FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wooo! Awesome strawman Randian debate! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wooo! Awesome strawman Randian debate!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiH_XnqnyHU

Aside from the fact that the Constitution actually isn't silent on secession and gets many other constitutional facts wrong and more or less completely strawman's lincolns position and 'word-putting-in-mouth' disease as well.

More reasons why you should never vote for a Randian.

Also I must point out that the ACW didn't actually really have a cost to it for the US, the ACW pretty much cemented the America as a enevitable superpower and was a period of phenominal economic growth and stimulus as well ass a huge beacon for immigration at the time, in just about everyway the US benefited from it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess what, if you dilute the word "slavery" until it has absolutely no meaning, we're all slaves!!!! That's right we are all slaves!!! At the whim of our masters, out children and love ones can be sold away from us forever. At the whim of our masters, we can be beaten, raped, mutilated, starved and even killed. It's illegal for us to walk even a few miles from our places of residence, to own any property or even to profit in any way from our own labor. Every modicum of work I do, belongs 100% to the master who tortures me. We are forbidden to gather, to even speak about how we are oppressed. If we do, that takes us back to beating, raping, starving . . . . If I try to escape, the law will hunt me down and bring me back to this retched nation to which I am enslaved!!

Why have I never noticed this???? How could I have been so blind??? Thank you Ron Paul for awakening me to my awful state.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a "Randian"? And where exactly does it say anything about secession in the Constitution? Other than the 10th amendment, I mean.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
Randians are Ayn Rand fanboys.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

But that site is an Objectivist site. Not a Randian one.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I see you've started another thread, Blayne. How long until you delete this one?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Aside from the fact that the Constitution actually isn't silent on secession

Yo, Blayne, I really would like you to back this up. I mean, maybe they don't have proper copies of the US Constitution up in the northern provinces, but if you say something, you really should either substantiate it or retract it. That's simple honesty.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Specifically the Northwest Ordinance and I quote

"Art. 4. The said territory, and the States which may be formed therein, shall forever remain a part of this Confederacy of the United States of America, subject to the Articles of Confederation, and to such alterations therein as shall be constitutionally made; and to all the acts and ordinances of the United States in Congress assembled, conformable thereto."

Also according to the Supreme Court

"Alabama is, therefore, entitled to the sovereignty and jurisdiction over all the territory within her limits ... to maintain any other doctrine, is to deny that Alabama has been admitted into the union on an equal footing with the original states ... to Alabama belong the navigable waters and soils under them."

Meaning that the original states, being on equal footing, are also not allowed to secede according to the NW Ordinance.

So maybe not specifically the Constitution but to saw that the NW Ordinance is not just about on the same level of importance or not ratified by the constitution would be ignorance.

Or this:

"The Union of the States never was a purely artificial and arbitrary relation. It began among the Colonies, and grew out of common origin, mutual sympathies, kindred principles, similar interests, and geographical relations. It was confirmed and strengthened by the necessities of war, and received definite form and character and sanction from the Articles of Confederation. By these, the Union was solemnly declared to "be perpetual." And when these Articles were found to be inadequate to the exigencies of the country, the Constitution was ordained "to form a more perfect Union." It is difficult to convey the idea of indissoluble unity more clearly than by these words. What can be indissoluble if a perpetual Union, made more perfect, is not?"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Specifically the Northwest Ordinance and I quote

"Art. 4. The said territory, and the States which may be formed therein, shall forever remain a part of this Confederacy of the United States of America, subject to the Articles of Confederation, and to such alterations therein as shall be constitutionally made; and to all the acts and ordinances of the United States in Congress assembled, conformable thereto."

Also according to the Supreme Court

"Alabama is, therefore, entitled to the sovereignty and jurisdiction over all the territory within her limits ... to maintain any other doctrine, is to deny that Alabama has been admitted into the union on an equal footing with the original states ... to Alabama belong the navigable waters and soils under them."

Meaning that the original states, being on equal footing, are also not allowed to secede according to the NW Ordinance.

So maybe not specifically the Constitution but to saw that the NW Ordinance is not just about on the same level of importance or not ratified by the constitution would be ignorance.

Or this:

"The Union of the States never was a purely artificial and arbitrary relation. It began among the Colonies, and grew out of common origin, mutual sympathies, kindred principles, similar interests, and geographical relations. It was confirmed and strengthened by the necessities of war, and received definite form and character and sanction from the Articles of Confederation. By these, the Union was solemnly declared to "be perpetual." And when these Articles were found to be inadequate to the exigencies of the country, the Constitution was ordained "to form a more perfect Union." It is difficult to convey the idea of indissoluble unity more clearly than by these words. What can be indissoluble if a perpetual Union, made more perfect, is not?"

