FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » vuvuzelas

Author Topic: vuvuzelas
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
FZZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFFBBBBFFFFFFFFFFFFFFBBVVVVFFZZZZZZZZFZFFFFFFFFFFFFTFBBBBBBBBFFF
FZZZZZFFFFBBBBFBNBBBBBBBFFFFFBFBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZTZZZZZFFFFFFFFTBBBBBBBBBBFZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFFFFZBFFFFFFFFFFFBBBBBBBBFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFFFFZBBFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZ
ZZZZFZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFFFFFFFFFFBBBBBBFFFFFFFFFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFBFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFFFFFFFFFFFZZZZZZZZZ
FFFFFFFFFTBBBBBBBBBFFFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZFFFFFFFFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZFZFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZBFBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZFFFFFFFFBZZZZZZZZZZTZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFBBBBBBZZZZZZZZFZZFBZZZZZZZZZFBZZZZZZZZ

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://i.imgur.com/m9rLj.gif
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually willing to accept the argument that these things are an integral part of the South African football experience.

I'd also support the decision to never allow them to host the World Cup again. Or any other soccer-related event. The IOC should probably take note too.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://vuvuzela.ytmnd.com/
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
http://picchore.com/sports/the-most-ignored-sign-in-sports-history/
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that Spain was upset by Switzerland.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Black Fox:
I love that Spain was upset by Switzerland.

yeah i loved watching thaFFRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZVVVVVVVFFFFFFVFFFFFF
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I lived next door to a boy who owned a vuvuzela. They are indeed incredibly loud but also a lot of fun to blow. It was awesome for getting the attention of every child in the neighborhood for Important Things. [Wink]

At the time I didn't understand why adults got annoyed about the sound so quickly (compared to other little kid noisy things) but I can definitely see why nowadays.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone catch the reporter on ESPN saying "I have 5 children at home, so I find the vuvuzelas quite relaxing."
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
First time I saw a game at home, my wife thought there was something wrong with the TV.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* Same here, Nighthawk. We get all our TV off the computer in the living room, and my wife was convinced there was either something wrong with our signal or the speakers. "No, no," I insisted. "They have these annoying horn things, and they keep blowing them."

She didn't believe me. It actually offended her sense of rightness that a) large numbers of people would voluntarily and even eagerly make such an annoying noise; and b) that broadcasters wouldn't simply strip the noise out before broadcasting (isolating the relevant frequencies and muffling them), or at least turn the crowd noise down below the level of the color commentator's audio.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I do like to hear *some* crowd noise, but those horns are absurd.

I couldn't concentrate during the Spain match, and that's why they lost. [Frown]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we ban Air horns too?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont mind the noise, and I understand that they're an integral part of South African football. They're hosting this tournament, and you cant go into their stadiums and tell them how to be fans. Thats just wrong.

However, I do extrememly dislike them. Because well, it ruins some of the fun atmosphere and crowd noise. We don't here the singing, the change in tempo, the awe of the crowd. That quiet right before a shot, and that unbelievable rush of emotions and sound after it went in, or is stopped, is amazing. And we're missing it.

Also, when a stadium collectively gasps, or awws, it's cool.

But it's absolutely the right thing to embrace them and go with it, because bannind them would just be wrong.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, banning them would offend the South Africans. But it is okay to offend the South Africans, because their stupid soccer tradition is stupid.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't affect my wonderful German Team. You know why... Its because we have telepathy!
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I do like to hear *some* crowd noise, but those horns are absurd.

I couldn't concentrate during the Spain match, and that's why they lost. [Frown]

You play for Spain? Wow!
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally i love the sound it makes. I am glad they aren't going to ban them. That buzzing "swarm" sound gives the game a more intense and foreboding feeling to it. It really made the last few minutes of the Spain/Swiss match more intense.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
http://i.imgur.com/WXNmF.jpg
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
http://i.imgur.com/WXNmF.jpg

[ROFL]

Literally, I can barely breath. So hilarious.

For those uninitiated vuvuzela players, here are some great pointers from a pro.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I heard about these horns and heard what they sound like in a soccer game, I have decided that I'm not missing anything by not watching the world cup games. Let the South Africans blow their horns...I'm not going out of my way to watch a soccer game with annoying sounds in it.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
The Onion on Vuvzelas
http://mobile.theonion.com/articles/south-african-vuvuzela-philharmonic-angered-by-soc,17625/?mobile=true

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid72484359001?bctid=97156329001
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
The Onion on Vuvzelas
http://mobile.theonion.com/articles/south-african-vuvuzela-philharmonic-angered-by-soc,17625/?mobile=true

That was funny.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
http://xkcd.com/757/
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.