FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You can check out any time you like

Author Topic: You can check out any time you like
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
but you can never leave...

Still true, huh?

Looks like the old Rack's changed some, though.

Anyway, I read all of the books you recommended me last time I checked in - loved The Name of the Wind and the Robin Hobb trilogies. Any more suggestions?

[Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a sequel to Name of the Wind out now, called Wise Man's Fear, and it is excellent.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a book called The Bible that I've heard people seem to like. [Smile]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tt&t!! Great to see you around again. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:

Is that the one with angry and violent wizard guy who has an army of bird people? my friend told me about it and how the wizard watches all the people he made kill each other for no apparent reason while his entire magical army does nothing besides play music and tell the wizard how awesome he is. Who ever wrote that book was really crazy, Im waiting for the movie and I hope its in 3D!
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, tt&t! It's been a while. [Smile] Do you have an account on goodreads.com? Some of us use that site to keep track of what we read and it makes it easier to pick up or make suggestions. There's even a group for people from Mike's forum there through which you can find most of us.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
quote:

Is that the one with angry and violent wizard guy who has an army of bird people? my friend told me about it and how the wizard watches all the people he made kill each other for no apparent reason while his entire magical army does nothing besides play music and tell the wizard how awesome he is. Who ever wrote that book was really crazy, Im waiting for the movie and I hope its in 3D!
Yeah, but there's quite a bit of exposition before you get to the good stuff.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! Good to see you. [Smile]

Do you like space opera? Remember Slash? His first book is coming out June 15th. It's called Leviathan Wakes and is a collaboration with Daniel Abraham -- they're using the pen name James S.A. Corey. It's the first of a trilogy, and a great read. (I got to read an advance copy.) So something to look for this summer.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, ElJay. I'll look for it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Hey there, tt&t! It's been a while. [Smile] Do you have an account on goodreads.com? Some of us use that site to keep track of what we read and it makes it easier to pick up or make suggestions. There's even a group for people from Mike's forum there through which you can find most of us.

Plus you know someone who works there. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Leviathan Wakes is really good.

And I don't just say that because I was tangentially involved.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I dont think I am gonna read it myself, someone already ruined the ending of the sequal by telling me all about it and now I cant bring myself to read it no matter how many hotels recomend it.

SPOILER ALERT
I do think the whole part about the wizards son dying on purpose and then coming back to life a bit later is a total rip-off of Angel season 5, atleast Spike was funny about it. Although it could work if the son coming back was the lead in to start the third and zombie focused end of the trilogy.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
Leviathan Wakes is really good.

And I don't just say that because I was tangentially involved.

Yup, and yup.

I also recommend trying Glen Cook's The Black Company. He's the exact opposite of Robert Jordan in that he writes the leanest prose I've ever read.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Cook writes the leanest prose you've ever read? I enjoyed the first three Black Company books, but I thought that the prose in the first one was almost embarassingly purple. If I hadn't had your assurange that the series was worthwhile I'd probaby have stopped a third of the way through the first book (I'm glad that I didn't, though--it's a fun series).
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Doomsday Book by Connie Willis? It's sci fi/historical fiction about a woman who goes back in time to study medieval England and ends up right when the plague is breaking out. I really enjoyed it. She has some other books set in the same universe, I think, but I haven't read them.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
How about the Runelords series by David Farland?

I'm reading book 4 and its good so far. Nothing earth moving, but good solid fantasy, with enjoyable characters and a strong premise.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading the Runelords series myself. (Just finished book 2). Farland reminds me of a poor man's Brandon Sanderson.

quote:
Have you read Doomsday Book by Connie Willis? It's sci fi/historical fiction about a woman who goes back in time to study medieval England and ends up right when the plague is breaking out. I really enjoyed it. She has some other books set in the same universe, I think, but I haven't read them.
She has a quite a few books in that same universe. I highly recommend the two-volume story Blackout and All Clear, which take place during the Blitz.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Cook writes the leanest prose you've ever read? I enjoyed the first three Black Company books, but I thought that the prose in the first one was almost embarassingly purple. If I hadn't had your assurange that the series was worthwhile I'd probaby have stopped a third of the way through the first book (I'm glad that I didn't, though--it's a fun series).

What do you mean by purple?

I mean that he isn't long-winded. There's very little description, unlike, say, Tolkien.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Seconded on Connie Willis. Totally worth it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Seconded on Connie Willis. Totally worth it.

I would disagree at least on that book.

SPOILER

Unless you want unrelieved bleakness.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I've read and enjoyed Blackout and All Clear, as well as a couple others from Willis. Haven't read Doomsday Book yet. Is it really a lot more bleak than Blackout and All Clear? I found those pretty upbeat overall.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been years since I've read Doomsday, but from what I recall, it's approximately on the same level.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
[QB]
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

What do you mean by purple?
I'd probably be easier to find some examples and show them to you. I'll see if I can find my copy of the book tonight.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I've read and enjoyed Blackout and All Clear, as well as a couple others from Willis. Haven't read Doomsday Book yet. Is it really a lot more bleak than Blackout and All Clear? I found those pretty upbeat overall.

SPOILER

So are some people left alive at the end of those?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

SPOILER

Yes, and with an interesting and (I thought) emotion-producing twist at the end.

Jake
Member # 206

I remember being really engrossed in Doomsday Book while riding the bus to campus in 1994. Somebody next to me coughed or sneezed or something, and I about jumped out of my skin.
tt&t
Member # 5600

Thank you. [Smile]

And hello. [Smile]

Yes, Wise Man's Fear is on my to-get list.

I have heard of the Bible now that you mention it.

Corwin, I do have goodreads, but I really need to use it more (I think my only friend there is rivka and the last time I updated was... too long ago. Probably right after I created the account). Should get onto that I suppose! I shall have to look up the sakeriver group. [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Joined Jan. 2010; last active Aug. 2010. So, not quite.

But you already ARE a member of the sakeriver group, so finding the rest of them is easy enough.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Am I? Clearly I need to actually go look... right after I look at all this other stuff I've been missing out on [Razz]
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya TT&T!
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I first read that as "quite a bit of explosions" and my first thought was "Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer made a movie version of the Bible?"
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Hey Feyd [Smile]

And everyone else, thank you for all the suggestions, I'll check them out on goodreads.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
I first read that as "quite a bit of explosions" and my first thought was "Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer made a movie version of the Bible?"
PASSION OF THE CHRIST 2: THE RECKONING

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.