Dude, you said the Constitution speaks about secession. Not the Northwest Ordinance, not the Declaration of Independance, and not the Magna Carta. Either show where it does, or have the grace to acknowledge that you were mistaken.

And no, the Northwest Ordinance is absolutely not on a level with the Constitution. Not even slightly.

And your quote beginning with "The Union of the States" lacks any indication of who said it. It's simply a bald claim, with nothing to substantiate it. "Perpetual union" doesn't appear in the Constitution. The idea of the Union was a Union of sovereign states. Just because we've all become accustomed to thinking of "states" as the equivalent of administrative districts doesn't change the fact that what they really are, are nations. The US was supposed to be a union of sovereign nations, where the purpose of the federal government was to present a united foreign policy, and to prevent conflict between the several states which comprised it.

"The United States" was plural; not singular. "The United States were at war with Great Britain"; not "the United States was at war with Great Britain".

And "more perfect union" means that the union was to be made better; not made into a prison.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

So maybe not specifically the Constitution...

Dude, you said the Constitution speaks about secession... Either show where it does, or have the grace to acknowledge that you were mistaken.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And "more perfect union" means that the union was to be made better; not made into a prison.
Since when is the US a prison? People can leave anytime they want. In fact, I'm living outside the US right now, as I type. There is nothing preventing you or any US citizen from leaving. I've been in and out of the US dozens of times. So have you, unless you're lying about having lived in Israel.

It's rather silly to anthropomorphize states. States aren't people, they are political units. States have been granted certain rights by the constitution, but they don't and couldn't have natural or unalienable rights because they aren't "real" in the same way that people are real. States are total artificial man made creations. They only exist because people recognize their existence. They are what we collectively define them to be, no more, no less.

If the US is a prison because states can't secede, then states are prisons because counties can't secede, counties are prisons because cities and towns can't secede, and all cities and towns are prisons because the individuals in them can't secede.

[ December 02, 2010, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
not ratified by the constitution
The constitution does not ratify. In any way.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

www.aynrand.org

quote:
Welcome to the Ayn Rand Institute, the online source for information on the life and works of novelist-philosopher Ayn Rand

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
I seem to remember that there were certain treaties made under the Articles of Confederation which were grandfathered in (i.e ratified) by the Constitution. But this is at any rate irrelevant to the discussion at hand since the Northwest Ordinance was not "ratified" by the constitution. It was however passed again by the US congress 5 months after the ratification of the constitution, so it is reasonable to presume that the statements in it reflect of attitudes that were wide spread at the time the constitution was ratified.

I am certainly no constitutional scholar, but what I do know contradicts any claims that the founding fathers had a unified vision of the federal government or that they had produced a perfect document which should be followed to the letter for centuries. Many issues, among them the question of secession, are never mentioned (or left deliberately vague) in the constitution because they were too controversial. Making any explicit statement, one way or the other, about secession would almost certainly have made it unratifiable. As such, it's pointless to claim that the constitution either "allowed" or "disallowed" secession. It intentional left the subject open for debate.

Those people who claim otherwise are either haven't adequately studied the issue and are thus parroting claims made by others which suit their predisposition or they are deliberately distorting the truth to advance an agenda. I'm confident that nearly all T-partiers, states rates advocates, pro-confederacy whack jobs, and people involved in this thread fall into the first category but I'm pretty sure that a few, Rand Paul included, fall into the second.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Of course it did. Here's the relevant section of Article 6:
quote:
All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:

That's kind of like saying "OSC's an LDS writer, not a Mormon one.

You know what Randian means. You've seen it used here before and made the same comment. You don't like the term because it has derogatory connotations. It certainly does to a certain group of people but that group of people would find your Philosophy (and that of Ayn Rand) to stink by any name.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
quote:
Of course it did. Here's the relevant section of Article 6:
quote:
All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

That statement accepts obligations that were incurred by the previous government. It isn't relevant in this case.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'm not talking about Blayne's obviously incorrect statement. I'm talking about kat's obviously incorrect one.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
quote:

aynrand[/b].org]www.aynrand.org

quote:
Welcome to the Ayn Rand Institute, the online source for information on the life and works of novelist-philosopher Ayn Rand

What's your point? Hatrack isn't a Cardian site.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping for a Randi-an debate.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Rand was intolerable for the longest time. Cleansing the taint did him good.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat me to it, mph.

Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

You know what Randian means. You've seen it used here before and made the same comment. You don't like the term because it has derogatory connotations.

Yup.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
What's your point? Hatrack isn't a Cardian site.

Why not? It seems like it would reasonably accurate descriptor. It's not a term I've heard used, but I can't see why it shouldn't be.

Side Note: My husband refers to is it as a "Card-assian" site". He thinks it's funny. I humor him because he makes my toes curl.

