FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » World Cup 2010 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: World Cup 2010
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm supporting Spain and England this year. I don't think England have much chance against Germany, but it will be interesting to see.

Spain v Portugal is on Tuesday. It's ridiculous how national rivals have all ended up playing each other so early this year. I suppose we should all just be glad that France has gone home already.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
England just got mugged.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
England got very mugged. I don't know why they can't just review those decisions during half time and change the results.

That was extremely poor linesman work. I can see the ref having trouble calling that the shot was taken from pretty far back, but that's just ridiculous the linesman couldn't tell. All they do is watch for that, off-sides, and which side touched it last before going out.

If England gets knocked out at least they can grieve with us.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ignoring Germany's brilliantly methodical offense, their defense has been extremely solid. England feels like a team full of mid-fielders.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

What a washout. 4-1! Horrible. (4-2 would have been nearly as horrible).

Come on Spain!

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Deutschland!!!! Deutschland
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
England got very mugged. I don't know why they can't just review those decisions during half time and change the results.

That was extremely poor linesman work. I can see the ref having trouble calling that the shot was taken from pretty far back, but that's just ridiculous the linesman couldn't tell. All they do is watch for that, off-sides, and which side touched it last before going out.

The problem is, you use logic. FIFA don't. I kind of hope there will be some more incorrect decisions, probably some clearly costing the match for a team, then the national federations might all gang up on FIFA to start using video replays...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
People are partying in the streets in Germany. Some of the major roads here in Muenster are completely blocked by revelers.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

And a one: goal Argentina from a clear offside. The referees don't really know what to do, as they have only seen the offside from the replays, but aren't allowed to use that information. Finally the goal stands, but this will certainly put fuel on the fire...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisethMA
Member # 12162

- posted      Profile for LisethMA   Email LisethMA         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that's where Mexico lost all their fire. They got so angry and upset over the very horribly called goal that they couldn't get it together again. Then Aguirre the coach of Mexico is an idiot, how could he even think that starting with Buffo(Bautista)would be okay? And why didn't he put Ochoa as goalkeeper? But the worst he saved for last when he took out Guardado and put in Franco. Even when ALL of Mexico told him that Franco should NOT play.
The only highlight of the day, watching my dad dance around with my daughter when Chicharito (Hernandez) put in the goal for Mexico.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
And a one: goal Argentina from a clear offside. The referees don't really know what to do, as they have only seen the offside from the replays, but aren't allowed to use that information. Finally the goal stands, but this will certainly put fuel on the fire...

Argentina getting goals it does not deserve? Color me shocked!

Rabbit: I bet, the Germans played a deadly game against England.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Nice goal my flying Dutchmen!

Oh geez I broke 10,000 and didn't even realize it.

Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that first goal was definitely a nice one. Too bad that we had to wait until the 84th minute for the second goal.

On to the quarterfinals, but the team will have to improve if they want to have a chance of beating the next opponent.

[ June 29, 2010, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Y ]

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Whatever happened to the Chilean defense. The team looked so good in its first two matches, but their defense just disappeared against Spain and Brazil. It wasn't even a case of the defenders being out played by a better team. The defenders just weren't there when they should have been.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I missed that game.

Mr. Y: Getting any goals in a game is a blessing to me. I hate those drawn out 0-0 draws. I completely agree though, The Netherlands game was not as tight as previous ones, and they will have to step that up in the next round.

I think it's going to come down to Argentina, Brazil, Uraguay, and Portugal. If I could have my way I'd put Germany and Brazil in the final.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Wait, you rate Portugal above Spain? I know Spain haven't exactly played stellar football so far, but I still think they'll win against Portugal.

I see Argentina vs Germany as very hard to call with the winner going to the final, and Brazil walking through to the final if Spain don't improve.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Corwin: generally I'd give Spain more love, but I just haven't seen them bring it. Portugal didn't really knock my socks off, at least not until they played Brazil, then I felt like I saw their team really connect. Ronaldo still kinda disappointed me, but overall I was impressed with their tactics.

