FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'cause Lucas hasn't destroyed everything yet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 'cause Lucas hasn't destroyed everything yet
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
He's going to re-re-re-release it to theaters in...

...wait for it...

...IN AWE INSPIRING, SPECTACULAR, POST-PRODUCTION 3D!!!

*cry!!!*

But wait!

quote:
Depending on how well The Phantom Menace does, each subsequent Star Wars film will be released in order at the same time each following year.
(Yeah, I had a hard time processing that sentence, too)

Maybe this plan will die young...

-=O=-

Addendum 10/26/2010:

Raiders of the Lost Ark might get the "treatment" as well

*cry!!!*

[ October 26, 2010, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if we can make that smilie 3D...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Greedo is going to shoot first in 3-D.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think that's terrible, imagine Jabba in 3D.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You just know that someone sold him on this idea by presenting him with the famous title starfield scroll in 3D. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
"Watching The Phantom Menace in 3D would be like the car actually crashing into your face as opposed to just unfolding before your eyes."

- Simon Pegg

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, Star Wars fans bitch too much. I look forward to seeing all 6 on the big screen again. I'm not big on the whole 3D fad, but oh well.

I'm not old enough to have seen the original films in theaters when they first debuted. I saw ANH and ESB when they were digitally remastered and re-released, but that was what, like 12 years ago? I've never seen RotJ on a big screen.

So yeah, I think this is kind of neat.

[ September 29, 2010, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I only bitch about the prequels, but it would be oh-so-nice to see them snubbed on the big screen when they get re-released.

Or, maybe they could release a director's cut: greedo shot first. specifically, he shot jar jar binks, who dies. Hooray! The prequel becomes an epic ballad about this rough-cut mercenary, and makes his death in the original trilogy ever the more poignant.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Some day in the future, when I get more free time, I am going to splice together my copies of the Special Editions and the original versions (of the three real films, of course) so that I can have a version with a) remastered sound and video and b) Han shooting first, Anakin's elderly ghost, and the original Max Rebo.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people care about Greedo shooting first?
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Okay, I know I said that the fans bitch too much, but Greedo shooting first IS the worst thing in the history of film.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Some day in the future, when I get more free time, I am going to splice together my copies of the Special Editions and the original versions (of the three real films, of course) so that I can have a version with a) remastered sound and video and b) Han shooting first, Anakin's elderly ghost, and the original Max Rebo.

I would pay you $100 for that. I wouldn't spend another dollar on Star Wars afterward.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote about it this morning.
quote:
'Star Wars' is going 3-D! I have no idea why!

Could be because George Lucas needs a bit more working capital before he can finally make that bid on the moon. Could be because Industrial Light & Magic engineers must be kept busy so they won't naturally turn to exotic crime "just to feel something." Could be because James Cameron and J. K. Rowling were making fun of Lucas in the Ultra Billionaire Creators Club and laughing at him while their manservants gave Lucas' manservant a swirlie in the executive washroom.

More...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Lucas is in for a rude awakening as to how much luster the Star Wars franchise has lost.

That said, I might see them if my daughter is interested. She'll be at about the right age. Certainly wouldn't see 'em for any other reason.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I dont see whats the problem here, post production 3-D added to them won't ruin them and is really only of interest to those with those new sony tvs.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
well if this does indeed happen and continue to happen I'd be very excited to see the original 3 films on the big screen. Even if I have to deal with post production 3D. however, if theyre starting with those new 3 shambles of film I'm not hopeful they'll get to 4-6

I mean I'm too young to have seen the originals in theaters, but that means I'm also young enough that 3D doesn't bother me. I am however, old enough to realize what real Star Wars is.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:

For me, it's because Han is the type of guy who would shoot first. He's not a murderer, but they were in Wuher's, the most dangerous place in the most dangerous city on the most dangerous planet for parsecs around, and the guy is an outlaw and a criminal, but yeah, he's also a pretty cool and decent guy deep down.

