FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » World Cup 2010 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: World Cup 2010
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should be happy we got a draw. Germany was stomped by Serbia. I'm sure prior to the game the Germans were trying to decide by how many goals a piece the strikers and midfielders would get.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
We need need need England to win their next two matches.

USA won that game, somehow that ref just decided he didn't want USA to win.

final score, 2-2 [Cry]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koman_Coulibaly

(before the wikipedia page got edited again:)

"Coulibaly is rumoured to hate the United States of America with the burning passion of a white hot sun."

[ June 18, 2010, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: LargeTuna ]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen only the final few minutes of the match as I got home from work, so I don't know how it could have been 4 for the US.

Anyway the French commentators were appalled by the decision on the third goal. They were showing replays after replays and there was no visible reason to disallow the goal. But it's done and the US will unfortunately have to live with it.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, French Eurosport says that the referee signaled an offside position on the 3rd US goal. Of course no US player was offside... I wish they allowed video replays in cases like this. No, more, I wish they *required* video replays when cancelling goals!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it was called off-sides but why on earth would the ref be making that call from behind the action instead of relying on the linesmen?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
We need need need England to win their next two matches.

Actually, I think we're in pretty good shape (although we should be in better shape - stupid official). As long as we beat Algeria, we have a good chance of getting through. We definitely want to score as many goals as possible, just in case advancement comes down to tie breaks.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
I've seen only the final few minutes of the match as I got home from work, so I don't know how it could have been 4 for the US.

There were two or three solid scoring opportunities for the US around the 40th minute, including a strike that was whistled dead inside the Slovenian box. The ref (erroneously) called a handball on Finley, stopping a dangerous strike and knocking Finley out of the Algeria game next week.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Algeria holds England to a 0-0 tie!

So after two group games, Slovenia leads with 4 pts, US and England are tied with 2 and Algeria has 1.

Ways for the US to advance:
1) US beats Algeria
2) US draws Algeria and Slovenia beats England
3) US draws Algeria and England draws Slovenia and US wins on goal scored differential (or if goal scored differential is equal, wins the straw draw)

Despite England's struggles with Algeria, I feel pretty good about the US's chances.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, England just played like crap today.

Of the 21 people in our office pool, I think there have been 5 right calls across the three games today. At least everyone is down together.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

Deadspin has a pretty good write up of how the US can advance and what the different tie break rules are for the group round.

Warning though, Deadspin can be more that a little salty, I don't think there's anything inappropriate in the blog post itself, but there probably is in the comments.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

I just want to finish in whichever part of the group that doesn't have to play Germany. Even with what Serbia did to them.

but most importantly, we simply need to bear Algeria. the rest will work itself out.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

The other question is whether the US can take first in the group. To do so they would necessarily need to beat Algeria. Then there are two possible paths to taking first in group:

Path 1 (England beats Slovenia): In this path England and US tie in points, and since they both drew their first two matches, the first tiebreaker would be who won their final game by the biggest differential. If they win by the same differential, then it would go to goals scored. Currently the US has 3 and England has 1, so this favors the US. But if the two games end up, say 1-0 and 3-2, this would be tied as well. The remaining tiebreakers are all tied so it would devolve to a random draw.

Path 2 (England draws Slovenia): In this case the US would tie Slovenia for first on points. The first tiebreaker would be goal differential. Slovenia would be +1, so if the US wins by more than a goal over Algeria then they win the group. If not, the second tiebreaker is goals scored, which is currently tied 3-3. If that remains tied (say US wins 2-1 and Slovenia draws 2-2), then the other three tiebreakers are tied as well and we'd go to a random draw to decide the winner of the group.

<edit>Although, with the current state of Group D it's not clear whether the US should want to win their group. If Ghana ends up winning Group D and Germany or Serbia comes in second, the US may very well be better off not winning the group and facing Ghana (who has a slightly lower FIFA ranking and SPI) in the round of 16.</edit>

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

That second yellow card for Kaka was really lame. I don't like ref's handing out yellow cards when they didn't even see what happened. Why can't the ref consult with a lineman or somebody who saw what happened before ruling? Or is there just not enough time for that? Being able to consult a replay when it comes to handing out a second yellow i.e a red seems to be the least that could be done.
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

It was a poor call, during, what I would say was a tough game to call. A combination of Ivory Coast making physical tackles, and Brazilian players diving here and there.

A slightly extended arm while not in motion just isn't a yellow card. However, I don't see it hurting Brazil all of that much. Robinho can slot into that playmaker role, and Nilmar can start on the left wing. They may even play better.

I'd be more worried about Elano. I don't know how bad his injury was, but Alves is not the precision finisher he is, even if he's faster and plays for a more glamorous club.

I'm enjoying this cup way too much! [Big Grin]

Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Portugal is using north Korea to trim the field, shine their shoes and then wax their legs...
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I only really care about soccer when Ireland is playing so as long as France goes down hard, I am happy.

You're wish is granted.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Anyone care to predict the outcome of the two Group C matches today?

My guesses:
USA beats Algeria 2-1
England beats Slovenia 1-0

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I only really care about soccer when Ireland is playing so as long as France goes down hard, I am happy.

You're wish is granted.
Buffet's BRK too apparently too to the tune of 30 million.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Gah, both the US and Algeria have had fantastic opportunities. I don't expect this game to end scoreless. Those Algerians have some pretty deadly jump jets.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

And Landon comes through for us!
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful! What a dramatic finish.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
GOOOOOAAAAAALLLLL!
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

My word that was tense. Thank goodness for Landon Donovan.

