FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I caved and bought a Kindle... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I caved and bought a Kindle...
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a Velocity Micro Cruz ereader.. They were at $200, but Borders has them on sale for $110 now. I just got it so I'm still trying it out, but so far so good.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So my wife has been wondering if it would be good to get me an e-reader, as I read lots and lots of books, and with comp exams coming up my reading load will be at least doubling. However, as a history grad student it is rare for me to sit and read every word in a book. Rather, I flip through for the relevant parts, gutting the book. How does the Kindle handle that?
Also, from what I understand from this thread, there are no page numbers on a Kindle ebook? That's an absolute dealbreaker right there. And how does the Kindle handle footnotes?

The thought of having all of my comps books in one place, ready for me to read and access at my leisure, is exciting. But if it is going to be more trouble than its worth, I'll stick with buying a new bookshelf.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I will say, before getting a Kindle, you'll really want to check first whether or not the books you want are presently available for the Kindle.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - because I am in grad school, and very few of the history books I want are on Kindle. Academic books don't seem to making it there.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the idea of an e-reader, but I think I've found a grand total of one textbook available in electronic format.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Academic books don't seem to making it there.

It varies by field. At least anecdotally, many business textbooks are. Psychology as well, I hear.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Academic books don't seem to making it there.
That's what pdf sites like gigapedia are for...
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine illegal copies are the primary reason for the lack of academic books. They are a huge source of income for colleges. You can crack the copy protecion on Kindle books extremely easy and give that $100 text book to the entire campus in under 5 minutes.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need textbooks. I need academic history books. Think Robinson and Gallagher's Africa and the Victorians or Interpreting the French Revolution by Francois Furet. Both of those are incredibly important books in my fields, and neither are on Kindle [Frown] . Of course, I have both of those books, but they were my test to see what the selection was like. If Furet didn't make it, I doubt Broers, or Brown, or even Chartier will make it.

Though it looks like Robert Darnton's The Great Cat Massacre is on Kindle... perhaps there is hope yet?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Strangelove, from what I understand, there is already a special format for footnotes on a Kindle that is accepted. It is a little different than how the3y are usually done but it works.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
In my last semester of business school (graduate-level), three textbooks have been available in Kindle format.

The good? It can read to me on my commute.

The bad? Even at the reduced price, it costs nearly double the price of a used textbook (in the classes that have textbooks old enough for a cost savings).

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
How about reading a book in bed, and then have the Audible version pick up where you left off in the car on the way to work rather then the text to speech it uses?

The future is here.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out FreeTime, too. That answers a couple prayers for me.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Now, how do I convince the wife that the $79 Kindle from last year isn't good enough any more?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The new backlit Kindle coming out next month with the better display looks pretty snazzy.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Whispersync for voice is amazing. The price is not to bad either. Among Others By Jo Walton cost me a total of $14 for both the Kindle and Audible versions.

The real deal is for a book like The Passage by Justin Cronin. I was wanting to get it on Audible, but they wanted two credits. With this new package deal, it ended up costing $15, about the price of 1 credit on Audible Gold.

So far it is working the way it should to.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to listen to audio books in other languages (Spanish and French, mostly) and read the text at the same time - it helps me remember how the pronunciation should sound.

Can you listen and read at the same time with this feature, or is it more that you do one or the other?

(I so want one of the pretty new Fires for Christmas - probably a present from me to me, but hey. Although the backlit one looks great, but it's not even available in Europe yet.)

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Listening at the same time is one of the new features, yes.

"Now add professional narration to your Kindle book and watch it come alive with real-time highlighting on Kindle Fire."

I don't know what the non-English support is like at this point, though.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
Listening at the same time is one of the new features, yes.

"Now add professional narration to your Kindle book and watch it come alive with real-time highlighting on Kindle Fire."

I don't know what the non-English support is like at this point, though.

A good reason though for reading intervention programs in schools to go with the fire over the IPads our public schools love so much.
JoeAlvord
Member # 12665

- posted      Profile for JoeAlvord           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm off on a backpacking trip for ten days. I love that my cheap e-ink kindle will have enough battery to last that long, even with heavy usage. I just loaded a half dozen books for the trip. I am sure glad not to carry real books.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
lol.. I started off reading this thread without realizing how old it was.

The whole time I'm sitting here thinking, "But, my Kindle Ap has page numbers..."

I'm still temped to buy a real Kindle though. It's good to hear someone likes the new Kindle/Audible technology.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.