But he'd totally but a blaster bolt between Greedo's eyes when the guy has a gun on him and is threatening to take him to Jabba.

Having him shoot second robs a part of his character.

On another note, I might go see these. 3D is insanely hit or miss for me. I thought it was beautiful in Avatar, but I was totally underwhelmed in the movies I've seen in 3D since. Also, I think it needs to be something integrated rather than added-on after the fact. However, while I don't want lightsabers zooming into my face, I think some of the space battles could be pretty cool.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom, done and done. Quite well done...
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

The only thing that concerns is the whole "...depending on how well the first rerelease does..." bit.

All it has to do to be successful is turn a profit and rake in more money than it cost to turn into 3D and market it (not that it needs much marketing, but still).

The going "rule of thumb" cost for converting a 2D movie to 3D is $100,000 per minute (maybe more - closer to $150K if you ask Michael Bay - but humor me). At 136 minutes, Phantom Menace would cost only $13.6 million to convert from 2D to 3D.

That means that it could conceivably turn a profit in one weekend. Heck, movies that SUCK can make $14M easily these days, especially considering the additional fee for the damn glasses.

Also note one thing: where do you think the bulk of the $14M goes? Most probably ILM themselves... Lucas isn't the type to farm out something like this to a third party.

So, whether we like it or not... Whether we agree with it or not... I think we might be stuck with this.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't remember Anakin's ghost being not elderly. When did they do that? Weren't the digital remasters before the making of the prequels?

I actually found the 3D in Avatar very distracting. The 3D in Resident Evil Afterlife was pretty cool. I would say something about Resident Evil being primarily visual and not really trying to present a dramatic story with nuanced acting, but then I remembered I was comparing and contrasting with Avatar.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to outlive everyone who holds any given Star Wars film sacrosanct and then redo the entire thing in CGI when CGI has reached the point that you can perfectly recreate everything that was gotten right the first time and change everything that needs changing.

The prequels need changing in more ways than I can count, but no matter how you change it, there's honestly a lot of things in the original three that should be different as well, so it feels like a more homogenous whole instead of two completely different series.

1. Vader should look way more badass in the opening scene of New Hope. Sorry, he looked cool when it was first filmed, now he's a lame guy in a rubber suit.

2. Han shoots first again.

3. Obi-Wan visible reacts to R2-D2 (but doesn't say anything). He doesn't react to C-3PO because in my version, C-3PO isn't in the prequels. Unless someone can think of a damn good reason for him to be.

4. After Luke finds his aunt and uncle dead, we cut to the Stormtroopers reporting in to Vader about what they just did. We see Vader's face as they describe the torching of the Owen's farm. Vader pauses for a second (obviously not showing any particular emotion) before giving them their next orders. Viewers are free to interpret that however they want.

5. Technology in general looks more related to what it looks like in the prequels. Or vice versa. I'm not picky.

6. Holograms are in f#$@%ing high definition. You invented hyperdrive. Invent some damn holographs that actually work.

7. Young Anakin ghost. Sorry, but old Anakin ghost makes absolutely no sense. Either the ghost should look like humpty dumpty, or like Anakin before he got deformed. He does not get to look like some random pleasant old guy that never actually existed.

8. Original Jabba song and E-wow victory music.

[ September 30, 2010, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
re: 3
naked robot joke! Though my recollection is that the naked 3po is how Lucas originally imagined him, and they went with a dude in plastic armor due because it wasn't feasible to do him in stop motion.

When I rewatched Empire a couple of years ago, I actually realized C3PO is kind of annoying in that one.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
I like numbers 6 and 7.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Dislike 7. Luke saved Anakin at the end, and what you saw on Endor was the same actor but without all the voodoo makeup. That was the same guy, but without the taint of the dark side. Obi-Wan didn't come back with his torso half gone from where Vader slashed him to pieces, nor did he come back as his younger Ewan MacGregor form. It works perfectly as it was originally done.

