FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (Spoilers likely) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (Spoilers likely)
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
I bet I know why Kvothe is powerless. His name must have been changed.

I really like this. It's got a lot of different possibilities -- Kvothe changed it by mistake... Kvothe changed it to work some powerful magic... Kvothe changed it to help hide himself...

I like the latter. How about if Kvothe gave Denna his name, with the idea that she'd return it later when he was safe, only she didn't? Then he's all melancholy and feeling lost and betrayed, but then after he's finished telling his tale to Chronicler, Denna can suddenly show up at the Inn and give him back his name, and then Kvothe can set off to make things right again.

Y'know, the Adem did give him a name. Or atleast she told him his name that he didnt know, that name may hold power over him and one way or another he does not have Caesura anymore. When the Adem have your name and you break a two thousand year old sword, something bad will happen to you.

I half expect Kvothe to return to Felurian in the end, as Rothfuss is so fond of musing "if this were a story" he would return to his beuatiful piksie and she would grant him his freedom for spreading her song and growing her ego. But its not that kind of story, is it?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stars
Member # 12556

- posted      Profile for stars           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I found this post! The thing about Lackless has been bothering me since the 1st book!

Here's some speculation about future plot (pure imagination)

Kvothe found out the secret of the archieve door, which is related to the Amyr. Denna got tangled up with her patron, who is Cinder. Driven by loss, Kvothe leaves for the Maer's court for access to his/ the Lockless's libary, which contains the rest of the secret. Though deemed less than human, the Maer's wife recognize him because: 1. someone insulted his mother and he mentioned her noble blood; 2. he played a song by his mother from her childhood, which his aunt overhears; 3. the box is part of the amyr puzzle, and only a heir to the "power" have the right to open it, and Kvothe did.

After that, Kvothe is formally granted a title with his heritage proven. He looks like a noble and pulled the trick off in NOTW cause he's a noble. Dear god, i'd give anything to know the scene between Meluan and Kvothe. I really liked her, despite her hatred for the Ruh.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... if you feel like vicarious embarrassment watch this nsfw video of Patrick Rothfuss and Amber Benson at romance convention.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Hilar hilar.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
stars, welcome to Hatrack! You are most welcome because you have exquisite taste in literature.

You have some interesting ideas and like you I can't wait to see what really happens.

The door HAS to be related to the Amyr. And I agree, the mysterious patron - everything points to Cinder.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stars
Member # 12556

- posted      Profile for stars           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Belle. There's one thing i'm really curious about. Does Kote process Kvothe's abilities? I mean, the failed attempt to set the man on fire and the soldiers thing suggests he doesn't, but in the name of the wind he killed 5 spider fae and even Bast was impressed. And there was the part where he got mad when the chronicler mentioned Denna and a bottle exploded.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Yeah, I wondered about that too. He did manage to kill the spiders and the bottle did explode. So something is going on and it's not simply explained.

We know he had trouble doing sympathy - but that does not mean he no longer has access to the names he has learned.

I'm not sure. We will find out - and I am anxiously awaiting that!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

About Cinder being the patron, Kvothe's parents were killed by Cinder for doing exactly what Denna is doing. So if the prerogative of the chandrain is stay hidden why would they have a human kicking up old information so soon after two instances where they risked being overt to remove the danger or being learned of? The Maer has a connection to the chandrian as well as Lady Lackless and the patron but the Maer doesnt travel so he cant be the patron, but what about Kvothe's friend? the one who practices paganistic things, surely his sole role in the book cant be to play a board game with a lonely teenager. Hes rich, travels and has unusual tendencies in his personal life, perhaps he knows about the Maer's fascination with the Amyr and only introduced himself expecting to meet someone whose purpose was related to the Maer's mutual interest. Sure he is written as a nice guy, but Elodin was really cool until he told a boy to jump off a roof.
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Denna's version of Lanre is a considerably more favorable interpretation. Perhaps Arliden's version of Lanre was not to Lord Haliax's liking?
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess that (because words and names have power) that the Chandrian are working at re-establishing their power by eliminating their bad PR and, now, financing good PR...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FormerlyAchilles
Member # 12253

- posted      Profile for FormerlyAchilles           Edit/Delete Post 
The chandrian are quietly feared but no one looks for thier weaknesses or hunts them, and so long as those with the ability to find out (the university, nobles with personal library's) consider them to be silly stories then they are safe. What can a pot or a song do to hurt them? for some reason they fear these things, remember that Haliax mentioned singers in the same sentence as the Amyr so they truely do fear it.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

... I always thought Rothfuss used the Gaiman approach to "names have power" in which opinion wouldnt really do anything. Liking the chandrian doesnt make them stronger, but knowing thier names and the signs of thier presence can hurt them.
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that bothers me most about this series is not knowing how many books there will be. There are rumours that the trilogy will tell Kvothes story up to the Inn and a second trilogy will follow Kvothe in the present day.

These rumours seem to stem from VERY unreliabe sources quoting Rothfuss at signings and a review on Amazon quoting a publishing source, but with no evidence.

I wouldn't take any notice of these rumours except from The Wise Man's Fear we know that the Chandrian are still alive in the present because Kvothe is reluctant to name them out loud.

There seems to be too much of the story left leading to the Inn as it is without the Chandrian showing up at the Waystone to finish the story.

