FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job Hunt Support Thread. The Sequel. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Job Hunt Support Thread. The Sequel.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh! Consider that a prolonged scream of frutration.

Anybody else out there fighting this battle? It's so difficult to find work right now and I honestly have been fighting depression over it. I feel like a fool for ever saying I wanted a job in a different school - I would give a lot to have my old job back! I didn't leave by choice - my position was cut when the school lost federal Title I funding, but I did want to go to a new school. I never appreciated that job when I had it as much as I do now that I'm unemployed!

I've applied at over 30 positions, including some as far away as 75 miles. I've had exactly one interview and I lost that position to a 23 year old who was perky and cute. I can do a lot of things, but compete with perky, young, and cute I cannot. [Frown]

So, anybody else out there fighting the job market blues? What do you do to keep the depression at bay? I've been trying to play outside with my kids at least once a day and eat well but I've been pretty despondent lately. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Perky, young and cute is a school position prerequisite?

I'm employed, but feeling very burned out - I'm looking for a change, but the job market is... nil. Glad I have a job, but I really feel forced into keeping it without any other options.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure that the place I tutor at is closing, which sucks. Looking into other jobs it is like there is nothing out there. Plus third trimester pregnant is not a good time to be looking in general. So, I haven't done much to replace the job I am losing. On the plus side, it looks like NASA is not in as bad shape as initially, so hubby might keep job. Right now, he is applying for some transfers within the company but not NASA dependent- hoping that the decent news with NASA will keep him employed long enough to transfer.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Godric, with some principals. [Wink] Thankfully not with the principal that hired me last year. Hopefully not with any principal that may interview me between now and the start of the year.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Godric:
I'm employed, but feeling very burned out - I'm looking for a change, but the job market is... nil. Glad I have a job, but I really feel forced into keeping it without any other options.

This right here.

Belle, job hunting is soul-sucking horror. I wish you the best of luck, and a principal who sees how lucky they are to have you!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cookie Crisp
Member # 12312

- posted      Profile for Cookie Crisp   Email Cookie Crisp         Edit/Delete Post 
Job hunting is not very fun these days. I'm graduating at the end of the summer with an Engineering degree with a Statistics option and haven't heard a thing from all of the Quality Control/Continuous Improvement jobs that I have applied for.
It's really quite discouraging. I wish you the best of luck Belle!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Job hunting is utter hell these days. I absolutely sympathize with anyone having to go through with it.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

This right here.
Me three. It's been a pretty rough year and a half. My depression's been acting up off and on. Now we're getting to the point in the restructure where they need us to do more with less. I'm already at the breaking point doing more with the same. I can't take it.

I'm also not sure how I can pay the bills if I don't. I'm ready to go fold towels full time or something, but there's not much out there, and Tallahassee has a lower than average unemployment. I think we're only at 8 or 9.

Personally, I'm trying St John's Wort tea. Some studies say it works for mild depression, some say serious. At this point I'm willing to try about anything.

Good luck to all of us. [Smile]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
quote:
quote:

This right here.
Me three. It's been a pretty rough year and a half. My depression's been acting up off and on. Now we're getting to the point in the restructure where they need us to do more with less. I'm already at the breaking point doing more with the same. I can't take it.

I'm also not sure how I can pay the bills if I don't. I'm ready to go fold towels full time or something, but there's not much out there, and Tallahassee has a lower than average unemployment. I think we're only at 8 or 9.

Personally, I'm trying St John's Wort tea. Some studies say it works for mild depression, some say serious. At this point I'm willing to try about anything.

Good luck to all of us. [Smile]

Do you have a degree? If so the Testing Center at FSU is hiring. Its not a great job with great pay but it is a job and they need to fill 4 positions or so come late august. I know its not what you dream about but it can hold you over.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the market, since we're moving to the Bay Area... which has 10% unemployment right now. The husband has a great new job lined up, with a good pay jump, but I have nothing right now, and leads are slim in my area (data analyst).
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still working for an agency, and have been getting a decent amount of work from them. But it is inconsistent. One week I needed Friday and Sunday off for family reasons, and I ended up with a total of 8 hours that week. I can't live on ANY job that EVER gives me 8 hours.