Bumping that guy out for Hayden Christiansen was dumb, though I liked the continuity fix of putting the Emperor's face in instead of what was there originally in that one hologram scene.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I'm actually okay with young Anakin ghost. He's a spirit. He should be able to take any physical form he wants. Why not appear as his young pre-fall self? Sebastian Shaw also happens to look older than 46, which is how old Anakin is in RotJ.

I also prefer the new Ewok celebration music. Much more epic and emotional.

quote:
For me, it's because Han is the type of guy who would shoot first. He's not a murderer, but they were in Wuher's, the most dangerous place in the most dangerous city on the most dangerous planet for parsecs around, and the guy is an outlaw and a criminal, but yeah, he's also a pretty cool and decent guy deep down.

But he'd totally but a blaster bolt between Greedo's eyes when the guy has a gun on him and is threatening to take him to Jabba.

Agreed. The justification for the change is that Han shooting first makes him look like a cold blooded killer, but...

a) The conversation makes it pretty clear that it's self defense.
b) Having Greedo shoot first makes Han look like a lucky idiot for letting him get off a shot at a range that NO ONE should have missed at
c) Why try to make Han look like more of a good guy? Don't forget that he's essentially a drug runner at this point. Not downplaying his criminal nature makes his character arc more poignant.

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this "destroying Star Wars"?

If you don't want to see it in 3-D, don't go see it....

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I'm gonna be real sad with anyone who willingly sits down in a movie theater to watch the prequel movies. Why would you do that to yourself. Why. They're terrible. Who enjoys this.
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I'm gonna be real sad with anyone who willingly sits down in a movie theater to watch the prequel movies. Why would you do that to yourself. Why. They're terrible. Who enjoys this.

Honestly, other than Jar Jar and the extended pod-race scene, Phantom Menace was an outstanding movie. The story was epic, the characters great, and the writing was a lot stronger than the next two movies.

I really think that if there hadn't been such vocal complaints from the peanut gallery, Episodes 2 and 3 might have been a lot better movies. Episode 2 only served to kick-off the Clone Wars franchise, and Episode 3 was a poorly written, poorly conceived mess of fanservice.

Jedi had it's Ewoks and Menace had Jar Jar -- but I'd say that they were roughly comparable in quality. Not as good as 1 and 2, but not as bad as the rest. Compared to the new Indiana Jones, Phantom Menace is practically Casablanca....

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

quote:
I saw all three in the theater and enjoyed them. The prequels are pretty good. They don't really compare to the level of the original trilogy, but they are better than your average blockbuster film.

I don't think I'll pay to see any of them in 3-D though.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:
Honestly, other than Jar Jar and the extended pod-race scene, Phantom Menace was an outstanding movie. The story was epic, the characters great, ...

I'm going to have to strongly disagree on this point.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:

Because it's yet another major change from the original experience. Movie viewers will start thinking of these new movies when they think about Star Wars and they are a very different, if not watered down version of what make the original movies a complete pleasure to watch.

If Lucas absolutely must have more Star Wars then he should poor his energies into making things that make the universe better and more full, instead of trying to make Star Wars 3.0, "The movie I would have made if modern CGI had been available." Why not just go back and remake the space fights so that the ships are CGI instead of models? Or perhaps we could digitize the entire Hoth invasion as nobody can really see the people's faces, and it will look crisper and shinier!

If Lucas has had too much of a bad experience with the prequels to add to Star Wars with new movies then perhaps he should try a novel idea that is both terrifying in it's potential for failure and success, write something new.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
I'm actually okay with young Anakin ghost. He's a spirit. He should be able to take any physical form he wants.

Had Lucas used Jake Lloyd for that, he'd probably still be behind a barricade at Skywalker Ranch, trying to keep the fans from killing him.

quote:
Honestly, other than Jar Jar and the extended pod-race scene, Phantom Menace was an outstanding movie. The story was epic, the characters great, ...

