FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you recline? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do you recline?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I love flying, especially the takeoff. Landing is fun just for getting to watch the landscape get bigger and the city and cars resolve from dots to life-size.

I get pretty good vertigo in a tall building or even on a 4th-floor balcony, but not in a plane. During flights I've considered whether I should be feeling claustrophobic and/or panicked that I'm in a small tube surrounded by thin air and helpless should the pilots lose control--but that's never gone past the intellectual for me.

Interestingly, I believe I would feel completely different in a submarine. And if I never find myself deep underground in a small cave shaft or a mine, I will be all the happier for it. I'm not sure how I would be in a small spacecraft, but I would sure like the chance to find out.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was getting a graduate engineering degree, I kept getting letters from the Navy about working on a nuclear submarine. If they had ever met me in person and saw how tall I am, I don't think they would have thought it was that great of an idea.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only about 5'6 and I still don't like it when people recline in front of me. It seriously hampers my ability to balance things on the tray table. I've never been gutsy enough to ask them to sit up though, but I do figure that if they end up being continuously kicked as I reposition during the flight that it's their own darn fault.

Personally, the only time I recline my seat is when I know there isn't anyone behind me. I feel like a wretch doing it any other time, since if I don't like it, the person behind me probably doesn't like it either. It's sort of one of those "golden rule" type things for me.

I'm also kind of a larger person. While I do fit within one airline seat, I often have to do the "self hug" if I'm sitting next to another normal sized person too. If I'm flying southwest I'll actually book the extra ticket and get the refund just to avoid that.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember DDD, if you recite the name Kevin Smith three times on a southwest flight they will not ask you to get off the plane.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
I'm only about 5'6 and I still don't like it when people recline in front of me.

Ooof. I have very little sympathy for you [Wink] . Just imagine having the seat in front of you moved seven inches closer, and your seat decreased in size by 40%, and you'll get an idea of how the outliers among us feel on every flight. It's worse now than ever, too.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.