FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Old Spice: The Ad Blitz Your Man Could Smell Like (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Old Spice: The Ad Blitz Your Man Could Smell Like
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Old Spice: The Ad Blitz Your Man Could Smell Like

The Old Spice Man took to the web yesterday, posting over 125 video clips that addressed various celebrities and fans, many of them responding to direct questions. And all of them freakin' hilarious...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I was on Reddit at the time. Didn't get my question answered, though. So even though otherwise I would have given this ad campaign a ten out of ten, I have to downgrade it just slightly to negative a billion.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the youtube channel is the best way to see them all, and you can find it here.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, thanks for sharing. These videos are hysterical!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
These are even better than the ones with Bruce Campbell.

I never thought I'd say that.

The build-your-own phone message is just amazing.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went from lurker here, to poster here, to lurker on reddit and poster here, and now I'm generally a lurker here and a poster on reddit. Sam how do you do it?
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Well our servers are often down soooo
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
That is hilarious. If you go to Alyssa Milano's twitter, he actually DID send her flowers and a card. This has got to be one of the best ad campaigns ever. Especially since it is probably costing them a tiny fraction of what a TV spot would cost.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

him and conan need to join forces
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
The build-your-own phone message is just amazing.

SWAN DIVE!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
SWAN DIVE
MONOCLE SMILE!
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't quite get the monocle smile one. Otherwise this is hilarious.

I'm adding this man to the list of people who should be in The Expendables II, at least in cameo. (I have no interest in Expendables I, but I hope it does well enough to make an Expendables II that adds Vin Diesel, with Chuck Norris as the bad guy, and footage of Bruce Lee thrown in as a sort of Mufasa/Obi-wan role.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

His most recent vid to Alyssa Milano:

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldspice?v=uLTIowBF0kE&feature=pyv&ad=5066079497&kw=old%20spice%20commercial&gclid=CNqD_r2X66ICFY845wodJhX9fA#p/u/25/U5Y7MZV_bD0

And her video reply. This is just too funny.

http://www.alyssa.com/

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

That was a really awesome reply on alyssa's part. I'm curious to what extent this whole interchange is pre-scripted. (Hers isn't quite as funny, or at least is funny in a way that requires less effort, which lends credence to the notion that her end is not scripted. If that is the case, I'm really curious how this will turn out).
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
That was a really awesome reply on alyssa's part. I'm curious to what extent this whole interchange is pre-scripted. (Hers isn't quite as funny, or at least is funny in a way that requires less effort, which lends credence to the notion that her end is not scripted. If that is the case, I'm really curious how this will turn out).

According to her Twitter, none of this was planned or scripted. It took her by surprise. He has also been flirting with Rose McGowan and Christina Applegate but Alyssa is the one that's continued to play along.
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to a reddit user you know have the Old Spice Man voice male generator.

[URL=http://www.oldspicemanvoicemail.com]Sheer Awesomeness]

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually seriously impressed by Milano's response. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
On another note... Old Spice Man answers a question by the daughter of the actor who plays Old Spice Man.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

I am curious to see what Old Spice opts to do with that opening.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Honestly, given that they started by paying millions of dollars for a superbowl spot... a hundred thousand isn't that bad. Especially considering that this ad blitz was (presumably) insanely cheap. Plus they get the good will and what not.
rivka
Member # 4859

Exactly!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

I wonder what Meg Ryan's response would have been... Pouty face?
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Has Old Spice responded to Milano's challenge yet? Choosing to go for it means good press all around, not to mention it's a tax write-off. It's a relatively cheap way to both appear to be a good Samaritan, and to advertise.

These are hilarious by the way. I wonder who did the writing for the answers.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Looks like they're done, at least for now.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Also of possible interest, if you have twenty minutes to spare: interview with the writers of the Super Bowl commercial, in which they explain how the director got Old Spice Man from a shower to a boat to a horse in one take. (On the third day of shooting.)

Edited to add: and an explanation of the followup commercial, with the power saw, swan dive, and hot tub. (They don't explain the jeans, though.)