Also, my wife is still sitting at the same desk doing the same job, at the same phone....but her pharmacy received an injunction against making vet meds, so they leased their business to another pharm company, so she now works for them.

Sorta.

In order to avoid paying AK state taxes, she is contracted through Kelly Employment Services. They were told nothing will change, but we received a notice last month saying we had already lost all medical insurance, because Kelly doesn't offer it. COBRA is outrageous, so we can't afford that on what she makes, so now, despite promises to the contrary, we have no insurance.

I was hired as an LPN at 2 places full time, but the first took almost a full 8 weeks and never scheduled me, or finished my training, The second couldn't verify my past employment because all 3 placed I have worked at now use a employment verification service, and they are not willing to pay to verify my work history. I payed to verify one, and there were mistakes on their records, costing me 2 years of previous work history, and making it look like I lied on my application......losing me that job as well.

It's been a crappy experience so far, despite graduating in a fairly high demand field with honors.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

This right here.

Yep, you've pretty much described my situation to a T. I'm scared I'm going to completely burn out here if I can't make a change soon. But unemployment is over 14% here in Las Vegas.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Aug 5th is the day teacher's report. I need a full time job on that day in order to continue from last year. I really, really need two year sof uninterrupted teaching experience so I can certify in another area. I'm taking a certification test on Saturday to add the technology education field to my resume, but it requires a passing score on the test PLUS two years of uninterrupted teaching experience (not necessarily with the same district, just two full years).

*sigh* I'm really getting worried. There are no jobs posted in the last week except one and I've pulled out all the stops on it - had references call the principal on my behalf, emailed him, faxed my resume...but no reply yet.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, I once had a job through Kelly Employment Services. It was late summer-early fall of 2000. The temp position I was in got eliminated for financial reasons, the week before I would have been hired by the company they contracted with. Thus, my experience with being part of a layoff came early in my career...the start of my sophomore year of college.

I still hold a small grudge against telecom companies.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Okay, so THE job was posted today - if it can be trusted. They want an ESL teacher (I am working on my master's in ESL - English as a Second Language) BUT the requirements are for an English certificate, which I have. I happen to know that this school is one that is piloting sheltered content for ESL - where ESL students are placed in sheltered classes so they can receive specialized instruction. I want to teach sheltered content - it's why I went into my ESL training.

If they are indeed looking for a teacher to do sheltered English, they need an English certified person with ESL training - and that's me. [Smile] My only hesitation is that perhaps the posting is a mistake - perhaps they meant to say they wanted a highly qualified ESL teacher rather than a highly qualified English/Language Arts teacher. If so, then I am not qualified because I don't have the ESL certification yet.

Still, I sent off the resume and we'll cross fingers and hope.

rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Going through the job listings yesterday, I did see one that intrigued me. The Navy's looking for intelligence analysts. It looked like they're hoping for folks to enlist, but I figured I'd call them and ask if they've got anything like that for civilian contractors.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

So I heard more about THE job - it is my job. I want it very, very badly. I am qualified - they are looking for an English teacher.

I got recommended for it by my professor and got an email back that they would be interviewing soon. I am hoping that means I get an interview.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

Good luck, Belle!
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it, Belle. Good luck. [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
So I heard more about THE job - it is my job. I want it very, very badly. I am qualified - they are looking for an English teacher.

I got recommended for it by my professor and got an email back that they would be interviewing soon. I am hoping that means I get an interview.

Belle, this sounds VERY promising. Good luck!
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Hoping and praying for you Belle!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey AvidReader, I live in Tallahassee too! What's your dream job? I can keep an eye and ear open if you want.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

No word yet, but I'm still holding on and trying to be positive and convince myself they'll call me on Monday.

