FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I was rude. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I was rude.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
So this guy comes up to me and says "Excuse me, can I ax you a question, if you don't mind?"

"Yes," I say. "But make it snappy."

"Oh, sorry, my bad. So I'm wanting to go to Tripoint"

and I cut him dead - right-about-turn and walk away. It was clear that he couldn't make it snappy if his life depended on it. But it was still a bit rude. I can't help but wonder if maybe I'd have been a bit more patient with a white guy.

Apart from that, what is with Americans and thinking they can just talk to any random person in the street, who is going along and minding his own business? It's annoying and rude.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

Apart from that, what is with Americans and thinking they can just talk to any random person in the street, who is going along and minding his own business? It's annoying and rude.

Is it really annoying and rude? I don't physically stop people who look like they are in a hurry, but I'll ask directions from people around me, chat idly with people waiting for a bus or an an elevator, and make conversation when something interesting happens.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been surrounded by Americans for my entire life and have only very rarely been approached by random strangers in the street... almost all of them hobos.

Maybe I smell bad.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So this guy comes up to me and says "Excuse me, can I ax you a question, if you don't mind?"

That's pretty rude right there. You should have just said you didn't have time to answer his question instead of saying "but make it snappy." Are you an adult?
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm with White Whale here. I won't stop someone who has an unfriendly or preoccupied look about them. But if someone is standing idly, or with me in line or something, I have no problem with striking up a conversation to kill time, or with asking a random person a question if I'm unfamiliar with something.

I don't think it's rude at all, unless their actual actions are rude once the ice is broken, but the pure act of talking to a stranger? No.

Is it a European thing to not talk to strangers and be closed off? I know there are jokes about British people anyway being stuffy, but I always thought it was just a cultural stereotype.

PS. Nice use of Ebonics.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
KOM: It's pretty common courtesy to be able to ask a random person for directions if you are in an unfamiliar location. It's also expected that if you don't know the way you just say so.

It was pretty rude, so perhaps next time you will provide direction without giving anybody any guff yes?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rude + smug about being rude = even ruder!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it a European thing to not talk to strangers and be closed off?
It's a Norwegian thing at least. Think about how you feel about telemarketers - that's what this is to them. [Smile]

I also remember something about using "please" when asking for something to be awkward, but I'm fuzzy on that. Maybe KoM knows what I'm talking about.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sa'eed:
quote:

That's pretty rude right there. You should have just said you didn't have time to answer his question instead of saying "but make it snappy." Are you an adult?
Yeah, I think I agree with this. You probably were better off saying something along the lines of "Sorry man I'm in a rush". You didn't do yourself any favors here.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

I'm not smug, I feel kind of bad about it. But sheesh, is nobody in this country capable of asking a simple question without two hours of backstory?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It boggles my mind that somebody thinks it's not OK to ask strangers for directions.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I'm not smug, I feel kind of bad about it. But sheesh, is nobody in this country capable of asking a simple question without two hours of backstory?
But from your description KOM it sounded like he got to the point after you told him to make it snappy. Where's the backstory?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But from your description KOM it sounded like he got to the point after you told him to make it snappy.
No, it sounds like he started with an assertion. Some preparatory information prior to the question. If you say you're in a hurry and the first thing that comes out is not, in fact, a question, then who knows how long until he actually gets to the point.

I have similar frustration with inefficient communications, but I'm conditioned by culture to not just turn around and walk away.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
It's a Norwegian thing at least. Think about how you feel about telemarketers - that's what this is to them. :)

See, but I'm always pretty kind to telemerketers (not that I'm about to listen to the sales pitch, I just try to keep in mind that they're just doing their job and would probably not harass people on the phone if they could find a job that didn't require them to harass people on the phone).

KoM, I do think it was a bit rude, but I just think you should acknowledge that you are not a person who does well chatting with strangers and try not to let people start conversations. It's not rude at all to say, "Nope, sorry, I'm busy." But to expect them to live up to your definition of "snappy," well, most people are going to fail miserably there.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another reason why I'll never move out of the South. Its rude to not smile and say "hello" to anyone within a five foot radius.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for directions. I enjoy striking up conversations with strangers. I enjoy strangers striking up conversations with me. I accept that most people aren't going to feel like having a huge, lengthy dialog with a random guy they just met, and that's fine. But the notion that trying in the first place is wrong? How exactly are people supposed to make friends then?

