FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama Gives Back Major Strip of AZ to Mexico (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Obama Gives Back Major Strip of AZ to Mexico
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
If you put it to a vote here, people would absolutely prefer the 'redundant' process of using a new quote tag, not just because it does not put text a person did not say into a text region understood to be 'the text that this person posted'

Go ahead!

Get people to weigh in about what they think!

Hey guys what do y'all think about capaxinfiniti's quote response style.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Call me old-fashioned, but I like to see quote tags used for, you know, quotes.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
... I honestly don't know the answer to the following question, if anyone else does, enlighten me. What other nations grant citizenship to people just for being born there?

quote:
States that observe jus soli include:

* Antigua and Barbuda[3]
* Argentina[3]
* Barbados[3]
* Belize[3]
* Bolivia[3]
* Brazil[3]
* Canada[3]
* Chile[4] (children of transient foreigners or of foreign diplomats on assignment in Chile only upon request)
* Colombia[3]
* Dominica[3]
* Dominican Republic[3]
* Ecuador[3]
* El Salvador[3]
* Fiji[5]
* Grenada[3]
* Guatemala[3]
* Guyana[3]
* Honduras[3]
* Jamaica[3]
* Lesotho[6]
* Malaysia[3]
* Mexico[3]
* Nicaragua[3]
* Pakistan[3]
* Panama[3]
* Paraguay[3]
* Peru[3]
* Saint Christopher and Nevis[3]
* Saint Lucia[3]
* Saint Vincent and the Grenadines[3]
* Trinidad and Tobago[3]
* United States[3]
* Uruguay[3]
* Venezuela[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

Thanks. How many first world nations are on that list?
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
Canada, Chile, United States are all advanced nations. Brazil is no slouch either. Funny how you preach about the Constitution not being a "living" document but you want to change it. Ironic too since Hispanic immigrants tend to be socially conservative.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Mal: I'll let George Washington answer your last,

"The Citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for giving to Mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy: a policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship. It is now no more that toleration is spoken of, as if it was by the indulgence of one class of people that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens in giving it on all occasions their effectual support." (emphasis mine)

So those who wish to come and avail themselves of the security of citizenship in this great country, let them come, Washington seems more than willing to stamp their papers.

[ June 26, 2010, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, Mal...how many 'first world' nations are on a list of nations that permit capital punishment, at-will private gun ownership, abortion, tax rates on the wealthy, etc. etc...

Yeah, that's about what I thought. This is another transparent BS statement of yours. You don't really care what other 'first world' nations are doing, because if you did, your politics would be a helluva lot different. Just to be clear, though, I'm not saying you should, I'm saying that your argument on this point as in many others is totally, fundamentally flawed.

Can we skip ahead now to the part where you behave as though this part of the discussion never happened, please?

quote:
So those who wish to come and avail themselves of the security of citizenship in this great country, let them come, Washington seems more than willing to stamp their papers.
Don't be silly, BlackBlade. What the Founding Fathers would have wanted doesn't matter in cases like this! It only matters when it leans towards a conservative agenda. I mean, duh!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh: Generally speaking when people quote the founding fathers I often have a reaction of, "OK so?" I care far more for the salience of their ideas rather than accepting their will as something akin to what God wants.

In this case, I think Washington is expressing a sentiment I couldn't agree with more. But if he'd said something like, "I think it best that this country be comprised of as homogeneous a populace as we can possibly employ efforts to accomplish." I'd respond with something like, "I admire the guy, but he's wrong."

Mal on the other hand I imagine has more respect for Washington's words than for most posters here.

edit: I think it completely sucks that none of our current politicians are worthy to shine many of our founding father's shoes. There's absolutely no good reason for our leaders today to not be as talented, hard working, and responsible as that.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:

Canada, Chile, and the US are OECD.

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
... This is another transparent BS statement of yours. You don't really care what other 'first world' nations are doing, because if you did, your politics would be a helluva lot different.

*swish*
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Heh, thanks Mucus. Though with malanthrop, the net is at about waist level, so swishes are much easier.

quote:
Rakeesh: Generally speaking when people quote the founding fathers I often have a reaction of, "OK so?" I care far more for the salience of their ideas rather than accepting their will as something akin to what God wants.
Likewise. If the Founding Fathers could make such gigantic mistakes as permitting slavery and not permitting women to vote - just to name two big ones - that throws them right out the window as an infallible resource in my opinion. We have to pick and choose. That's what they wanted. They gave us a mutable Constitution.

Plus, y'know, they're human beings.

That doesn't mean I don't respect them. Their vices were the vices of their time, after all, as they were men of their time. Ahead of their time in many respects.

quote:

edit: I think it completely sucks that none of our current politicians are worthy to shine many of our founding father's shoes. There's absolutely no good reason for our leaders today to not be as talented, hard working, and responsible as that.

I do too, but personally I believe many of the politicians back then were pretty venal and sleazy and self-serving too. The Founding Fathers were a pretty extraordinary bunch among their contemporaries, after all.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Rakeesh: Or for sure, which is why I said "many of." Were we to talk about politicians from the last 50 years, I struggle to think of one who holds a candle to some of the greats. But maybe I'm just thinking of big name politicians when there may be quite a few who worked very hard, but did not feel the need to toot their own horn.

[ June 26, 2010, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
The title of this thread was the original title of the article she linked. While it was definitely an example of bombastic and ill-thought lack of consideration, it wasn't a lie. She just copy/pasted a headline from a blog post and assumed it was true because it confirmed her biases.

This begs the question if a lie can exist on its own, or does it require the malicious intent of the one purveying it?

Yes, the traditional quote tag system is better.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Call me old-fashioned, but I like to see quote tags used for, you know, quotes.

Prescriptivist!

Also, I agree.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pegasus:
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
The title of this thread was the original title of the article she linked. While it was definitely an example of bombastic and ill-thought lack of consideration, it wasn't a lie. She just copy/pasted a headline from a blog post and assumed it was true because it confirmed her biases.

This begs the question if a lie can exist on its own, or does it require the malicious intent of the one purveying it?

I do believe that a lie does have to have malicious intent, or at least must be deliberately trying to mislead someone. In Lisa's case what she said was simply not true. She even had something that she considered "evidence" to go along with it. So i wouldn't think that the title falls under the lie category as much as being false.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's an important distinction between personal and intellectual integrity.

Someone telling a lie is saying something they know isn't true with the intent to deceive. This is usually a case of a problem with personal integrity.

Some saying something that is not true, but they don't know is not true often has not put in a reasonable effort to determine if something is true or not or is using unreliable sources. This is usually a case of a problem with intellectual integrity.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
or, more to the point, a commitment in whole or in part to address things one has said that are false after they are shown to be false, rather than just letting them stand without comment.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That sort of thing straddles the line between personal and intellectual integrity, I think, with the more strident and certain the initial statement was, the more certain it turns out not to have been true, and how important it was to the speaker pushing it further and further into a personal integrity issue.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Prescriptivist!

I don't think I've ever claimed not to be one. [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's no fun. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I didn't realize it was my job to provide you with entertainment. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.