Yeah I only gave the edge to Argentina over Germany because Argentina has done nothing but play well, whereas Germany had that one game where they were beaten by Serbia. They were relentless when playing England, but I don't think Argentina is going to give them virtually any gaps. Either way, it's a match I won't be missing.

While Japan has surprised me a bit, I'd still rather be watching Spain and Portugal go at it tonight instead of Japan and Paraguay.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Go Spain! Yay!

The city just went nuts. Someone is letting off fireworks.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Portugal just wasn't up to the occasion. I was hoping for a more open game, I'm just glad it's Spain who got through.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really impressed with Uruguay today.

And, once again, it was an official's decision that turned the game. The linesmen got several calls wrong today.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Well, I think the final score aptly displays the flow of the match. Possession, shots on goal, fouls and corners were almost equal on both sides.

It may be that the linesmen didn't get all their calls right, but I don't think there were any flagrant oversights on their part. Most of the offside situations were about a few inches...

Anyway, the general consensus over here seems to be that The Netherlands should have pushed on after scoring their third goal. They could have made two more, but instead they lapsed and let Uruguay come close in the final minutes.

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I only got to watch the replay up to the Netherlands third goal, so from my perspective both teams played very well. The Netherlands first goal though was something else, I thought Uruguay had the best goal of the cup against Korea (I think that was the game) but this shot was exquisite to watch.

I hate the fact the rest of the games are being played 2:30am my time, I can't catch any of them. If I hadn't been sick yesterday and taken the day off I might have done so instead for the World Cup final. But that's how it goes I suppose.

We may actually get a Netherland/Germany final, that would be...kinda strange actually, both sides like the counter attack.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

So anxious about tonight. It's going to be so depressing if (when) Spain lose.
Corwin
Member # 5705

When. [Wink]
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Viva la furia roja!

I was hoping that Spain would win, but I totally did not expect them to get past Germany. And now, without Germany, I have to totally re-evaluate who I think is going to win the final.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Germany looked flat-footed that whole match. Spain really effectively closed down the center. Even the German assault at the end of the match looked pretty half-hearted and out of sync. Not sure if that was due to quality defending by the Spanish or just lack of will from the Germans.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
Germany's loss was disappointing. I suppose I'll support the Netherlands in the final, but I thought Germany was going to win the Cup this year.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
Germany looked flat-footed that whole match. Spain really effectively closed down the center. Even the German assault at the end of the match looked pretty half-hearted and out of sync. Not sure if that was due to quality defending by the Spanish or just lack of will from the Germans.

My thoughts exactly. I missed the better part of the first half, but it never really seemed like they found any kind of rhythm.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Yeah, Spain did a much better job of adapting their strategy. It felt like Germany just expected their strategy up until now to win yet again.

Still there was that one shot counter attack strike by Krose that was absolutely perfect except it went exactly where the keeper was heading. If he had put it even just a few inches left or up it would have gone in.

I was sad Germany lost, but Netherlands V Spain will be a good game! And now I know exactly who I am rooting for. The Flying Dutchmen!

[ July 07, 2010, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
If Holland wins, I win the office pool out of the thirty some people participating! While the cash ($80 for first place) will be nice, I'm mostly excited about the bragging rights - I'm the only girl in the pool, and one of the few Americans.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

¡Adiós Alemania! ¡Vamos España!

I don't think anyone can quite believe that Spain won. People were dancing in the fountains. No-one is awake today. Sunday is going to be so crazy, however it turns out.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Wow, that was a stinker of a game. I was rooting for the Dutch before the start, but they were so brutal that I'm glad that the Spanish won.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'm so mad, I tried to go to bed early so I could wake up at 2:30am and watch but I didn't manage to fall asleep until midnight (room mate had the light on and was on the phone.) so when I woke up mid game it was exactly half time and I was just so tired I went back to sleep. I missed the whole thing. But at the same time it sounds like I wouldn't have enjoyed it. 14 yellow cards and a red?! The only goal happened in stoppage time? That's just barely better than it all going down to penalties for me.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a brawl. One of the most agressive games I've ever seen.

