FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » X-Men: First Class trailer

Author Topic: X-Men: First Class trailer
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
http://io9.com/#!5757413/smouldering-first-trailer-for-x+men-first-class-tells-the-real-story-of-the-cuban-missile-crisis
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I love these two comments:

quote:
Also, why are they flying the SR71? That plane doesn't have bomb bay doors. It has no carrying capacity - it is a pure reconnaissance vehicle. It fits a pilot and a navigator in a tiny cockpit - that's it.
quote:
Yeah and how is that guy lifting a sub out of the water. Sorry, I just enjoy how your suspension of disbelief ends at the inaccuracy of the SR-71. Like you were on board till that happened.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Those amused me but, I think they have a point about the ages. How is Xavier in his like mid-30s and the others are only a little younger? Prof. X is in his like 50s or 60s in the modern day iterations, when our commonly known X-Men are generally in their 30s. In other words, there's a rather large time gap there.

Having said that, I love that they're adapting the X-Men universe to a real historical event rather than some tired doomsday machine. The authenticity of picking a real-life doomsday machine is far more satisfying.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the age problem is the trade-off when you cast a good actor who looks like the Xavier we know but is young himself, that character must carry the brunt of this story seeing as Magneto will turn and we will be left with Charles as the sole protaginist.

I just question why Beast would be the pilot and Xavier would be on the two man strike team, his power should have already been strong enough to work over a distance so trying to keep up with Magneto would be pointless and Beast is wasted sitting in a chair.

Has there been many instances of actually placing an age on Prof. X? He was always ageless and seemed to be older than he might be due to baldness and dissability.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks lackluster to me.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just question why Beast would be the pilot and Xavier would be on the two man strike team, his power should have already been strong enough to work over a distance so trying to keep up with Magneto would be pointless and Beast is wasted sitting in a chair.
It looks to me that Beast gets his transformation into blue and hairy in the movie. Maybe before that he was the one who learned how to fly the jet?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Beast had nothing to do with Prof. X and the others until he was a mutant, in fact he was artificially mutated in the course of trying to cure the mutant gene (as a kindness rather than the later more malicious attempts.) Which is why Beast was the best choice to be the mutant representitive for the government seeing as he was a respected human beforehand and would be less biased.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Beast had nothing to do with Prof. X and the others until he was a mutant, in fact he was artificially mutated in the course of trying to cure the mutant gene (as a kindness rather than the later more malicious attempts.) Which is why Beast was the best choice to be the mutant representitive for the government seeing as he was a respected human beforehand and would be less biased.

I know that. But when he was transformed from monkey-like and human looking to monkey/cat-like and hairy looking, his powers also increased. Or at least that's how I remember it.

And if you have a house full of mutants, somebody has to learn to fly the jet. Why not him?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Beast had nothing to do with Prof. X and the others until he was a mutant
Isn't that pretty much the case with all of the X-men?

Beast was an X-man before getting blue and hairy, BTW. He was featured in issue #1; the only difference between Beast and a regular human was oversized limbs, feet, and hands.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if you have a house full of mutants, somebody has to learn to fly the jet.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a house full of mutants must be in want of a jet pilot.

I don't know about this. This trailer suggests that they're keeping the same reality all the way through the movies, and I really don't feel like I can believe that Halle Berry and James Marsden etc. were supposed to have been young adults in the 60s, unless the first two films were supposed to have been happening in the 70s or 80s instead of the 2000s.
But hey. Mutants just age well, obviously.

And then the last two or so films in this franchise were so horrible that anything would be an improvement - at least the concept looks interesting and the costuming should be fun.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Marvel has always operated with a sliding timescale, so I guess I've gotten used to suspending my disbelief in this aspect of the continuity.

[ February 11, 2011, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

X2 wasn't terrible. I rather enjoyed it. X3 was an abomination.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
And if you have a house full of mutants, somebody has to learn to fly the jet. Why not him?
He is a scientist, lobbyist and a superstrong acrobat the guy should have something better to do. Let Cyclops drive, its not like it would get in the way of his overall potential, maybe Dazzler or Jubilee i.e. people whose only use thier power in certain circumstances.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
X2 wasn't terrible. I rather enjoyed it. X3 was an abomination.
I liked X2 as well. X3 - least said the better. I was counting Wolverine as the other one which was... not great.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, X3 was terribad. When I heard X-3 was going to have Phoenix I was thinking to myself how awesome it would be to have Dark Phoenix going around destroying entire planets until the X-Men could stop her.

Instead we got a horrible movie that essentially gave us no storyline. It seems like the writers said to themselves "I'm tired of these X-Men movies. Let's just kill off three of the main characters and call it a day."

Wolverine wasn't that great of a movie, but the opening action sequence was pretty awesome, especially with Ryan Reynolds.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved X1 and X2, though both had some flaws.

X3 was pretty "meh", which was very disappointing with the anticipation I had for it and saw it in theaters.

Wolverine was just plain crap, and even on TV I could barely sit through it.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let Cyclops drive, its not like it would get in the way of his overall potential, maybe Dazzler or Jubilee i.e. people whose only use thier power in certain circumstances.

