FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Song - Any Thoughts?

Author Topic: New Song - Any Thoughts?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the comments on the last piece I posted a bit back were quite helpful.

So thanks! Here's a more recent piece I made; am curious what ya'll think:

It's Game On

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Sorry. Not such a huge fan. Maybe I'm traditional but I like it when a song has a discernible melody, maybe a verse and a chorus?

I also prefer singing to talking or sing-talking...

And auto-tune is a useful tool to clean up a soloist, it shouldn't be that you hear more auto than tune...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is really cool that you are learning the technology to make this and wish you luck in expanding your skill. I do like sing talking, but overall I thought this was very unpleasant to my ears. I couldn't finish it, but I did skip to the end and hear that part. And one of the pics was nice...I like Chinese characters. [Razz]

Maybe I am more of a melody fan then I thought.

I don't intend my honesty to be discouraging or mean. I just think you haven't hit your grove yet.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it's really not good. It's uncomfortable and embarrassing to listen to. Particularly the vocal processing is... creepy? It's also virtually the same arrangement as the last song you posted, but marginally worse.

Here's what I would suggest, if you want to produce music like this (which I don't submit is such a good idea overall): produce a track without any lyrics or vocal parts at all. Understand the form of the thing you are trying to create- you are not trying to create musical accompaniment to rap stylings (or whatever this is), you are trying to write a song. So create 4 stems, one with percussion, one with bass, one with synthesizer, and one with guitar or some other instrument. Create a structure of chorus, verse, chorus verse, bridge, chorus. Do that about 10 times, until you get something that really works. Then *think* about singing to it. Think about it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, its about one step shy as perfect for being the theme song or part of the OST of a good horror anime.

I've also been listening to alot of vocaloid recently so this is pretty close.

If it were in a foreign language would be the only way to me to make it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JGaQ3g8WU4

example.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Is all the others song in the right list there also yours?
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like a white guy trying to rap - the stereotypical SNL skit white guy using comical choices of phrasing with sort of a jilted/stuttering cadence which suggests that he's making up the words as he's going along, trying really hard to rhyme and making everything else aesthetic secondary.

Like lem, I think it's cool that you're pursuing your interests in this and it doesn't really matter what we think of it if you're having a good time, but I don't see that you've done anything different with this piece compared to your last one. Whatever advice you attempted to take to heart, it's not clear how it influenced you.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

It'ld work great as an anime OST song.

Another epic example:

Like honestly what does 'Microphone phenotype' mean?

ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
The beat doesn't appear to have any connection to the singing, at least to my ears. It sounds like it's wandered in from some other track.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.