FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just witnessed an assault on a muslim cabdriver (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I just witnessed an assault on a muslim cabdriver
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. So that's how religiously tolerant you are. Gotcha.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Ah. So that's how religiously tolerant you are. Gotcha.

You know, the irony here is that I have been, many times, aghast at the extreme atheism of KoM, TomD, and even a few others, KoM being the worst, generally. However, you still try and play the victim with me. Please, dude. I'm not buying it. I am as centrist as centrist GETS on the issue. I don't rule out the existence of souls/God/gods, nor do I precisely believe, either. I have hope, though not certainty, that science will answer all that, maybe within our lifetimes. Meanwhile, I think a good temporary rule of thumb is staying somewhere between killing people for being the wrong religion and killing people for simply having religion. Pretty much exactly in the middle, in fact, is the best place, in my view. That place IS what I occupy.

You can't ask for a much fairer POV on the situation, IMHO.

Notice I'm not agitating for legislation like China's "1 child" policy. I like it, and I think that long-term international food donations to countries that overpopulate should be contingent on it, to a certain degree, but I'm not agitating for it. I do like it, though. And yes, I get the irony, that I'm saying this on the message board of OSC, the writer of Ender's Game. The question is, do YOU get the irony that overpopulation is often a major correlating factor/cause of WAR?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OTOH, Osama and his veil-wearing wives have created, what, 54 little future suicide bombers?

I originally read this as "Obama and his veil wearing wives." I was very confused.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

I wasn't lecturing you on your tolerance of religion, though truthfully I think this thread is highlighting a bit of a lack of that. Not that I think it's a huge character flaw to be disapproving of veiling or anything, since I'm not fond of it myself. I was, however, pointing out it was awfully strange of you to say, "That's not religious expression," about veiling.

It's just silly. You don't get to make that distinction, man. You're an outsider. You're not in a position to tell members of a religion what is and isn't an expression of their religion. It's just that simple.

quote:
To be clear, I have no problem with Islam. I have a problem with not feeling safe. The veil..doesn't...make...me...feel...SAFE.
And here we have a completely different, totally unrelated objection to veiling than you were making before, steven. One which I completely understand and in some ways share, though to be honest...the 'ones' who are really dangerous? They're embedded. The guys who flew planes into buildings? Weren't wearing turbans, or riding camels, or any of that stereotypical nonsense. You're exposing your own ignorance here in a pretty straightforward way. The people who might actually be a threat to your physical safety here, in the United States, aren't the 'openly Muslim' such as the veiled women. They are the ones much more likely to be the victims of violence here than to be the perpetrators of it.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, the irony here is that I have been, many times, aghast at the extreme atheism of KoM, TomD, and even a few others, KoM being the worst, generally.
I wear my sunglasses at night.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't just handle this, ma-an! I'm living on the edge!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
American pop culture reference, I guess?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite sure what connection Tom is making, but it's an 80s song.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm just deeply amused by the thought of someone being aghast at how XXXtreme I am. I'm not just atheier than you are; I'm atheiest.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm just deeply amused by the thought of someone being aghast at how XXXtreme I am. I'm not just atheier than you are; I'm atheiest.
Okay, I'm mostly commenting to help set up a massive number of posts with identical numbers of replies, but I honestly thought that was hilarious.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... so, what if I decided I wanted to wear a face veil just because I wanted to? Is that also against the rules? What if I wanted to wear a face veil because of a horrible disfigurement? In that case, would your wish to read lips trump my wish to not be stared at?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.