FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The King of Limbs -- New Radiohead Album

Author Topic: The King of Limbs -- New Radiohead Album
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Why hadn't I heard of this before now? Radiohead is releasing their new album next week. HOLY CRAP. I admit I haven't been to Green Plastic in a long time, but I follow enough music news that you'd think I would have picked up on it.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/02/14/133743405/radiohead-to-release-new-album-the-king-of-limbs-this-week

I can't wait. No, I haven't illegally downloaded any of the songs already, so I have virgin ears for this album. *drools*

[ February 14, 2011, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, I had no idea either. I am terribly interested to hear the direction this new album takes. This easily made my week, nay, month!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
They anounced it today. Don't worry, you're in the loop. It's just a short loop- they did the same thing last time around.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of a more appropriate Jatraquero to break the news to the forum.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh! Sure, I'm in. I didn't love In Rainbows, but I enjoyed it.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I honestly didn't think Radiohead was going to do another album. I had kind of figured maybe they'd get together for the occasional single, but they were ready to go their separate ways.

Or if they did do another album, it wouldn't be released until at least this fall.

I will get the mp3s only. As much as I want the full set, I would have little use for it. I have a feeling I will wear those files out the way I've done with In Rainbows.

Noemon, that poem is still one of my very favorites. I found it on Radiohead's website back in the late 90s, the one with one link per page that sort of led you around to random places.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
This is such awesome news! I love surprises.

I'll probably go for the whole package. I did for IN Rainbows and it was totally worth it.

Twink, I thought In Rainbows was excellent. And the tour they did for that album was amazing. But I know yo like harder stuff, so I can understand why it wasn't your favorite. I'm guessing your favorite is The Bends? One of the reasons I loved In Rainbows so much was that it was obviously a progression of the electronic stuff they've been getting into (also reminiscent of Yorke's Eraser), while bringing back in some of the edge they had in The Bends, melding the two sounds.

Here's something neat I stumbled across about putting together OK Computer and In Rainbows

Number 8
The original article

I haven't had a chance to do this yet, but I'm intrigued!

[ February 15, 2011, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I saw them at Lollapalooza in 2008. It was quite a good show. Great headliners that year, actually: Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, and Nine Inch Nails. All awesome shows.

My favourite Radiohead album is still The Bends, yeah. Kid A was up there for a while, but I never listen to it anymore now that I've heard a lot of it live. I much prefer the live versions of those songs. That's true of The Eraser as well, actually -- the acoustic guitar versions of those songs are great.

I did really like 15 Step and Reckoner, but the album as a whole didn't grab me the way some of the other stuff I'm into these days does. It isn't that I dislike electronic music, but stylistically the electronic stuff Radiohead does isn't in my favourite space.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Have you heard Thom Yorke's Bridge School benefit concert? It's him solo, doing two sets of Radiohead songs (it was before The Eraser, back in 2002), switching back and forth between guitar and piano. Very cool album.

I have a digital copy if you're interested.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
They anounced it today. Don't worry, you're in the loop. It's just a short loop- they did the same thing last time around.

Seems like I knew about In Rainbows before their official announcement of it 10 days before they released it. Maybe not, though. I can't remember exactly.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome news, but will they be selling a physical CD by itself? I'm still not crazy about purchasing digital albums, but I'm not going to shell out that much for a physical album, especially when I don't even own a record player.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Have you heard Thom Yorke's Bridge School benefit concert? It's him solo, doing two sets of Radiohead songs (it was before The Eraser, back in 2002), switching back and forth between guitar and piano. Very cool album.

I have a digital copy if you're interested.

I don't think I have. Cool.
Strider
Member # 1807

BB, I can add the file to my dropbox folder and make it available to anyone, but wanted to check with you before I did something like that. If that's not kosher, I'll just email the link to Twinky.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
This is awesome news, but will they be selling a physical CD by itself? I'm still not crazy about purchasing digital albums, but I'm not going to shell out that much for a physical album, especially when I don't even own a record player.

Yes, there will be a physical release (aside from the uber-deluxe "newspaper album" edition). TBD Records will be releasing the normal-variety compact disc version in North America on March 29.

Personally, I've already got my pre-order for the newspaper album in. But I'm nuts like that. [Smile]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BB, I can add the file to my dropbox folder and make it available to anyone, but wanted to check with you before I did something like that. If that's not kosher, I'll just email the link to Twinky.

I don't know if you remember, but some time ago I linked my entire Radiohead B-Side collection (which coincidentally has only gotten larger) here on the forums.

But now that I'm moderator, I'd be more comfortable if you PM'd the link to people. How's that for hypocrisy?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I was actually one of the recipients of that BB. [Smile] But figured I'd check first.

Anyone who wants the Thom Yorke disc, email me. Twinky, I assume you can unrar?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I was actually one of the recipients of that BB. [Smile] But figured I'd check first.

Anyone who wants the Thom Yorke disc, email me. Twinky, I assume you can unrar?

I do remember you were the driving force behind me linking it. I also recall not doing it right away, and feeling stung when you asked in essence, "Was that a legitimate offer, or were you just blowing smoke?" [Smile]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

BB can you link me that B-side link, and strider, can you also send me that link?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Ah, yes, I did have these tracks before. For me it's truly awful. Thom Yorke gives solo performances of his own songs that are worse than some available on youtube from real amateurs. Aside from apparently having no pitch control at all, he can't keep a solid tempo, rushes through all of his songs, and just generally sort of kicks the rock while playing. I've always thought he was awful in a solo live venue. I once saw a video of him playing reckoner so badly, I thought it must be a joke. It was, well, awful.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I am also sadly not a big fan of Thom Yorke live. Sometimes he hits it and he's absolutely mesmerizing, but all too often he's just not in tune. But as far as producing amazingly lush, beautiful, and innovative music in the studio, no one does it better than Radiohead.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested, BB, Strider.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Just a heads up, when I originally sent Strider those files they were on my old computer. I thought I had successfully transferred all my music to the computer I have currently but the Radiohead b-sides, demos, unreleased stuff all seem to have gone missing. I'm fairly certain they are still on my ipod, even if I can't get them off my computer, but that's a project I'm not sure when I will get to.

