FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Early Christian Literature References/Imagery?

Author Topic: Early Christian Literature References/Imagery?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I've been recently a little involved in comparisons between early Christian writings (esp. Bible translations and the New Test.) and early Rabbinic writings. And I came across an interesting Talmudic story (BT Shabbat, folio 116a-b), which is clearly a polemic with (2nd century?) Christian views, making several references. The story tells of Rabban Gamliel and his sister trying to prove that a certain 'Philosopha' serving as a judge is in fact a crook. So several things caught my eye there which could use some clarification:

(1) The statement that 'from the day that [Jews] were exiled from their land (i.e., 70 C.E.), your Holy Book was taken away and a new Holy Book was given'. I know that Christian interpretations existed at the time that the exile was a punishment for Deicide/not accepting Jesus. Any knowledge about references to the New Testament gaining validity only after the exile?

(2) Statements that men and women both inherit land. In Old Test. law women inherit only if there are no men (as accounted for in the story as well); is it written otherwise anywhere in the New Test.?

(3) Various mss. of the Talmudic passage disagree whether the correct statement is 'I have not come to remove one letter from the Torah, nor add to it', or 'but rather add to it' (ולא/אלא). This is a clear reference to Matt. 5:17-18: 'Think not that I have come to abolish the law (nómon) or the prophets. I came not to abolish but rather (allá) to fulfil... not one iota nor one point (keraía) shall be removed...' Does anyone know of possible versions where Jesus does in fact admit to add to the 'law'? Any chance that the different Talmudic versions are *not* a scribal error?

(4) Most importantly, there is a reference to a 'candle'(שרגא), a 'Libyan ass' (חמרא לובא) and eventually that the ass 'kicks down the candle'. Any such imagery in the New Test. or other early Christian writings?

Thanks in advance, for anyone who knows.
Jonathan

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to (1), parts of the New Testament weren't written until after 70 CE. It certainly wasn't compiled or canonized until later.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.