My professor did send a recommendation to the person in charge of ESL education for the system, so that makes me feel better. The job would be teaching English, but to ESL students. It's a classroom teaching job, with a special population. Exactly what I want....so I am nervously awaiting next week to get here where I will find out if I'm making it to the interview round or not.

In other news, there is only one other job on the board and my curriculum supervisor from last year recommended me for it. So, that is still a possibility too. Other than those two...well, let's just say I hope those two come through.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
What's your dream job?

Hee hee. Writing in the morning, taking a nice lunch break, and making jewelry for my online shop in the afternoons.

More practically, I'd like a desk job where my boss and coworkers won't be mean to me with just a bit less stress than I have now. Preferably paying $12 to $15 an hour, depending on bennies.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm job hunting in the UK from Canada for teaching work. Looks at the moment that I'm going to be doing supply work in a medium-sized town, which is going to be interesting travel-wise without a car. The idea is to get some long stretches of supply work when I'm there, or to complete someone's year.

It's insane what's happening in the job market at the moment. There's simply not enough work to go around.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
What's your dream job?

Hee hee. Writing in the morning, taking a nice lunch break, and making jewelry for my online shop in the afternoons.

More practically, I'd like a desk job where my boss and coworkers won't be mean to me with just a bit less stress than I have now. Preferably paying $12 to $15 an hour, depending on bennies.

Cool. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. :-)
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Teshi, what's "supply work"?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Substitute teaching.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Danke. That was my guess, but I wasn't sure. [Smile]

It's certainly a good way to break into teaching here, and I imagine it is there as well. But no car would make it more difficult, I imagine!

Belle
Member # 2314

Yeah, subbing is the way to break in for sure. Around here, you cannot even sub right now without a teaching certificate. I know of three systems that are not accepting any more applications because their sub list is full, and I know of at least six more that will only take you if you're a certified teacher.

The job that I am keeping my fingers crossed for called my professor for recommendations - saying that they had wanted to hire a couple of teachers that subbed for them, but those teachers had already taken other jobs. In other words, they look to hire the subs FIRST so if you're a teacher like me who taught full time last year, you actually have less chance to get hired that someone who was a sub.

It's really frustrating. I guess I will have to sub if I don't find anything but it is making me very sad to think that I will have to be content with scratching up work on a day by day basis for less than a third of what I made last year. [Frown]

Still, it would be better than nothing.

rivka
Member # 4859

Frustrating as it is, it does make sense that they'd prefer to hire people they already are familiar with. Regardless, if you are the best-fit available teacher, it won't matter WHO they originally preferred. Good luck!
Belle
Member # 2314

Delivered stuff in person today. Went to the location of the job I really want and now I want it even more! What a beautiful school - the facilities were so much nicer than what I worked with last year.

The principal was in a meeting so I couldn't talk to her but the secretary I did speak with assured me she would make sure she got the resume I left.

Also went to a board of ed and dropped off an application for a long term sub position - it would be for the entire 1st semester, so that's a good bit of work. Not as much as I made last year of course, but better than a "regular" sub job, and steady and guaranteed work for a semester.

rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, I hope they at least meet wiht you. I know from my hiring days that even if you don't get the job first time around, if you make a good impression with the first interview it can stick with a person.

I know a teacher who didn't get a position he wanted the first time around. He was a finalist, but got beat out. Half way though the year the teacher who DID get the job had to quit due to medical issues....and he was the first teacher they called to see if he still wanted it.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

So I have an interview tomorrow morning for a long-term sub position. It is a good position - in that it is for the entire first semester, so very steady work.

I really, really wish some of the other places for permanent jobs will call me before I get offered a long-term sub however. I can't afford to turn it down (obviously) but it would be very difficult to take a temporary job.

Still, it may turn into a permanent job, one never knows. And of course, I haven't been offered it yet, LOL. I may not even get it.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes, Belle. I hope you get THE job but if that doesn't work out, hope you find something that you can live with.