[ July 15, 2010, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

...I missed this one earlier. I think he just shattered the fifth wall or something.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

For those of us who want to know... they're cagey on the exact details, but there's a bit about the process of making these at Adweek and rather more at Fast Company.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Most of the spots were done with little to no oversight by the old spice Men Upstairs. I suspect donating $100,000 is the sort of thing that DOES require their approval a little bit (a lot). If they do do an official reply, it probably will have to go through the red tape, and it'd take a while. (Possibly too long for the momentum from today to still be useful).

Also curious... I think the single most watched clips so far have like 250,000 hits. Prime Time television shows with decent ratings get... like, 10 million viewers right? While it can certainly continue to rank up hits, I'm wondering what the overall cost effectiveness will turn out to be.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Most of the spots were done with little to no oversight by the old spice Men Upstairs. I suspect donating $100,000 is the sort of thing that DOES require their approval a little bit (a lot). If they do do an official reply, it probably will have to go through the red tape, and it'd take a while. (Possibly too long for the momentum from today to still be useful).

I'd agree with this. Old Spice Man may be speaking for Old Spice, but he doesn't have that kind of power... and multinational corporations aren't known for their ability to do anything at whim.

(Plus the Men Upstairs probably went along with this campaign partly because it was relatively cheap; it seems clear that this was planned to end last night; and Alyssa's reply came near the end of the run, not to mention the end of the business day.)

Edited to add:

quote:
Also curious... I think the single most watched clips so far have like 250,000 hits. Prime Time television shows with decent ratings get... like, 10 million viewers right? While it can certainly continue to rank up hits, I'm wondering what the overall cost effectiveness will turn out to be.

On the other hand... the campaign's also getting plenty of free media coverage, more so than your typical commercial, and I doubt we're done with that.

[ July 15, 2010, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
With so many clips of the same guy, saying various things, it would be interesting to see which ones are the most watched. You could possibly then theorize why. There should be some marketing implications.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'm predicting a youtube trend of splicing together Old Spice Guy footage to make him say various things.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm predicting a youtube trend of splicing together Old Spice Guy footage to make him say various things.

Also some sort of imitation spoof involving a different ethnicity, and possibly though less likely, gender.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

Also some sort of imitation spoof involving a different ethnicity, and possibly though less likely, gender.
And through such tiny bites and cuts is a meme beaten to death.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Response. Excellent.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

New York Times: Get Clean. Smell Good. It’s Not Unmanly. (Does get at least one detail wrong: there were more than 180 videos, not 65.)
rivka
Member # 4859

One wonders if that's due to press-time constraints.

At least, this one does. [Wink]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
One wonders if that's due to press-time constraints.

Considering that, by my count, 118 of them were uploaded the first day, and that the article refers to the actor's appearance on Good Morning America this morning, this one thinks not. [Smile]

(Edited to note that the above count includes videos dated the 12th and 13th; the former kickstarted the campaign by responding to questions or comments not specifically addressed to Old Spice Guy. I think they weren't made public till the 13th, but I may be wrong on that point.)

[ July 15, 2010, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
...I missed this one earlier. I think he just shattered the fifth wall or something.

[ROFL]

And your point about dates is a good one.

Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
New York Times: Get Clean. Smell Good. It’s Not Unmanly. (Does get at least one detail wrong: there were more than 180 videos, not 65.)

They added a correction to the end of the article:

"Correction: July 15, 2010

An earlier version of this article incorrectly gave the number of videos uploaded to YouTube by the brand as about 65, rather than about 185."

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Old Spice answers question from George Stephanopoulos

"Presidential Ab Point!!!"

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqoc6wTNotI&feature=channel
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just spent way too much time watching those!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I could spend all day listening to those. They are so much fun
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Twitter update from Old Spice Guy: @Alyssa_Milano Apologies for dlay. I'm saving village by damming flash flood w/left pec while typing u this msg w/right pec. My ppl 2call.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

And a remarkably well-done homage by the Brigham Young University library.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
I'm saving village by damming flash flood w/left pec while typing u this msg w/right pec.
[ROFL]

quote:
That was brilliant.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
That was brilliant.
Indeed!
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch the super bowl, so I missed out on the commercial when it originally aired. Hilarious! And so much fun trying to figure out how they did various things.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Silver Fish Hand Catch!
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

the fat boring guy who responds to old spice man has, like, moobs that go all the way around to his sides. lol.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.