But I DO think that if people have the right to go up and talk to you on the street, you have the right to walk away. I think what makes you seem particularly rude there is that you DID stop and give him the impression you were going to listen, and then suddenly turned and left. Saying "make it snappy" wasn't the best way to put it. Depending on your tone, it may read more as a joke than an actual "I will literally walk away if you give me the impression that you will talk longer than 30 seconds to ask your question." If that's what you mean, then maybe say something more like "I don't have a lot of time." Dunno.

In any case, if you find yourself changing your mind like that, at least give a reason "I'm sorry, I really am in a rush and I need to get going." It's the turning and walking away without warning that feels particularly rude.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

That was two hours of backstory?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it easier just to not talk to people in Futurama.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
quote:

That was two hours of backstory?
I'll admit I was taking out on this guy some frustration at other people giving me the two hours of backstory. I kind of got the feeling that this was going to take a while, though, which the actual words don't convey.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yet another reason why I'll never move out of the South. Its rude to not smile and say "hello" to anyone within a five foot radius.
Yes, but this is true of small towns all over the U.S., it's not exclusive to the south. I live in northern Kansas, and it's damn near impossible to walk by anyone on a sidewalk or a hallway without acknowledging their presence.

I'm not the most social of creatures, but I would have answered someone's question. You crossed the boundary into rudeness by not waiting for the guy to actually ask the question. Patience, young grasshopper. Some people take forever to gag out a sentence/question. j/k [Wink]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll admit I was taking out on this guy some frustration at other people giving me the two hours of backstory. I kind of got the feeling that this was going to take a while, though, which the actual words don't convey.

So you pull a bait and switch? If I saw someone do that, I'd frankly just assume it meant that they were either an asshole or were just generally socially stunted to the extent where they get uncomfortable just being talked to by strangers.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

So you pull a bait and switch? If I saw someone do that, I'd frankly just assume it meant that they were either an asshole or were just generally socially stunted to the extent where they get uncomfortable just being talked to by strangers.
I agree. I live in an area where strangers walking up to me is a daily occurrence. Even with the ones that are obviously insane and/or on hard drugs, I still manage to tell them before I walk away. Just abruptly walking away, especially after talking to them, seems very awkward to me.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PS. Nice use of Ebonics.
I can't tell if that was supposed to be Ebonics or an Asian accent.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you walked away. "Oh, sorry, my bad. So I'm wanting to go to Tripoint" seems like it'd lead directly into "and I got lost on the way, so can you give me directions?" Nothing that would take up more than a few seconds of your time.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, depending on tone, it might have been the introduction to a story.

I assume most people who walk up to me and request my attention are going to ask me for money. Someone who wants to get somewhere especially.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
quote:
Yes, but this is true of small towns all over the U.S., it's not exclusive to the south. I live in northern Kansas, and it's damn near impossible to walk by anyone on a sidewalk or a hallway without acknowledging their presence.

Too bad I'm not a fan of small towns. I find them boring and often lacking in diversity. But in my experience with large cities, people in NYC and DC behave very differently than those in Austin or New Orleans. I do hear nice things about Seattle (but I can't survive in temperatures below 20 degrees F) and Houston is sadly lacking in manners, so I'm not saying all of the South is sweet and that the North is evil.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
NYC had a reputation for being mean and inhospitable, but I've found that on any given street corner, there's enough people that if you say "excuse me, I'm looking for this place" you'll get a friendly person to help you out.

I actually met several French people when I was in LA who had been traveling the country, and said that NY (and America in general) was one of the friendliest places they'd been.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Asking for directions in San Fransisco seemed to work out
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Asking for directions in San Fransisco seemed to work out

Ha! That episode of Futurama makes even more sense now!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like King of Men just passed 10,000 posts. I guess that makes this his landmark thread.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Looks like King of Men just passed 10,000 posts. I guess that makes this his landmark thread.

This seems a little bit mean but it made me laugh really hard.

Sorry, KoM!

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
People ask me for directions all the time, for some reason. Perhaps I look like I know where I'm going. It's honestly never occurred to me not to try to help if I might know the answer.
Seriously, you have time to spend writing on an internet forum, but have no time to help out real-life people?