But how can the series close without Kvothe taking revenge on the Chandrian? Fair enough if Kvothe just kills Cinder, but I don't know if that would be enough closure for the end of the series?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Rothfuss was very clear at the recent signing I was at (the launch signing for WMF) that there will be three and only three books (in the series; he didn't say anything about the world).

I wouldn't worry about closure.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the link to the convention, and so did my wife. He has a really good sense of humor. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh, I think he can finish it in one book. Things will just really start taking off at the beginning of book three. We covered a LOT of ground in book two. We have a lot of background information now that I believe will start paying off with three.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
At the Dayton signing last month, he was asked whether he would be wrapping up the framing story in the third book (the person asking the question was skeptical that it could be done). His answer was something to the effect of "that's an interesting, perceptive question".

[ April 21, 2011, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I've wondered that, too.

At some point in Book 3, probably with plenty of pages left, Kote is going to have to finish his story and take care of things in the present.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'll be an Angel-type ending -- Kvothe recovers his powers, says something about how now he knows what to do, and then he and Bast go off to face almost-certain-death, and telling Chronicler to write up a suitable ending for him.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harlo
Member # 12558

- posted      Profile for Harlo           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few questions on some things I may have passed up during my read. Hopefully you can help me out.

Why was Caudicus trying to kill the Maer?
Did it fully explain or did we all assume it was becaus he was trying to usurp the king?

Did Devi give back Kvothes blood? I dont recall her doing so. I thought thats why she was so reluctant to take her 9 Talents. She thought he was dead right? Why would you keep his blood if he was dead. As I read on I found out it was because she wanted him to stay in her debt. So what happened to his blood?
Did I miss something?

As for Kvothe losing his powers and his skill to fight, I just find that hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe that he doesnt know what Bast is up too. Kvothe knew that Bast wasnt reading that book he made him read and in the Name of the Wind he knew Bast was eavesdropping at the beginning of the story. Also the exploding bottle trick when chronicler mentioned Dennas name. My guess is that he just doesnt want to be the Hero anymore...he feels too responsible for the war and for the people who have paid with their lives.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

No clue as to why Caudicus was poisoning the Maer, because if he wanted to kill him he would have. He was afforded every luxury possible and whatever made him do it must have been very powerful.

There was an overt referance the first time Kvothe paid his debt, and with how agreeable they were the second time there is no reason to believe that she would keep it.

Its not as if we understand the relationship between Kvothe and Bast, Bast listens to Kvothe like a student to a teacher but he is fae and Kvothe was very, very particular about how differant they were from humans. And Bast has also refered to Kvothe as "his" and considering how he treats Chronicler in private, he probably does not fear Kvothe in any literal sense.

basselope1
Member # 12581

- posted      Profile for basselope1   Email basselope1         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just made it through both books and have a few questions if any of you could shed some light on the topics for me...

Why the dramatic loss of power for Kvothe? He trained with the best fighters in the world, called lightning down and could call the wind, yet now he is thumped by everyone that walks into his bar?

Where is Caesura? It is not the one above the bar, right? It didn't match the description.

Many thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

Both questions have the same answer: we'll find out (in 5 or so years, probably)!
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I was re-reading Name of the Wind today when I noticed something. Likely you all have as well, but I thought I'd share anyway.

When Kvothe is talking to Master Kilvin after the bone-tar fire in the fishery, Kilvin quotes a saying in (I think) Siaru: "Chan Vaen edan Kote." He translates it as "expect disaster every seven years."

Kvothe's innkeeper name is Kote. It seems likely to me that he's named himself "Disaster", or perhaps, "Expect Disaster". Nothing earth-shattering there, of course, but something I thought was neat.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I missed that. Nice catch.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way Rothfuss didn't do that on purpose. But then, there's very little in these books that I don't believe was done on purpose.

(See: every time Kvothe says a seven-word sentence to Denna.)

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

With no explanation at all, Niel and Pat ride a carousel.
Jake
Member # 206

Definitely a nice catch, Juxtapose. I didn't see your post when you first made it.

Anybody else submit photos for Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear photo contest?

Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
The explanation is on his blog: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/06/photo-contest-prelude/
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I know, but I offered no explanation. I dont belive that Niel Gaiman and Patrick Rothfuss riding on a carousel that no one ever gets to ride needs exposition.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I read something he's written (that's not fiction), Rothfuss just comes accross so classy.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Like the blog where he talks about wanting to sniff Alyson Hannigan's hair, and then imagines being punched in the face by Alexis Denisof for being "the guy that wrote about wanting to sniff his wifes hair."

Just so couthly.

Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Couthly. I have never seen or heard that word before (though I can understand it perfectly). I have found my new word for the day [Big Grin]

And firefox hasn't heard of it either [Big Grin]

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Have you ever heard someone refered to as uncouthly? couth is when you have good manners, and are respectable.

Maybe firefox should ask google, apparently google has a bigger vocabulary.

Belle
Member # 2314

I don't understand why the "ly" adverb-making morpheme is added. I have always heard "uncouth" as an adjective form, and in the sentence you have it feels like you are using it as an adjective to describe Rothfuss, but that sentence could take an adverb as well if you were describing an action so I am not sure.

I have spending way too much time studying for linguistics comps, sorry. [Smile]

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

That last sentence is making me laugh, if only for the context in which the mistake was made. You really have been studying too much.

I dont exactly know why uncouthly is more prominent than simpyly uncouth, but I believe that in referance to Rothfuss' blog and my pull from it that I was indeed describing an action.

ETA a smiley face, I felt left out. [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.