Strider *might* be a better bet than me for those songs. But I certainly wouldn't want volunteer him.

Strider
Member # 1807

Bok, sent the Thom Yorke. For those interested in that B sides collection BB is talking about I should be able to provide that as well.

It seems to mostly be integrated with the rest of my collection though. BB, do you remember if you also gave me those two live glastonbury albums, and the live kroc album?

Those of you interested in the B sides, do you have those live albums?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Strider: I'm not sure about venues, I can only tell by the song name and what they sound like, but those do not sound familiar.

Would it ruin your day if you sent me back a copy of the exact same files I gave you? I have music rescue on my computer, but it's been a bit fussy with my old Ipod Video.

edit: And I do own all the albums.

Strider
Member # 1807

Sure BB, no problem. I'll get that together today and sent it out to everyone.

When you say you "own all the albums" do you mean studio albums, or are you referencing live discs I mention above?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

The studio albums, as well as the ones those b-sides are found on. The live recordings and unreleased stuff were given to me, but as I don't own the physical albums they are found on I don't think I can rightly ask for your live music.

I mean, Radiohead has publicly said they have no qualms with people stealing their stuff, they even released an album, "Hail To The Thief" so as to make that clear. But I hesitate to ask for anything illegal now that I am a moderator.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
It's out.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Purchased! Bah, I can't even listen to this until I get home!
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I've listened through the album, and I'm not terribly impressed. "Lotus Flower" is an enduring track, and the one right after, "codex" has its charm, sort of like "You and Who's Army," but the album as a whole sounds more like a Thom Yorke album than a Radiohead album, and I'm personally less impressed with Yorke's style than with him and Greenwood together. My guess based on this initial impression is that Yorke had too much control over this album, and it suffered for that. His hiss and pop mechanics are boring at this point- it's the same stuff he's been doing for 5 years.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I've listened through the album, and I'm not terribly impressed. "Lotus Flower" is an enduring track, and the one right after, "codex" has its charm, sort of like "You and Who's Army," but the album as a whole sounds more like a Thom Yorke album than a Radiohead album, and I'm personally less impressed with Yorke's style than with him and Greenwood together. My guess based on this initial impression is that Yorke had too much control over this album, and it suffered for that. His hiss and pop mechanics are boring at this point- it's the same stuff he's been doing for 5 years.

That's actually very close to how I feel about it thus far. But I always give Radiohead about a week before I decide how I feel about it.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
My assumption with any Radiohead album is that it takes 5-10 listens before it sinks in, and it's served me well. This one hasn't been any different. My immediate response was a nonplussed "huh" after one listen, but it's grown on me immensely over the past few days.

I still don't really care for "Feral," as glitchy beats and dubstep aren't my thing, but I like-to-love the other seven tracks. "Lotus Flower" is their most melodic single in almost a decade, and Thom's falsetto has never sounded better. "Codex" is a lovely amalgam of "Pyramid Song" and "House of Cards," melding the sublime balladry of the former with the dreamy atmospherics of the latter. "Good Morning Mr. Magpie" and "Little By Little" are the closest thing to rock songs on the album, and I adore the rhythm work from Selway and Colin Greenwood (whose bass lines are, as always, an understated highlight) in both. "Little By Little" has shades of "I Might Be Wrong" in its chunky lead riff. "Give Up the Ghost" feels to me like the song Radiohead were trying to record with "Videotape" last time around, but executed better. Love the cut-up birdsong samples. And "Separator" is just great - I really enjoy how the song swiftly but subtly changes gears once the OK Computer-esque clean electric guitars come in.

So yeah, overall, I love it. I don't think it's as good as In Rainbows, but I hold that album up alongside OK Computer and Kid A as one of the Great Albums of our time. This one feels more like the Amnesiac of our time - an understated and deeply layered record short on obvious standouts that requires a little more time to wrap your head around. It's definitely the most carefully produced Radiohead album since Amnesiac. I'm pretty sure we'll be noticing little subtleties for years to come.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm not quite as upset as Orincoro, but I'm not quite so much in love as Tarrsk. I think the second half of the album is incredibly strong, but I'm a bit wavy on the first half. The first track in particular starts me off on the wrong foot. I agree with you Tarrsk about Amnesiac being understated and layered, I'm just not sure I'm ready to give King of Limbs that standing. Though I do also agree that Radiohead often times takes multiple listens to appreciate. It was literally years before I came to love Kid A the way I do now. And Amnesiac as well I only came to appreciate later.

For all those that were requesting music. It's uploading to dropbox right now, I'll send the links out via email shortly. BB, I'm actually still confused about what actual albums you're asking me for. So I've zipped up the B sides in one, the live albums in another, and the studio albums in a third. I'll send three links and feel free to grab whichever ones you want.

twinky
Member # 693

I was sure that a week with new releases from both Mogwai and Radiohead would pretty much have to be awesome. Sadly, I was disappointed in both albums.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Strider: I already have the studio albums, both physically and digitally, so I don't need those. But thanks for putting all that together, I should have done a better job backing up my music.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Hmmm. The jury's still out. I'd like a little less Yorke and more Radiohead in the songs, but there are some beautiful moments. This one will take many listens.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.