Now, will we face Germany, Serbia or Ghana in the next round...answer later this afternoon.

LargeTuna
Member # 10512

I have no words
Miro
Member # 1178

That was insane. A great way to start the morning, though. I'm more jazzed right now than if I'd have drunk five cups of coffee.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
What a game! I am at work so I don't have access to a television, but as soon as Donovan scored I heard 4 people scream "YES!"

Turns out I'm not the only one secretly following the play by play on fifa.com here at work [Smile]

I can't wait to get home so I can see the goal. I've DVR'd every game so far.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
What a nailbiter! So glad we're through, despite having another good goal ruled out earlier in the game. Let's hope the refs don't continue that tradition for a third game - we can't afford that against whoever ends up second in Group D.

Geraine, most everyone in our office is secretly watching a stream live on ESPN3. After the goal was scored there was a huge shout 'round the office.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Hehe. I was at work, too. As soon as everything that had to get done immediately was taken care of this morning, about half of us plopped down in front of the TV to watch. My command's pretty understanding about that kind of thing.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My girls were watching it, I was outside on the phone talking to a friend (and getting bad news, a job I was interviewing for was awarded to someone else!). I heard my girls scream then they came running out to tell me the US scored a goal. [Smile] Great fun. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I think it's awesome we're all talking about what we were doing and where we were when "The Goal" was scored. I was in my dorm room trying to study and watch the game, (guess which one I completely neglected) when Donovan scored I went nuts, I actually sound like some sort of crazy man for about 4 seconds.

Seriously lame though about that goal not being counted. Of course it could have been a VERY different game if it had counted.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the Germany/Ghana game last night on the wide screen with a huge group of students. It was a very tense but ultimately jubilant night.

I must say I like this schedule where the finals for each group are being played simultaneously. It forces all the teams play more aggressively.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Italy lost to Slovakia so their out. This may be the first time the reigning World Champion hasn't advanced to the octa-finals.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Not just the champs, but the other finalists as well.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

Nah, in 2002 France was the defending champion and they were eliminated in the group round without even scoring a goal.

At least Italy scored a few goals. And of course France's team this year was even more disastrous with all their off the field dramatics.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
This World Cup is like World War II. France leave early, USA turn up at the last minute, and England are left fighting Germans.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
> This World Cup is like World War II. France leave
> early, USA turn up at the last minute, and
> England are left fighting Germans.

LOL.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo_Sauron:
This World Cup is like World War II. France leave early, USA turn up at the last minute, and England are left fighting Germans.

Ha! It's true.

Brazil and Portugal played a very aggressive and hard game. I was pretty impressed. Portugal seems to rise to the occasion, and deflate when it's easy. I must say Ronaldo though has been disappointing me.

The Germans and English have been playing strangely lately, I wonder how the teams will play when they butt heads.

I'll be watching the US/Ghana game with alot of interest. I believe the US can most certainly take this game, but those Ghana guys have alot of endurance, the US better keep some juice in storage for the final 15 minutes.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The world reacts to Donovan's goal. Pretty neat. I love seeing people excited about soccer in the US. I live in the middle of American football country, so I usually hear nothing but disparaging remarks about soccer.

As a "soccer mom" (my daughter plays) I want to see the sport gain more following.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the U.S. is done.... Time to do what that lady in cubicle 34 does and cheer for the team with the best uniforms...
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
US is out huh? Well we can go back to sour-grapesing soccer
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Pride and hope, pride and hope.

we've got plenty of youngsters I'll be happy to follow these next four years, regardless of final outcome.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Welp, now I'm shifting my interest to The Netherlands.
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Uruguay or Ghana will go to the semi. I didn't think I'd live enough to see that.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

US V Ghana was on at 2:30 am (my time) so I didn't watch the initial game. I decided to turn on the TV to see if the replay was on or perhaps catch highlights. Instead I got replays of Korea V Uruguay which I had already watched last night for 10 minutes, then suddenly 5 second graphic showing that Uruguay would be playing Ghana on July 2nd or something.

It was a very frustrating way to find out the US had lost.

Miro
Member # 1178

That was painful. Ghana ran circles around us in the first half, but we were a whole different team in the second half. So many chances.

I got pretty frustrated with Ghana's endless faking and time wasters in overtime.

I really want a poster of Tim Howard going for the header against Ghana's keeper. That was awesome.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo_Sauron:

[ROFL] [Wave]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You can;t win on the world stage by allowing a goal within the first 5 min of play. ::::shakes head:::
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Just a couple hours to the start of the Germany/England match. I'll be routing for the Germans (I will be watching from Germany after all). I'm hoping for a Germany/Netherlands stand off in the finals, but Germany will have a hard time getting past Argentina (presuming they survive today).

Actually, If I weren't in Germany, my heart would be with Argentina all they way. They've been playing the best most exciting football in the tournament.

Brazil's performance has been very lack luster. The second half of the Brazil/Portugal game was a really yawner. It looked more like a practice than a World Cup match. Chile was looking strong until that last match with Spain where their defense completed imploded.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I hope the Germans bring their A game today, but I also hope the English do as well. I can't really say I'm rooting for either team, I want to watch a fantastic match tonight.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.