[ December 02, 2010, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I humor him because he makes my toes curl.

Aw. That's sweet.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
You don't like the term because it has derogatory connotations.

And... you find that problematic? I bet that if I was calling Muslims "Mohammedans" and a Muslim were to complain, you wouldn't dismiss it the same way. Yet it's exactly the same thing. A deliberate slur, intended to irk. And I'm the one with the problem for actually being irked?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
And... you find that problematic? I bet that if I was calling Muslims "Mohammedans" and a Muslim were to complain, you wouldn't dismiss it the same way. Yet it's exactly the same thing. A deliberate slur, intended to irk. And I'm the one with the problem for actually being irked?
Meh, I find the comparison to be absurd.

Political philosophies don't merit the kind of respect/tolerance as major religions.

You have no problem calling people you disagree with "statists" and other clearly derogatory terms. Why exactly do you think you deserve more respect from those you disagree with than you are willing to give?

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Political philosophies don't merit the kind of respect/tolerance as major religions.

Heh, "major" religions.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

You know, I find Objectivism a juvenile philosophy and I've never met someone that believed in it who I could respect, but calling it Randian is pretty clearly a deliberate and inaccurate slur. To me, this is not a worthy thing to do.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:

Heh, "major" religions.
In my opinion, "major" religions deserve a different level of tolerance because they are, for the most part, inseparable from ethnic and cultural heritage. Attacks on major religious groups are forms of ethnic / racial hatred. When was the last time you heard a Muslim slur that was founded on a reasoned argument against the Koran? I haven't, ever.

Political philosophies (whether they are motivated by Ayn Rand, Oral Roberts or the Ayatollah Homenii), aren't culture. For the most part, they are things we consciously choose as adults independent of our cultural heritage and then try to force on other people. Tea-Baggers, Randians, and Islamofacists all fall into that category and I don't see any reason to give them even a modicum of respect. They are all trying to use governments to force their philosophy on me, and I will fight back.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Tea-Baggers
Come, now. There's no need to stoop to that.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Tea-Baggers
Come, now. There's no need to stoop to that.
Why? Explain why I should show respect to a political movement I consider to be morally bankrupt?
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
For the same reason calling left leaning people "Libtards" and "Dumbasscrats" is not needed. Agree or not, you can still use a little restraint.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

How about you show us respect by refraining from using sexual slurs to describe others?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I'm sorry, but where did I use a sexual slur?
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
... In my opinion, "major" religions deserve a different level of tolerance because they are, for the most part, inseparable from ethnic and cultural heritage. Attacks on major religious groups are forms of ethnic / racial hatred.

If the line is ethnic/racial, then perhaps that is a better place to draw the line than major vs. minor. I don't see the goal in drawing the line to exclude any number of small folk religions that exist among minority groups in China for example when they too have significant cultural/racial aspects.

Not that I personally draw a line, period. (Although I kinda see the appeal in a line that allows me to tolerate Mormons less than other religions [Wink] )

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

When you called them "tea-baggers".

Google it.

Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
I'm sorry, but where did I use a sexual slur?

Rabbit...The word "Tea Bagger" is a very sexual slur.

I'm sure Urban Dictionary has a page about it if you would like to google it.

Edit: MPH beat me to it. [Smile]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
You know, I find Objectivism a juvenile philosophy and I've never met someone that believed in it who I could respect, but calling it Randian is pretty clearly a deliberate and inaccurate slur. To me, this is not a worthy thing to do.

No. Randian objectivism is a very real term and you can find plenty of people who self-identify by that exact terminology. It is also used frequently as a neutral term to describe most objectivism, in effect the type which is heavily focused on the personality cult/teachings of Ayn Rand.

If you want a deliberate slur, try 'randroid.'

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The idea of the Union was a Union of sovereign states. Just because we've all become accustomed to thinking of "states" as the equivalent of administrative districts doesn't change the fact that what they really are, are nations. The US was supposed to be a union of sovereign nations

Point of order: You are using 'nation' as an explanatory synonym for 'state', and thus screwing up an already confused situation even more. A nation is a set of people who recognise themselves as having a common ethnic identity; thus Norwegians are a nation, Poles are a nation, Russians are a nation but citizens of the USSR were not a nation, and Americans are not a nation. A state is a sovereign governing organisation; Norway, Poland, the USSR and now the Russian federation, and the US are all states. A nation-state is a state whose citizens are all (or most) of the same nationality, and comprise a large majority of the world's supply of that nationality. Norway and Poland are nation-states, the Russian Federation is arguably one but the USSR wasn't, and the US is not a nation-state.

