FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Shows? Someone point me in the right direction (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Shows? Someone point me in the right direction
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the Event too. It was much better than I thought it would be.

Hawaii 5-0 was also outstanding. But with the Kurtzman / Orci team (MI III, Star Trek), I'm not particularly surprised.

The Defenders was a very entertaining courtroom drama, but I don't have enough time for shows that aren't outstanding. It's good, and relatively fun, but it isn't great.

Outsourced was just bad. They spend too much time poking fun at India, and there isn't any heart. It's a very shabby, underfunded sitcom. Maybe it would have played better if it had the heart / introspection of a show like Scrubs.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who recognized the nod to Repo Man in the first "Chuck" episode? Harry Dean Stanton was essentially reprising his role from the movie.

I should probably write the show and tell them that someone enjoyed the cultural ref.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Hawaii Five-O too! the character's were genuinely likable and even though at times th dialogue seemed pretty weak it was like a good action movie. Lots of investigating that ends up with action (usually fun) most of the time. I need to fill my loads of shooting quota since 24 got the axe.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
One of the reasons I laugh so hard at Big Bang Theory is that I understand more of it than a normal person would. I mean, in the pilot, when they were talking about how Superman catching Lois Lane falling off a building would probably snap her like a twig, I thought it was great. When I saw the large bottle in the top of Leonard's closet, I knew right off the bat that it had to be a model of Kandor.

The IT Crowd... it's okay, but I don't think it's as good.

I'm with you on the IT crowd. We tried to watch a few episodes over the summer, and aside from a few moments, we thought it was pretty mediocre. Of course, we also think the US Office is far superior to the British one too.

As for Modern Family, it is truly amazing for a half-hour sitcom. They manage to pull off the bumbling dad stereotype in a fresh, endearing, loving way. I've never watched a show where I've loved so many of the characters (all but one of them, actually), all in different ways.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is enough interesting about Castle besides wondering if those two will ever get it on. It's like X files, only not actually similar in any particulars.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
It's close to the end of its season, but the show I'm most excited about right now is Haven over on Syfy. I don't know what it is about Steven King adaptations that I love so much, but the back half of this season is seriously delivering.

It sort of started like an X-Files lite, but they've been bringing some nicely intense drama. If they keep this groove up next season, it may be my new favorite show.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike & Molly is surprisingly good. Good combination of really sweet and very funny. (Mike's story about his dad in the pilot being a perfect example.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Hawaii 5-0 as well, I really didn't think I would. There are very few cop shows I have liked over the years, they can get formulaic REALLY quickly.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
The first two episodes of Fringe were really enjoyable.

After watching the third episode of The Event I am starting to like it more.

I love Chuck. I'm sooooo glad Jeff, Lester, and Big Mike are back.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I just watched the pilot episode of Raising Hope, which was excellent. Great characters, exactly the right blend of stereotypes and depth for a sitcom. A main character who manages to be "everyman" and likeable but interesting. Very funny and sweet.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/178543/raising-hope-pilot

I finally caught the pilot last night. You are right, it is excellent. My brother and I were still laughing an hour after the show was over. It's got such a delightfully morbid sense of humor. If all the episodes are as good as the pilot, this is going to be my favorite new series this season.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think that the pilot episode is the best one so far, but the other ones have been almost as good.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that The Ev(backwards E)nt has been picked up for a full season. This year is so slim on new shows that interest me even slightly, I'll take whatever sci-fi/mystery show I can get. As long as it creatively does better than FlashForward (not difficult), it's doing well in my book.

I plan to start watching Fringe when I have time.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just going to write it The EV3NT. And I think the parallel universe thing is pretty much a given now.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I'm just going to write it The EV3NT. And I think the parallel universe thing is pretty much a given now.

SPOILERS?

Vs time travel vs distant cousins a la the 12 colonies? Are there there other alternatives?

Also: THE EVƎNT

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

EVƎNT SPOILERS:

Parallel-developed aliens are still a possibility. Or humans that were bioengineered with some lost tech, just returning -- but that's pretty much the same as the "distant cousins" theory.

My money's on time travel. . . .

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
I'm glad that The Ev(backwards E)nt has been picked up for a full season. This year is so slim on new shows that interest me even slightly, I'll take whatever sci-fi/mystery show I can get. As long as it creatively does better than FlashForward (not difficult), it's doing well in my book.

I plan to start watching Fringe when I have time.

The Event started off better than FlashForward, V, or Fringe. Fringe has been improving into greatness, but the Event might just be another Lost -- great from the beginning. It's been getting stronger with each episode, and it shows no signs of slowing yet....
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
EVƎNT SPOILERS:
quote:
The thing that makes me question this is that they don't seem too concerned about mucking with the past in major ways.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

That's why I'm discarding the time travel hypothesis.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I saw the first episode of Tower Prep. Sort of a cross between The Prisoner and Sky High. It looks like it's going to be an excellent show.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
where is that airing?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
EVƎNT SPOILERS:
quote:
The thing that makes me question this is that they don't seem too concerned about mucking with the past in major ways.
Who said anything about travel from the future. . . .

<<Cues ominous music>>

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I watched the first episode and a half of the EVƎNT. Is it really that good? It seemed pretty meh to me.

(Speaking as someone who liked Lost but gave up on Flashforward).

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
where is that airing?

It's on Cartoon Network. Even though it's live action. I think they're just trying to confuse us.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I understand why MTV needs to air things other than music videos, since music videos are a fairly narrow form of entertainment. I have absolutely no idea why Cartoon Network needs to air something other than cartoons, since cartoons can mean anything.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Just watched the pilot of No Ordinary Family. Thought it was pretty good. I particularly liked the fight scene between the teleporter/phaser guy and Mr. Incredible.
Herblay
Member # 11834

quote:
I watched the first episode and a half of the EVƎNT. Is it really that good? It seemed pretty meh to me.

