FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wooo! Awesome strawman Randian debate! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wooo! Awesome strawman Randian debate!
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to never call anyone here a Randian, provided that I am never called a statist.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I would consider being called a statist a complement really, it just about sums up my positions.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PMH
Member # 12495

- posted      Profile for PMH   Email PMH         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I'm with Lisa in that "Randian" - as a noun(*) - tends to connote a possibly sheepish follower of the person, as well as someone who's only gotten to the libertarian level of philosophical understanding.
(*: I don't get similar connotations from its use as an adjective - eg: the Randian argument... -- especially given that "objectivist/m" is an older philosophical term)
(which could be confused with Objectivist/m as a referent)

For those who take philosophy - especially Objectivism - seriously, "Objectivist/m" is by far the better term; it is (trademark(?)ed as) the philosophy of Ayn Rand.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*
It is almost impossible to take philosophy seriously and take Objectivism seriously at the same time.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. If you take philosophy seriously, you have to take into account the times Objectivism was brought up for philosophical review.

Objectivists refuse to do so, largely, because they want to consider objectivism to be philosophically/metaphysically valid.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.