Last Friday an old woman asked me directions (in Spanish, because this is Spain) for the metro station, and while I took a second to think where she should go, she said 'Oh, no. You're not even Spanish, are you?'
Which was kind of rude, since, if she thought I was a foreign tourist and might not understand the language, what was she doing asking me directions?
Anyway, I said 'No, I'm not Spanish', gave her the directions and embarrassed her a little bit.

If you don't help people (even annoying people), next time you're lost or in trouble, perhaps no-one will help you either.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
quote:
quote:

Too bad I'm not a fan of small towns. I find them boring and often lacking in diversity. But in my experience with large cities, people in NYC and DC behave very differently than those in Austin or New Orleans. I do hear nice things about Seattle (but I can't survive in temperatures below 20 degrees F) and Houston is sadly lacking in manners, so I'm not saying all of the South is sweet and that the North is evil.
Until two years ago, my only real exposure to the south was visits to family in Houston, and after years of stereotypes about the magic of southern hospitality, I was shocked at how rude people were. I spend most of my times in the suburbs of Detroit, and people around here are pretty friendly. Most every one says please and thank you, we hold doors open for each other, say hello to strangers when out for a walk, wave when a car stops to let a pedestrian by, etc.

But I have to say, I've never felt warm fuzzies like I felt when I visited Charleston two years ago. The sheer number of smiling, polite, friendly faces and people left me both bewildered and very, very happy. A couple stops in small-town Kentucky on the same trip yielded some pretty nice people too, but wow, as far as I'm concerned, Charleston is the nicest place in the world, and has more than blotted out the bad feelings that Houston engendered in me towards the south as a whole.

I don't ever see myself living in a big city. I'm not saying I wouldn't but neither would I live in a small town, per se. I live in a medium sized suburb that isn't really diverse at all, but the community as a whole is extremely diverse, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone of a different race or religion around here. It's a perfect mix of busy downtown nightlife and quiet unhurried days. I need my quiet time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

As word would have it, I live in one of the happiest, friendliest urban centers in the entire world. The coasts are fine too; the worst attitudes I've experienced in the country are in Dallas and Detroit.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
As word would have it, I live in one of the happiest, friendliest urban centers in the entire world. The coasts are fine too; the worst attitudes I've experienced in the country are in Dallas and Detroit.

You live in Charleston?

And where in Detroit were you? Inside the actual city limits is a mixed bag, but I wouldn't speak highly of it to others. The suburbs are as nice a place as any.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Charleston is nice. My bro lives there, and we go down to visit occasionally.

I was surprised at how kind everyone in Boston and Philly are, especially Boston. It's not that they were just polite-- they were actively KIND. They are definitely different worlds from Northern VA; here, no one really gives my family of seven more than a second glance. In Philly/Pennsylvania, we were openly gawked and commented upon. NICE comments, mind you; but the attention was interesting.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
In KoM's defense, depending on how far away Tripoint is from where he was asked the question, the guy very likely was going to ask for money, not directions. The way that usually goes around here is "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?" And when you say yes, launching into a long story about how they were just trying to get to X, where X is a suburb at least 15 miles away, but Y happened which is preventing them and they just need $2 in order to get around it. There's a patter to it, and you can tell from the first sentence if it's going to be an actual question ("How do I get to Tripoint?") or if it's the start of a story that will end with a request for money.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been asked for money in a similar manner before.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not in my experience. I've travelled tens of thousands of kilometers by bicycle all over Europe, including much of Scandanavia. I've asked hundreds of random strangers for directions and only very very rarely have people responded with anything but polite helpfulness. If anything, my experience is that people (particularly older people) try to be way too helpful, giving more information than you could possible remember.

"Go straight down this street and you'll come to an intersection with white house on one corner with several big dog. The people who live there raise show dogs .(blah blah blah) . . . . At that intersection you go straight then .(insert half a dozen different directions) . . . . . Oh but I know a better way. At the intersection with the dogs turn right (insert 3 minute discription of route). From that point there should be signs pointing to X. So (full repeat of previous discription)." Then they want to chat a bit about where we are from, how long we've been cycling, where we are going before they repeat the entire set of instructions.

No I'd have to say that in my experience northern Europeans are very talkative, as long as you aren't trying to convert them to your religion or sell them something. My biggest dilemma is trying to decide at what point it isn't rude to cut them off and proceed on our way. When you stop someone to ask for directions, it seems rude not to hear them out but there has to be some sort of limit.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
You live in Charleston?