(Speaking as someone who liked Lost but gave up on Flashforward).

It gets progressively better. I also liked Lost, but I gave up on FlashForward about half-way in. I watched V through the first season, but I was kinda meh about it.

It's twice as watchable as FlashForward (and the budget's about 5 times as high).

Lisa
Member # 8384

I'm really impressed by Jason Ritter's character. I keep thinking of him as Kevin, though, even though he's Sean on this show.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Should I give Fringe another try? I watched the first probably 2 episodes, and while I was put off by the magic science, nothing else really made me care enough to stick around.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Fringe went from run of the mill cop-show with bad science to something pretty awesome. Apart from Dexter it's the show I look forward to most each week.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You you liked ______ or ______, then I think you'll like Fringe.

Fill in the blank?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't really compare it to another show...

It's an arc show though. The bad science doesn't go away, but it becomes far less annoying. Walter is funny. and... most of the stuff I want to say I like would be a spoiler...

Unfortunately you have to watch a lot of setup and character building before they really dig into the arc. I was pretty "Meh" on the show until the end of the first season. Then I bought the DVD and got my hubby to watch it and by the end he commented that he didn't understand why I said the show was mediocre. And it gets better from there. It's sorta like LOST in reverse. LOST started out super awesome and got lame. Fringe started out lame and turned somewhat awesome.

And like LOST, it's a JJ Abrams show so expect weirdness. Still, I wouldn't say it's similar to LOST in any other way.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Fringe went from run of the mill cop-show with bad science to something pretty awesome. Apart from Dexter it's the show I look forward to most each week.

I missed the last half of season two. How horribly confused will I be if I start up again with season three?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I watched the pilot of Fringe. It creeped me out badly. I'm the kind of person who avoids horror movies at all costs. I won't watch Supernatural. I managed Ghost Whisperer, because the real scary things were few and far between in most seasons. But I caught part of an X-Files ep once, and it scared the bejeebers out of me.

So... is Fringe for me? I love Warehouse 13. Is it on that level, but less comedy-ish? Or is it more X-Files-ish?

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I never watched X-Files but I've heard others compare the two.

I've also never watched Warehouse 13...

Suddenly I feel like I need to turn in my Hatrack membership card.

Fringe has some gross stuff, but not a lot of "BOO!" scares. I don't know what it is about horror you don't like.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

Fringe has some gross stuff, but not a lot of "BOO!" scares. I don't know what it is about horror you don't like.

I hadn't watched Warehouse 13 until one of the characters from that show guested on Eureka. Then I had to, and I'm so glad I did.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Is there any given point I could start watching Fringe AFTER the period of bad science and nothing particularly exciting happening? I tried watching the early episodes a few times and gave up.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I think there is enough interesting about Castle besides wondering if those two will ever get it on. It's like X files, only not actually similar in any particulars.

I agree. I actually started watching it simply because it was Nathan Fillion, and wasn't excited - didn't feel like I wanted to get involved in another Bones-like show where the "Will they or won't they?" is the only thing driving it forward week to week.

However, I find now that I look forward to Castle and not because of the relationship between Castle and Beckett - I maybe it's because I'm a parent of two teen girls, but I find the scenes between Castle and Alexis warm, funny, sometimes sad, and as believable as a make-believe, written for TV drama family can be.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
NBC is touting the show as a cross between Lost and 24. I have problems with those comparisons. The Event had the same pacing and sense of urgency of 24, but it had nothing to do with Lost. Sure there is mystery, but only to the audience. The characters shown last night, (The President and the shaggy guy) know exactly what is happening, but the audience doesn't. Part of what made Lost so special is that the characters knew as little as the audience did.

But every season there was a character or two that made you believe they know everything (Locke, Ben, even Jacob didn't know everything). Just because the characters in The Event think they know what's going on doesn't mean they do.

I'm looking forward to the baseball playoffs being over and Fringe starting again. And while I didn't read any reviews to persuade me in either direction, Raising Hope and Running Wilde both made me laugh. I fell in love with the show Community last year, but the episodes this year just haven't been as funny.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Raising Hope has just been super adorable. I don't think I've seen another show with as much warmth in its dysfunction. Usually the "point and laugh at the weird family" shows annoy me, but I haven't gotten that vibe from Hope.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fringe" no where near approaches the awesomeness that was "The X-Files." An episode of the X-files like "Triangle" is worth the whole of J.J Abrams career.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
The Walking Dead is starting soon.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

The preair has already surfaced.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave in and watched a leaked copy of the first episode.

Without saying too much, I was very impressed. I'm particularly amazed by the amount of gore AMC allowed. The acting was solid and I really got the feeling that the writers understood the source material. There were great little visual nods to the graphic novel but the changes and additions were also well-done and in line with the spirit of the series. The first episode has quite a bit of set-up but there were still some good action scenes and heart-wrenching moments.

I'm glad I got to see it early, but now I'm annoyed at myself because its an even longer gap of time between now and the second episode (unless it gets leaked as well. *fingers crossed*)

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

I am absolutely loving this show. Yes, the first few eps were kind of "eh", but I'm into the second season already, and it's fantastic!!! Thanks.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Last year I watched one episode of Modern Family and went "meh." Today I watched one random episode cause I was bored, then I started watching all of this season 'cause its hilarious. Not sure if the episode I saw last year was just an off one or what, but it's pretty good.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.