FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Men and Superpowers

Author Topic: Men and Superpowers
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Fact: Men spend 65% of their time imagining new superpowers.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a relative new, as in, new to them personally, or a wider new, as in superpowers that haven't been conceived of yet?

If it's the former, I totally fit the profile. If it's the latter, I don't see it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, look! It's a Da_G!

[Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of my car imagining Laser Beams of Death(R) transfixing my fellow motorists. Does this count?
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally am imagining the same super powers over and over in different situations, guess I'm just lazy.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Imaginging up superpowers is the elementary crap. What's hard is making it into a cohesive story that doesn't suffer from power creep, plot holes, and the like.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
When Im daydreaming at work I think about the power to control gravity. Literally the ability to create various degrees of gravitational force, flatten a car to the thickness of paper or not be restricted by gravity at all.

Imagine a character who could "fly" by floating up in zero-g and then falling in the desired direction once high enough. Make it funny though, have him wear an AirForce pilot helmet and air tank so he can breath regularly.

Heroes took my only other unused idea, the black-hole guy dissapeared way too fast for having such a cool power.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_Goat:

It's an established fact that men spend 90% of their time thinking about sex. Therefore, many (if not most) the superpowers they imagine will never will never make it into a PG13 movie.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The superpowers can make it into PG13 movies just fine, they just won't be used as awesomely.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Da_Goat:

It's an established fact that men spend 90% of their time thinking about sex. Therefore, many (if not most) the superpowers they imagine will never will never make it into a PG13 movie.
Those two thoughts really don't mix well anyway...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I read the opening post to mean "Men spend 65% of their time imagining new nations with colossal international power."

"Everybody wants to rule the world." (Tears for Fears)

I must not be male enough.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no need to imagine powers; I already have the Ultimate Power, the master technique of techniques.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
I have no need to imagine powers; I already have the Ultimate Power, the master technique of techniques.

I have an even better technique, the one where I laugh at fools.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine new superpowers that nobody has ever had. and a backstory. and a plot. and enemies. and tragic losses.

cue the Kanye "No man should have all that power"

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps because this connection is so intimate, the Ultimates regard one who loses their Ultimate Power permanently - without hope of regaining it - as schiavo, or "dead while breathing".
Classy bunch of obsessives there, natch
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of my car imagining Laser Beams of Death(R) transfixing my fellow motorists. Does this count?

Yes.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Perhaps because this connection is so intimate, the Ultimates regard one who loses their Ultimate Power permanently - without hope of regaining it - as schiavo, or "dead while breathing".
Classy bunch of obsessives there, natch
That line does frustrate me because I otherwise think it's a pretty awesome essay.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Grover knows what makes a hero "super"
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.