Boulder, Colorado.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Happens all the time in Chicago.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And where in Detroit were you? Inside the actual city limits is a mixed bag, but I wouldn't speak highly of it to others. The suburbs are as nice a place as any.
I'd say the same of Dallas.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Until two years ago, my only real exposure to the south was visits to family in Houston, and after years of stereotypes about the magic of southern hospitality, I was shocked at how rude people were. I spend most of my times in the suburbs of Detroit, and people around here are pretty friendly. Most every one says please and thank you, we hold doors open for each other, say hello to strangers when out for a walk, wave when a car stops to let a pedestrian by, etc.

But I have to say, I've never felt warm fuzzies like I felt when I visited Charleston two years ago. The sheer number of smiling, polite, friendly faces and people left me both bewildered and very, very happy. A couple stops in small-town Kentucky on the same trip yielded some pretty nice people too, but wow, as far as I'm concerned, Charleston is the nicest place in the world, and has more than blotted out the bad feelings that Houston engendered in me towards the south as a whole.

I don't ever see myself living in a big city. I'm not saying I wouldn't but neither would I live in a small town, per se. I live in a medium sized suburb that isn't really diverse at all, but the community as a whole is extremely diverse, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone of a different race or religion around here. It's a perfect mix of busy downtown nightlife and quiet unhurried days. I need my quiet time.

The thing about Houston is that a lot of hipsters live there. Hipsters are pretty snobby people in general.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I'm really not going to call Detroit a 'mixed bag.' It's just absolutely not a good city. I'm sure the suburbs may be better, they usually are. But in terms of the cities themselves (where I prefer to dwell), places like Dallas, Detroit, Cleveland, and even Miami are just mean.

This is mean on a national standard though. For all the guff the U.S. gets for its cities, the United States can be remarkably polite and helpful in everyday interactions. It's related to a phenomenon of low cultural 'power distance' that fosters high and positive interactivity between strangers.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Not in my experience. They just wait until you leave to say it.

The South is just as rude, but only half as honest about it.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, that was my experience, too.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Wait what? They wait till you leave to say "hello?"
Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
This might be helpful, although it does a ranking based on losing a letter, pretending to be blind, or hurt instead of asking for directions.

In the US, places like Detroit and Housten do surprisngly well while places like LA and New York do really poorly. There doesn't seem to be much of a south-north trend, rather a pretty stereotypical population density trend and a violent crime rate.

Going globally though, this is much more of a mixed bag:
quote:
There were other notable trends, although each had its exceptions. Helping rates tended to be high in countries with low economic productivity (low gross domestic product per capita—that is, less purchasing power for each citizen), in cities with a slow pace of life (as measured by pedestrian walking speeds) and in cultures that emphasize the value of social harmony. This city "personality" is consistent with the simpático hypothesis. People in communities where social obligations take priority over individual achievement tend to be less economically productive, but they show more willingness to assist others. This trend did not, however, hold for all of the cities in our study.
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/the-kindness-of-strangers/3

So places like Mexico City and Shanghai do surprisingly (to me) well in the global survey while New York remains near the bottom. Looks like they limited it to a population range in the global survey, so no Canada either.

Some other interesting observations, some experiments in particular cities couldn't be run due to cultural differences like worries about terrorism, unique scams, and people being too civil in Tokyo (and some unknown factor in Hong Kong).

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
One good point for optimists, overall in the majority of cities, it looks like you are more likely to be helped than not. Eyeballing it, there are only a handful of cities that fall below 50% (LA, New York, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur).
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Excuse me, can I ax you a question, if you don't mind?"

"Yes, but I may have to kill you."

Whether its rude or not, the conversation usually doesn't go much further.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The thing about Houston is that a lot of hipsters live there. Hipsters are pretty snobby people in general.
Hipsters live in Houston now?? Weird. My experiences with Houston had led me to believe that very few people actually LIVE there, but rather commute from the ever-expanding suburbs. It always gave off this "capitalist mecca" vibe with all of its banks and oil companies. Its hardly the kind of artistic, diverse environment that I've always associated with hipsters. Of course, its likely that many of them grew up repressed in the suburbs and just never took the initiative to leave.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.