*cough!* Midichlorians... *COUGH!!!*
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that what Star Wars The Clone Wars is? Something that ADDS to Star Wars?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't wait to see Jar Jar in 3-d.

I can't believe Lucas is doing this. He could use that money to produce the Star Wars TV series that he has been promising. This is a total let down.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Honestly, other than Jar Jar and the extended pod-race scene, Phantom Menace was an outstanding movie. The story was epic, the characters great, and the writing was a lot stronger than the next two movies.

I don't doubt that you watched the movie and enjoyed it- I watched it and enjoyed it, but I must say that on merits apart from visuals and nostalgia, it is not a strong movie in the regards that you have mentioned. I recommend this: ahem thorough review fora more indepth analysis of why this movie is not, in the grand scheme, good.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Isn't that what Star Wars The Clone Wars is? Something that ADDS to Star Wars?

Not when your still trying to tell stories about Anakin, Obi Wan Kenobi, and Yoda. The history in Star Wars is supposedly thousands of years long, and spans an entire galaxy. There's a lot you could do with it.

Just throwing an idea out there, perhaps talk about how the very first jedi and sith came to be.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Dislike 7. Luke saved Anakin at the end, and what you saw on Endor was the same actor but without all the voodoo makeup. That was the same guy, but without the taint of the dark side. Obi-Wan didn't come back with his torso half gone from where Vader slashed him to pieces, nor did he come back as his younger Ewan MacGregor form. It works perfectly as it was originally done.

Bumping that guy out for Hayden Christiansen was dumb, though I liked the continuity fix of putting the Emperor's face in instead of what was there originally in that one hologram scene.

I understand that was the point, and made sense when they originally made it because that actor was the only guy they had who would make sense to the audience. But the only form of force ghost that actually makes sense would be some kind of "residual self image," as Morpheus would put it. Obi-Wan looks like his old self because that's what Obi-Wan spent the last decade or two actually looking like, so its what he thinks of himself as.

Vader wouldn't imagine himself looking like some random old guy who never existed, he'd imagine himself looking the last way he was proud of himself looking.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

The story was muddled and confusing. People make decisions which make no sense unless you're just 'going along with it.' The characters were extremely poorly written and had little in the way of coherent defining characteristics. The writing was abysmal, and there's two primary examples of this.

1. The extreme contortions that the plot goes through to justify the pod race.

2. Everything else in the entire movie.

I'm resigned to the fact that people can totally enjoy this movie. But to say things like 'it had great characters' ..

it's a bad movie. it's really bad. See: Redlettermedia's necessary education on why this movie is bad.

Tresopax
Member # 1063

Well, you do kinda have to "go along with it". But, for instance, I would find the Harry Potter series to be just as confusing, with just as questionable decision-making by major characters, and with similar plot contortions (isn't there an easier way to make Harry touch a portkey?) if I approached it with a refusal to go along with that assumptions the author is expecting me to accept in order to enjoy the story.

The writing IS unusually bad in Phantom Menace... but the main reason the film isn't that great is because the story really just isn't that compelling. It just serves to introduce stuff we've already been introduced to in the original trilogy. All the prequels share that problem. The potential existed to add more depth to the original story and original characters, but mostly it just visually displays the events we already knew about or adds in details that really don't matter that much.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

by going along with it I mean you have to just have the capacity to shut your brain completely off or otherwise just miss the parts which break suspension of disbelief. Not a universally accessible trait, and if you don't have it, you're turned 100% off the story by the time you have child actor anakin saying 'now this is pod racing!' as he oh so whackily blows up the control ship from within by accident after he conveniently crawls into the cockpit of a ship set to autolaunch because cockpits of ships in bays where firefights are taking place are very safe apparently and this ship thankfully had a child-size flight helmet in it and whew the ship knew to carry R2 along or whatever and
shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
After having read some of the books that took place after RotJ, namely the Zahn trilogy, I was very disappointed with how Lucas expanded the Star Wars universe with the Prequels. I think I may have enjoyed the story lines of the Prequels better had I not discovered more interesting and compelling stories from the books already.