Jubilee and Dazzler as jet pilots?!? They're not that desperate! [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
Yeah, X3 was terribad. When I heard X-3 was going to have Phoenix I was thinking to myself how awesome it would be to have Dark Phoenix going around destroying entire planets until the X-Men could stop her.

To be fair, I think you totally misjudged the scope and scale of the films if you thought that was at all likely.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I'm concerned, the X-men franchise consists of X1, X2, and X-men: Hugh Jackman Takes off His Shirt. There is no movie between the second and third of those.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

From a nerdsite

quote:
Singer cites the character of Havok (played by Lucas Till) as an example. Although in the comics Havok (real name Alex Summers) is the brother of Scott Summers, aka Cyclops, that relationship does not exist in the movie, which is set in the '60s.

So... Alex Summers whose power is the same as Scott Summers just with his hands as the conduit is not connected to Scott Summers in this? Why not, and you may as well make Juggernaut a natural mutant and give Gambit a Boston accent.

But Rogue having killed people and left with some permanent a-list powers? cant have that, keep her teenage and emo instead.

[ February 11, 2011, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
quote:

To be fair, I think you totally misjudged the scope and scale of the films if you thought that was at all likely.
Look, I know it was probably too much to expect the movie to show Dark Phoenix literally committing xenocide throughout the galaxy before coming back to earth. But they didn't even mention it. All I wanted was maybe a 30 second "This is what happened" scene showing her blowing up planets, and then her showing up on Earth.

Instead we got an emo amnesiac Phoenix that basically acts like a zombie throughout the film. It wasn't Famke Janssen's fault, she did the best with what the writers gave her.

The film just felt like a cop-out aimed at getting fans in seats than creating a quality plot. A lot of fans probably went in expecting Phoenix to be completely awesome, and it didn't happen. One saving grace of the film though: Ellen Page

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
James McAvoy is in it. [Party]
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
quote:

Look, I know it was probably too much to expect the movie to show Dark Phoenix literally committing xenocide throughout the galaxy before coming back to earth. But they didn't even mention it. All I wanted was maybe a 30 second "This is what happened" scene showing her blowing up planets, and then her showing up on Earth.

Instead we got an emo amnesiac Phoenix that basically acts like a zombie throughout the film. It wasn't Famke Janssen's fault, she did the best with what the writers gave her.

The film just felt like a cop-out aimed at getting fans in seats than creating a quality plot. A lot of fans probably went in expecting Phoenix to be completely awesome, and it didn't happen. One saving grace of the film though: Ellen Page

My point is that the x-men films, like many superhero movies of this day and age, take a more down-to-earth and realistic approach to the material. The more outlandish comic book staples are avoided.

Phoenix as a repressed personality with full access to Jean's awesome powers fits today's comic film landscape a lot better than Phoenix as a planet destroying cosmic entity. I would have thought that was obvious even if you don't agree with that mentality.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ambyr:
As far as I'm concerned, the X-men franchise consists of X1, X2, and X-men: Hugh Jackman Takes off His Shirt. There is no movie between the second and third of those.

Wasn't there one other in there? I keep trying to recall, and getting flashes of something abominable and repressed before I wake up on the ground, covered in tears.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This trailer suggests that they're keeping the same reality all the way through the movies, and I really don't feel like I can believe that Halle Berry and James Marsden etc. were supposed to have been young adults in the 60s, unless the first two films were supposed to have been happening in the 70s or 80s instead of the 2000s.
But Halle Berry and James Marsden's characters aren't in this movie. Why does the age of their characters matter?

Also, Alex Summers does not have the same powers as Cyclops.

Nerd out.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Isnt it the same kind of energy though?

Too add to Neo's point, it seems more than silly now that the Summer's father was a space pirate.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's been described that way at least once, but it didn't make sense to me then either.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I just spent an inordinate amount of time on wikipedea, Cyclops apparently channels interdimensional energy through his eyes while his body channels ambient energy used to control the dimensional energy. Havok absorbs and channels solar energy, they are both immune to each others powers.

Still doesnt justify ruining a barely relevant but pivotal (in referance to Cyclops) character for no apparent reason.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isnt it the same kind of energy though?

Too add to Neo's point, it seems more than silly now that the Summer's father was a space pirate.

It's comic books. It happens to all comic book characters who have to exist in these ridiculous worlds long enough. Movies tend to trim that in significantly, such as by removing things like how scott summers is actually space pirate royalty and how ororo munroe is actually a goddess worshipped by an african tribe and who is also simultaneously a master thief who can break any lock and escape any bonds.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Dont forget that Gambits powers are from bayou magic and when his full potential is unlocked he too is basically a god. The X-Men certainly had more stupid back stories per character than the other marvel franchises.
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ambyr:

You are a user after my own heart.

I've yet to see the last movie you've listed, but I've been meaning to for a very long time precisely because of its title. [Big Grin]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite excited about Emma Frost being in this!
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.