A union of sovereign states is a contradiction in terms; either they are sovereign or not. If they have a unified foreign policy they are no longer sovereign, having handed over that part of their autonomy to the federal organisation. I note in passing that even the original constitution, unamended, reserves to Congress and not the states the powers of declaring war, making treaties, and issuing letters of mark and reprisal; these are all functions of sovereigns, and entities that don't have them are not properly considered states.

Now, if you want to argue that the original constitution was intended to give the states a much higher degree of internal autonomy than they actually have, that's perfectly reasonable. But that does not make them sovereign states, any more than the Grand Duchy of Finland was a sovereign state under the Czars.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
For the same reason calling left leaning people "Libtards" and "Dumbasscrats" is not needed. Agree or not, you can still use a little restraint.

I guess I see a difference because, unlike "Libtads" and "Dumbasscrats", "Tea-bagger" isn't intrinsically insulting. In fact, I can imagine scenarios where the Tea Party might have chosen that name themselves. It's only offensive because members of the Tea party have come to associate it's use with people who disagree are making fun of their movement.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Please refrain from using sexual slurs as labels for people you disagree with.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Tea-bagger" isn't intrinsically insulting.

Yes, it actually is.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I'm missing something: but why is 'Randian' a pejorative, but not 'Kantian' or 'Humean'?
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... Yes, tea-baggers is indeed intrinsically insulting. The entire point, which you have missed, is that the term is a kind of sexual position, and was used to refer to tea-partiers specifically because of that. The reason the term exists is the sexual innuendo, and the mental image it us intended to give. It's actually incredibly crass.

Also, a suggestion: how about we all make the distinction between disagreeing an ideology and religion, and actively insulting them? Name-calling doesn't help anyone, and if one really has legitimate concerns or criticism of a religious or philosophical position, couching them in derogatory or insulting language only has the effect of giving an excuse to dismiss valid criticism. At the same time, this is a two way street. A person shouldn't take offense just because someone DOES disagree with their position of choice. We should be civil about all this. Isn't that the whole idea of what discourse should be like?

As an example: if someone said to me that Christianity was right, and I am a fool and a servant of Satan and an enemy of America for disagreeing, then that's a problem. Calling me some slur would be a problem. Saying, on the other hand, that they feel the Bible is true, that the world is so perfect for life and so beautiful that some being must have created it, and the salvation Christ gives is something worth having, and something real, because they feel the evidence shows he rose from the dead, that's fine. There'sxno insult implicit, even if i disagree. And, right or wrong, discussing the differences of opinion can be worthwhile.

In real life, of course, disagreements easily turn into fights. That's just how we are. But we don't have to exacerbate the situation by being inflammatory or rude. Saying someone is wrong isn't rude. Saying they're a tea-bagger, a God-hater, or a blind religious sheep, however, is.

Let's all work harder to not do that. That's my only request, here.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The entire point, which you have missed, is that the term is a kind of sexual position, and was used to refer to tea-partiers specifically because of that.
Well, to be fair, the first "Tea Partiers" I ever met -- my mother included -- actually referred to themselves as "tea baggers" until someone explained the innuendo (or at least that there was innuendo to be perceived.) If I formed a pro-Atkins Diet group called (in all innocence) the Salad Tossers, with a motto that said "Toss Your Salad" and a gimmick that asked members to bring small side salads (for throwing) to meetings, people might be forgiven if, even two or three years later, even after I have done my best to ensure that everyone involved now calls themselves "Salad Throwers," vegetarians still call us "Salad Tossers" with a smirk.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
... the term is a kind of sexual position, and was used to refer to tea-partiers specifically because of that. The reason the term exists is the sexual innuendo, and the mental image it us intended to give.

No, its not.

The term is a sexual practice. Objectively, it was used specifically by tea-partiers to refer to themselves but was largely dropped after others noticed the double meaning and started using it too.

In fact, there are conservatives right now who use the term right now regardless of the sexual meaning and with full knowledge of it.

Edit to add: Current as of April 2010 anyways http://biggovernment.com/abreitbart/2010/04/14/im-proud-to-be-a-tea-bagger/

Geraine
Member # 9913

Mucus,

Whether you refer to it as a sexual practice or position, it still carries a sexual meaning.

I think most people would find it offensive regardless if someone was calling themselves by the name. It doesn't make it ok.

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, and in addition I'd like people to stop making fun of Mormons by calling them missionaries, it's childish, and I'm sure they don't just restrict themselves to that position.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Alright, I'm stupid. I just ran this passed by husband and realized that Randian sounds like a sexual slur. Sorry, it never occurred to me. It seems that a good half the words in the English language have a sexual connotation. Gzeezz. Please don't tell me there is a sexual connotation to Teabag or I will have to revert to communicating only in German.

How about "Randite" or Aynian? Do those seem sexual?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.