FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My proof that Magic doesn't exist.

Author Topic: My proof that Magic doesn't exist.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Per a conversation I had Sunday night:

Magician, "You see, Magic is real, but people don't notice it. People can not see what their brains do not expect to see."

Darth, "Oh that's wrong. We have paintings and drawings of the Spanish Inquisition. People saw the Spanish Inquisition, but you know--Nobody ever Expects the Spanish Inquisition."

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Flawless victory.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- expects the Spanish Inquisition
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why you will never see it. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Your logic is unassailable.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I was asked by one of my students if I believe in witchcraft.

When asked about God, or my politics, I always say I will discuss the issues and belief systems, just not my own personal take on the matters.

But when asked about witchcraft I just had to honestly say no, with the simple reason that if it was real it would be all around us and used constantly. It turns out another teacher was discussing it with her students and he was curious what I thought. Now I am wondering if she is a Wiccan, or if the students brought up the subject.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Magician, "You see, Magic is real, but people don't notice it. People can not see what their brains do not expect to see."
Another name for Magic is 'sleight of hand'.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The vast majority of magic is either sleight of hand or overactive imaginations.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:

Sounds alot like a conversation between Timothy Hunter and John Constantine in The Books of Magic. Was that magician's name Niel Gaiman?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
The vast majority of magic is either sleight of hand or overactive imaginations.

Sleight of hand is overwhelmingly cool though and inherently relaxing for me to watch.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
The "Magician" I quoted was...a Magician. We were having our company holiday party and our company is loaded with sleight of hand experts, jugglers, performers, and Magicians.

To name one--Me.

And no, I won't pull a rabbit from my hat. When my hat is in my hand you can look in side. There is no rabbit, no bunny, no hare. When I put the hat on my head, there is still no rabbit, no bunny, and no....no hair. (sniff, sniff)

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic, in the "witchcraft" sense, usually refers to a certain sensibility and the kinds of changes that occur in the heart - in other words, a religious/psychological transformative process. I've heard it described as "prayer with props". It's actually little different from prayer and believing that God intervenes in one's life. It's just a different format than mainstream religion.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.