I didn't realize you were working on an ESL degree. It was something I looked in to as an undergrad but then never pursued it. I am looking around for different career paths right now and might have to do some research on it. Is there much application for it outside of a K-12 setting? I never got my teaching certificate.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Uprooted, there are a lot of folks pursuing the adult ESL option, but in my experience and from talking with them, jobs are few and most are part-time. Some few people can luck up and get a full time job teaching at a junior college, but not many. Most ESL jobs are K-12. But, you can get a teaching certificate in ESL without having a certificate already in another area. A good friend of mine is doing that, it's an alternative master's program.

If you're willing to overseas, there are tons of opportunities. My friend came back from a year teaching ESL in Seoul, Korea and loved the experience. Money wasn't bad either - she earned an equivalent to about $2000 a month, and the school she worked for provided her apartment so she had few expenses.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger, overseas was the appeal, that's what I wanted to do. Would still love it, but I'm nervous about leaving my elderly mom to fend for herself. Anyway, thanks for giving me something to think about.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Getting ready for my interview. Nothing from the permanent jobs today so far, and teachers report a week from today. I am resigned that the long term sub may be my best shot for any type of position.
rivka
Member # 4859

*crosses fingers*
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto rivka.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

It went well. He said I had a lot to offer, but he has two more people to interview. He'll let me know early next week.

The money is terrible. As long as the teacher I'm replacing has sick leave available, I will make what a normal sub makes. After that, I will make a daily rate according to my teaching certificate level.

The teacher I'll be replacing was there, and she was talking to other where I could easily overhear that she has sick leave up through the end of October, and she wants to talk the doctors into letting her come back early. So, I probably would not be able to work the whole semester and for most of it I would be making lousy pay.

I'm tempted to not take it and take my chances a full time gig will open up after school starts...but I'm scared that I won't get anything.

rivka
Member # 4859

Here's hoping that by the time he gets back to you, you can say, "Thanks, but I already got hired somewhere else."
Belle
Member # 2314

I don't think I will take it anyway. I called the board and found out what the daily rate for a sub is and it's almost $20 a day less than I expected. By the time I drove out there (it's more than 40 miles away) I wouldn't make hardly anything.

I think I would be better off trying to find sub jobs closer to home and leaving myself available to take any full-time jobs that open after school starts.

rivka
Member # 4859

Ouch. [Frown]

But yeah, that makes sense.

fseoer2010
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Job hunting is not very fun these days. I'm graduating at the end of the summer with an Engineering degree with a Statistics option and haven't heard a thing from all of the Quality Control/Continuous Improvement jobs that I have applied for.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I'm sorry fseoer2010 (that is really hard to type!). Welcome to Hatrack!

I applied for a job today that is at a local university, as a web content editor. I would be responsible for editing all content, updating the style manual and making sure the online presence of the university is appropriate.

It requires an English degree, and basic HTML knowledge which of course, I have. I'm no designer or developer, but I have basic knowledge. And there are developers on staff...I would only be concerned with the typed content.

It would be a good job, pay is about the same as what I am making now, though the hours would not be teaching hours. It would most likely be a lot less stressful though.

rivka
Member # 4859

Belle, I hope the job that works best for you and your family works out soon!
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks rivka!

I did a lot of thinking and working it through in my mind and discussing it with my husband, and if I am offered the long-term sub I will take it. It keeps me in the profession, gains me some much-needed experience teaching high school, and even if the money is lousy, it's still better than nothing.

What's hilarious is that it is only 10 dollars a week more than I would get collecting unemployment, and so I will actually be losing money when you consider the gas it will take to get me there! But, who knows? I may get a permanent job out of it and if I do a good job I might at least leave with a good recommendation that I don't have now.

I'm just going to focus on the experience I'm gaining and doing a really good job at this high school, and try not to think too much about the money aspect. And, since it is a temporary position, if a better one comes along I can always leave and take it.

That is of course, contingent upon them actually offering me the job. I feel confident they will, but you never know who showed up to interview after me. I'm supposed to know Monday.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.