If these 3D movies are made, I may watch the Original Trilogy, but I really can't imagine myself wasting money on the Prequels.

And I do find it a little unfortunate that so many Star Wars fans no longer have the shared experience that seemed to exist before all of the new versions had been released.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Phantom Menace would have been a lot better if they had started the series off with Anakin older and already in training, maybe with some of the other wheels already turning. It suffered a lot from him being so young.

For the most part, I liked all three movies very much. The only parts that really made me roll my eyes were the majority of the one on one scenes between Anakin and Padme, but not even all of those were awful. I still like the original three better, but these are very much enjoyable.

Blayne -

You know, if we assume it takes 16 million to make one of them into 3D, that's really not a very high hurdle to win back in ticket sales, and the eventual 3D video sales to people with 3D tvs. This could easily put even more money into Lucas' construction budget, but really, money isn't the problem. Well, yeah, it IS the problem, but I should say that finding the money isn't. They have funding for a million dollar per episode effects budget, possibly more.

Lucas has always said that the hurdle for the series is that he needs to find a way to do $10 million in effects for $1 million, and that's turning out to be a harder process than he thought it would be. Soon as they figure out how to balance that, we'll see the series move forward at a faster pace.

Really though, I'm pretty meh on the whole endeavor. The best thing they could have done, I still maintain, would be to turn the X-Wing book series into a live-action show. It'd be the sweetest damn thing on television.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
by going along with it I mean you have to just have the capacity to shut your brain completely off or otherwise just miss the parts which break suspension of disbelief.

thiiiiiiiiis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdQwKPVGQsY&feature=related

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
We already had this conversation [Smile]

All you need to do to understand George Lucas and his attitude toward character development is to watch the prequels and count how many minutes of screen time are spent on ships arriving, ships leaving, and ships flying vs scenes of personal growth.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

My point wasn't that Phantom Menace was a great Star Wars movie, only that it was FAR superior to Episodes 2 and 3. How cringe-worthy was the "love" affair? What about the Darth Vader birth (NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!)?

Jedi was seriously flawed. The entire Ewok part of the story seemed tacked on for children. There was no character development. There were only two or three mind-blowing scenes. Phantom was also seriously flawed. Both movies cared more about selling toys than they did about anything else. But they were somewhat in parity compared to the crap-fest that came after.

I don't care what Kevin Smith said, Revenge of the Sith was terrible.....

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

AND I would love to see the movies in 3D.

It's like Lord of the Rings and the extended editions. If you loved the movies, you get a little bit of extra enjoyment in the re-release. If you think that 3D adds something to the movie (and I know I'm in the minority that does), than a rerelease in 3D might be worth the money -- if it is executed properly.

Hopefully they redo a bunch of the special effects, rather than translating them directly. If done right, it could be epic.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:

But Greedo already has his gun drawn and pointed. Having Han shoot first makes Greedo just look retarded. I dont think he would care about the bounty that much. And frankly, if someone already has you lined up and you draw, your shooting no matter who you are.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Han shot him under the table.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:

What, are you new to the internet? Things don't work that logically here. [Razz]

quote:
I enjoy the prequels, faults and all. They're still Star Wars to me. They're a part of a universe that I have loved since I was a child.

quote:
Because it's yet another major change from the original experience. Movie viewers will start thinking of these new movies when they think about Star Wars and they are a very different, if not watered down version of what make the original movies a complete pleasure to watch.
All the changes are superficial. The story, the characters, and everything that actually matters are still the same. Your original experience doesn't have to be the same as everyone's.

quote:
If Lucas absolutely must have more Star Wars then he should poor his energies into making things that make the universe better and more full, instead of trying to make Star Wars 3.0,
He leaves that to other people. As I'm sure you know, there are plenty of novels, comics, video games, and short stories in the Expanded Universe. Lucas has minimal involvement in them, but it's debatable whether or not that's a bad thing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.