FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone has been Hacking my Mac.

Author Topic: Someone has been Hacking my Mac.
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
It's gone on since the end of April.

Do we have any Macintosh experts on this subject?

I need help. Desperately.

Before I got hacked, I was making good money as a Free Lance Editor. With my Editing machine compromised, it makes it really, really hard to get work and finish at a proper time.

I love you, unamed helper.

Please help me lock out this coward.

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the odds of it being 'someone' rather than just malware is pretty low. Instead, go get some antivirus/antimalware software and do a full sweep.

As to what programs are the best for macs, I have no idea.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet is to back up all of your critical files and reload Windows.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Herblay, I don't know you very well, so I have to ask, was that intentionally or unintentionally hilarious?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
Purchase a cisco wireless router for $60 and plug your machine into it. The public address will be isolated from the private one. You will be able to configure security settings on a layer 2 and layer one level. Make sure file sharing is turned off on your machine.
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Malware remotely control my cursor?

Would Malware change the name of my root administrator?

Would Malware be connected to my computer even when I'd turned the internet function off?

Does this confirm a 2nd user or malware?

22:14 up 48 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.95 0.62 0.55
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT
NewThor console - 22:09 5 -
NewThor s000 - 22:14 - w

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*facepalm* Thor, the last time we had this conversation, three years ago, I told you to buy a real router. Now someone else has also recommended a router. Have you bought a real router yet?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

This has only been happening since April.
I'm moving in a week and will be buying a 'real' router then. It's annoying as all hell.

What type of worthless piece of crap low life would do this?

Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

Oh. And if this IS a single person hacker, I'd pay real money to find out who it is. Really I would.

There is nothing i'd like more than to have Batman show up at their house in the middle of the night with a little Karma in his gloves.

Yeah. Baby.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What type of worthless piece of crap low life would do this?
Almost certainly someone who has no idea who you are, and is just looking for unsecured computers to use for other purposes. You haven't foolishly done any banking or online shopping on this thing, knowing it's compromised?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

Nope. No shopping. Or banking.

But I disagree. They've been so persistent and so aggressive for 4 straight months, fighting me tooth and nail as i've spent 100 hours trying to learn to combat them, I must guess that it is personal.

They know me.

I've never done anything to anyone that would justify 1/10 of the grief that I've gotten from this total loser coward waste of space cry baby bitch.

Karma will take care of it one day.

I know that for sure, even if I never figure out who it is. But still, i'd like to find out who it is, and then ring their door bell.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The government is coming to get you!!

Back up all important files onto a portable hardrive or pendrive, format the computer, if possible replace the hard drive in case there's a rootkit reinstall Windows (some Macs do have windows fyi) install a proper firewall, either the full OneCare suit or ZoneAlarm, if you got money buy the Pro version, set it up properly THEN connect to the internet (download drives and firewall on a different computer).

Formatting insures any programs or backdoor applications the cracker installed on your Harddrive is gone for good, but its possible he may put a rootkit on it which means that even formatting wouldn't be enough.

Also get a router, I suggest a D-Link and enable the DMZ.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Why on earth would he want to enable the DMZ?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
They've been so persistent and so aggressive for 4 straight months, fighting me tooth and nail as i've spent 100 hours trying to learn to combat them...
You haven't spent 100 hours learning to combat them, or you would have bought a router 90 hours ago. Unless you're learning from idiots.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Danlo the Wild:
But I disagree. They've been so persistent and so aggressive for 4 straight months, fighting me tooth and nail as i've spent 100 hours trying to learn to combat them, I must guess that it is personal.

it's only personal insofar as you seem to be a ridiculously easy mark — that gets you a lot of attention.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. I will openly admit to not being a computer expert, but... how are you getting internet if you don't have a router?
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You know where the router plugs in? You can plug your computer in there instead. The router just allows multiple computers to connect to the network and, usually, offers a number of security features that isolate the computers from the network, making it more difficult for malicious people and software to do anything nasty.

[ August 29, 2010, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Wait... he's plugged directly into the modem?

It's been so many years since I had non-wireless I sort of forgot you could do that. But that still begs the question:

Why???

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Why?

One less piece of equipment to buy/maintain/troubleshoot in a 1 desktop set-up.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DSH:
One less piece of equipment to buy/maintain/troubleshoot in a 1 desktop sOH GOD MY MOUSE IS MOVING BY ITSELF

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, current operating systems are far too vulnerable to direct attack in default configurations. Anyone who doesn't have a router (and the automatic and remarkably sound protection it provides) is asking to get hacked.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would Malware be connected to my computer even when I'd turned the internet function off?
Yes!

If you disconnect your computer from the internet and you are still having the problem, then its caused by some sort of malware that is on your computer and definitively not by a hacker controlling your computer remotely.

If you unplug the ethernet cable and turnoff all wireless and bluetooth connections, the only way to access your computer is via the keyboard.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:

[ROFL]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:

[ROFL]
Because Justin Long cant be right all the time.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:

[ROFL]
Because Justin Long cant be right all the time.
Heresy. Justin Long is the greatest American public figure since Macaulay Culkin!

He was especially amazing in the tour-de-force Jeepers Creepers, but the Academy screwed him out of an Oscar. It's all about who you know with those people.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by DSH:
One less piece of equipment to buy/maintain/troubleshoot in a 1 desktop sOH GOD MY MOUSE IS MOVING BY ITSELF

[ROFL]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at Justin Long and then look at John Hodgins. Who do you think knows more about computers?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Look at Justin Long and then look at John Hodgins. Who do you think knows more about computers?

That's kind of the point of the Mac ads. You don't have to be a geek to use them.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.