite game of all time is Second Sight.

My favorite time killer online is Catan online.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything Sid Meier.

Check out Alpha Centauri if you havent.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
Anything Sid Meier.

Check out Alpha Centauri if you havent.

I still play Alpha Centauri fairly often. My friends and I do multiplayer. Good stuff.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing Tropico 3. It's a fun little sim.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
X-Com is a great game - and I have beaten that game on the hardest level so many times but it still is fun every now and then.

Did you beat X-Com: Apocalypse on a difficult setting?

NOTE: I know the game is controversial as a successor to X-Com but I have a comprehensive argument as to why it is fantastic and should be played.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:

Did you beat X-Com: Apocalypse on a difficult setting?

NOTE: I know the game is controversial as a successor to X-Com but I have a comprehensive argument as to why it is fantastic and should be played.

A game came out a few years ago called UFO: Extraterrestrial Defense or something like that. It was made by the some of the same people that made Xcom, and it is basically an updated version of XCOM 1 and 2.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Try Galaga. It teaches that you keep fighting even if it looks like you can't ever win.

Try Pong. It teaches you that, whatever life throws at you, you can simply slap it right back or get out of its way. [Razz]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.