Almost every player was yellow carded at the end, and that's not counting a few that the ref didn't see. One Spanish player hip checked a Dutchman flat on his face and it went uncalled.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Wow, that was a stinker of a game. I was rooting for the Dutch before the start, but they were so brutal that I'm glad that the Spanish won.

Ich auch!!

I got home from a bike tour through Belgium and the Netherlands right as the game was starting and after several days in the low countries I was completely behind the dutch -- right up until De Jong kicked Alonso in the chest.

That was one of the nastier games I've ever watched.

Mr. Y
Member # 11590

During the match the Dutch commentators kept saying that both teams appeared apprehensive of each other. This could be the reason for the fact that nothing much of interest happened in the first 90 minutes. In the second half of the game the play was slightly more interesting with a few good chances on for both teams.

With regard to the many fouls perpetrated, I can only say that in the first half of the match both teams made some pretty nasty tackles.
People are now saying that the Dutch team wasn't used to playing at high altitudes and this made it impossible for them to get their game flowing (in as much as it had been fluent throughout the tournament - which was very different from the way they played in previous tournaments). Desperate to keep the Spanish side from scoring they were perhaps a bit overzealous in their defending.

I have to agree with the sentiment that the better team won the match. I do not begrudge Spain their victory and at least this way it was easier to digest than losing by means of penalty kicks (for which the Dutch team has a very bad record).

Fortunately for me, I don't get emotionally invested in these things and it didn't really matter to me which side would end up the winner.

Congratulations to Spain!

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Really brutal on both sides. Not quite the beautiful game.

But I'm so glad that Spain won!
This country needed some good news lately, and a lady in her late sixties told me last night that she's never seen all of Spain so united and patriotic about one thing.

So many flags, so much singing, so much happiness. It's a real boost to the national self-esteem. ¡Campeones del mundo!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Really brutal on both sides. Not quite the beautiful game.

But I'm so glad that Spain won!
This country needed some good news lately, and a lady in her late sixties told me last night that she's never seen all of Spain so united and patriotic about one thing.

So many flags, so much singing, so much happiness. It's a real boost to the national self-esteem.

Yes, but if Holland had won they might have been so darn happy they would have approved loans necessary to save Spain's economy! [Wink]

[ July 12, 2010, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Nah, for that Spain should have let Germany win.
Corwin
Member # 5705

I was in Germany for the 3rd place game and people both on the streets and on TV seemed surprisingly happy for winning 3rd place, saying it was a great accomplishment for such a young team. So they might still approve the loans. [Wink]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

They might. Germany's Ozil is my favorite player of the World Cup now.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Ozil was amazing this World Cup. I am also really happy Mueller won the golden boot. For a kid his age to score five goals and win the Golden Boot as well as the "Best Young Player" award in his very first world cup is saying something.

I'm confident that he was will be purchased by a top seeded team soon for a huge amount of money.

There was some brilliant soccer this year, and some not so brilliant officiating. Overall I am happy with the results, though I still wish my Brazilian team had gone all the way... Its a shame that one player crushed the dreams of an entire country. Felipe Melo is not going to have a career for very long.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite player is Paul.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
They might. Germany's Ozil is my favorite player of the World Cup now.

That man is so, so fast. It is just ridiculous.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Paul! He's a big star at the moment in Spain.

The Spanish team had a (home-made) picture of him on the front of their parade bus, and there are popular songs and chants about him including 'The Octopus knew it' and 'Thanks to the Octopus, we are the champions'.

There's also quite a big market in plush octopus toys for the kids.

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Jose Andres, one of the DC area's best known chefs, took octupus off the menu indefinitely at all of his restaurants after Spain beat Germany.

It'll be interesting to see how long octopus stays off the menu now.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.