FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I was rude. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I was rude.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
lol.

One thing I'm curious about is to what degree the unhelpfulness of individuals in a city is outweighed by the greater number of people. If 95% of people are jerks, but there's 100 people on every street, that may be better in some ways than an area where 100% of people are nice but you only have a 50% chance of running into anyone at all.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's a good question, but I don't think the percentages worked that way. As in the 50% cut-off I highlighted was the chance of anyone helping (versus no one helping).
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my numbers were made up. I doubt suburban areas are going to have a 100% help rate-per-person either.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucous
Member # 12331

- posted      Profile for Mucous           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ok, I thought they were intended to be comparable. Fair enough.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
On second thought my mistake was rather in being too polite; by sheer reflex I accepted the beginning of the interaction instead of saying "No, I'm busy". An earlier cutoff would have been the correct action.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
You live in Charleston?

Boulder, Colorado.
You live in Boulder, Samp? That's where I'm from and live right now! I had no idea.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
You live in Boulder, Samp? That's where I'm from and live right now! I had no idea.

Hobbes [Smile]

It's one of the few places where you can live and not worry about your childhood friends dispersing to the winds too much.

They'll be back.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're friends with this guy. Which I actually was.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
@ Shanna, I'm sure most of them decided to move into the city once they decided it was time to get out of the 'burbs.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
On second thought my mistake was rather in being too polite; by sheer reflex I accepted the beginning of the interaction instead of saying "No, I'm busy".

This is also unnecessarily brusque and curt. Many people would interpret it as rudeness.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
That's as may be, but it would meet my own standards of politeness.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Your standards have led you to this thread.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

"Sorry, I'm busy" would be sufficient for me.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Bumped to maximize the number of threads with 63 replies at the top.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As well as your assumption that the issue here is that you were 'too polite?'
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am with ElJay on this. That sounds to me like a lead up to a request for money. I think that would justify a change in willingness to listen to the guy's pitch. I do think that a, "Sorry, I really don't have time", as you headed away would have been nicer than just walking away.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a clash of cultures, is all. It would never occur to me that there was anything untoward about asking a perfect stranger for directions. Nor would I ever consider it an imposition for someone to ask me for them. If I was in a hurry, I might say, "Sorry, but I'm really in a hurry," but I'd probably feel bad about it.

In Israel, you can be riding on the bus, and the person next to you might start asking you about the book you're reading. A total stranger, totally out of the blue. It took me a while to get used to that, because it doesn't happen a lot here in Chicago, but it's totally normal in Israel. At least in Jerusalem.

Obviously, the cultural norm in Norway differs from the cultural norm here in the US.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So this guy comes up to me and says "Excuse me, can I ax you a question, if you don't mind?"

"Yes," I say. "But make it snappy."

"Oh, sorry, my bad. So I'm wanting to go to Tripoint"

and I cut him dead - right-about-turn and walk away. It was clear that he couldn't make it snappy if his life depended on it. But it was still a bit rude. I can't help but wonder if maybe I'd have been a bit more patient with a white guy.

Apart from that, what is with Americans and thinking they can just talk to any random person in the street, who is going along and minding his own business? It's annoying and rude.

Hahahahaha!

I love the casual admittance of racism in this post! This = brilliant.

You're not right. Normal people don't react like this. Just letting you know.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
You live in Charleston?

Boulder, Colorado.

Hobbes [Smile]

I live nearby. It's pretty, but not my favorite place.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think it's funny that I only live a couple hundred miles from Houston, and I really have no idea what the people there are like. I don't think I've ever spent more than a couple of hours in Houston propper.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sorry, I'm busy," would definitely not be considered rude by me. I might be irritated in the moment depending on how urgent my particular need was, though. Even, "No, I'm busy," wouldn't be considered rude, though the chances of my being irritated in the moment would be a bit greater. Personally, I would be more likely to say, "Sorry man, I'm too busy," and have said something along those lines in such situations too.

quote:
I love the casual admittance of racism in this post! This = brilliant.
Wait, did he casually admit racism? He wondered if he would. That sounds like a question to me, jebus. I know you're fond of a good zinger, but surely you can tell the difference between a declarative and interrogative sentence.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
You know, I think it's funny that I only live a couple hundred miles from Houston, and I really have no idea what the people there are like. I don't think I've ever spent more than a couple of hours in Houston propper.

That's ok, you're not missing much. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
I really see nothing wrong with the way KoM handled it. In general i will help people out, but we have some pretty aggressive pan-handlers in the last few places i've lived. If you don't give them a "sorry no money" or "i can't help you" as soon as they try to get your attention they will do things like follow you, block your vehicle, come up to your window, try to keep your door open, try to inhibit your walking, etc. Honestly its like getting softcore mugged, sometimes it goes to actually mugged.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Softcore mugged.

It happens that my mother-in-law and I were softcore mugged once, similar to the way you described. A bum came up to our car as she was opening the driver's side door and got right in her way, then held out a cup of what looked like very hot coffee. He proceeded to tell her he really needed money, and she ended up giving him a five out of fear that he would dump the coffee on her if she didn't acquiesce. "Mugged by coffee" sounds pretty sad; I still wonder if that would have held up in court as assault.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I guess I'm different from most people in that if someone tried to pull that sort of a stunt on me, it would go very, very poorly for them. Last time I was aggressively panhandled by someone who wouldn't back off when I told them to, I told them they had seconds to get out of range before I held them down and waited for the cops.

But yes, it would hold up in court as a form of assault. Many anti-aggression policies specifically about curbing panhandler aggression ensure an easy criminal conviction.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you're not a sixty-year-old woman, then. [Smile]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
In Israel, you can be riding on the bus, and the person next to you might start asking you about the book you're reading. A total stranger, totally out of the blue. It took me a while to get used to that, because it doesn't happen a lot here in Chicago, but it's totally normal in Israel. At least in Jerusalem.

That happens to me all the time in DC. And I'm torn--on the one hand, I like chatting with people and I really like talking about books. On the other hand, I've had guys use "What are you reading?" as an attempted pick-up line. The last guy to do that took our few sentences of conversation as invitation to grope me while telling me in lengthy detail how much I'd enjoy having sex with him. The bus was packed like a sardine can, I literally couldn't move, and no one was willing to intervene.

Maybe the same thing would have happened even if I'd ignored his initial conversational overture and just kept my eyes fixed on my book. I don't know. I do know I'm a bit more cautious now about engaging in conversation with strangers, and any red flag (like, for instance, lying about having read the book) will make me walk away without stopping to say, "Sorry, I have to go."

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, this is why I avoid panhandlers and always say "No, thank you" to most people when they try to stop me on the street. The metro stations are better - people are generally asking for directions. But on the street sidewalk? They either want money, straight up, or they want you to join their cause, which means money every month. It's always about money or wanting something from me.

And it has happened enough times that when I didn't produce it, I got hassled, that I don't stop anymore. It's easy to be confident about responding to implied threats when you're unlikely to be chosen as a target. As a well-dressed female on the street, my bitchy aloofness is sheer self defense. Everybody wants something, and they get mean when they don't get it. I won't even allow the conversation to start anymore.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like many of you are under the impression that a stranger is somehow deserving of your time, and that by approaching you on the street, they are able to socially obligate you to conversing.

I'm generally very polite to people, and I frequently give tourists directions, but my time is MY time, to do with as I please. If I'm busy and a stranger approaches me and I say, "Sorry, no time." that's not rude, that's beig assertive with my time.

I side with KoM being in the right. Abrupt, but well within his personal perrogative to stipulate exactly how much of his time be is willing to offer a stranger.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.