FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Right to abortion = right to sex selective abortion (Page 6)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Right to abortion = right to sex selective abortion
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, why does any of that need to be mandatory? DNA tests are possible, even without the mother even knowing about it.

How about pushing for an education campaign ("Suspect your wife is a liar and sleeps around? Be sure that kid is yours!") before mandatory testing, which causes a load of complications and is costly in very real terms.

I recognize the possible scattered benefits of a mandatory plan. I also recognize the huge costs of such a plan, and since DNA testing is avaiable for everyone anyway, the benefits don't outweigh the costs, not even close.

SW, I am not sure you recognize the costs of such a mandatory plan. What do you see the costs to be?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
kat...your assumptive and negatively emotionally charged posting style rubs me the wrong way nearly every single time I read one of your posts.

And the worst part is, that your points are sometimes valid, but because you jump to so many negative conclusions and are so combative that I want to argue with you whether or not I actually agree with your point.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The assumption behind the mandatory plan is that women cannot and should not be trusted - that every one should be double-checked to protect men against them.

It's inherently a mysoginistic stance. I'm not surprised you don't like hearing it called that. If it helps, I don't like hearing that sort of statement.

----

Look at the defense for the mandatory plan - pregnant, hormonal women are crazy and men shouldn't have to deal with them. Every aspect of this hinges on how men are victims of women and so all women should be trusted as liars - guilty of adultery until a DNA test proves them innocent. It's not an attractive stance.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

kat, to your question...I'm against mandatory testing...but the cost...online you can find dna tests for $80, and if made mandatory that cost would go down a lot.

As to inherently misogynistic...I'm divided, I can see why you would think so, but again, if the system wasn't set up in a way to make it legally binding for life no matter what the dna says, then there would be no call for it.

Clearly it is a reactionary measure.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you, katharina.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

SW, I think it's more accurate to say the legal system makes it binding until the presumption of paternity is disproven. Any presumed father can check on that if he wants.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The system is not, in fact, set up to bind a man for life (18 years, actually) regardless of DNA. If, however, someone has been a father in a child's life, in terms of behavior, *sometimes* he will be bound as the father regardless of DNA. That's a bit different, to say the least.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Any presumed father can check on that if he wants.

You say that like I don't know, instead of saying that myself within the last two minutes.

Remember here people, I agree that it shouldn't be made mandatory. I just understand why someone might want it to be that way.

scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Any presumed father can check on that if he wants.

You say that like I don't know, instead of saying that myself within the last two minutes.
I am sorry if I misunderstood. You seemed to be saying the system was binding no matter what the DNA says, and that was what I was responding to.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Perhaps I am the one who is confused.

My understanding is that there is a form that men sign saying they are the father, and that they have only 60 or so days to change their mind, and after that, the form is binding even if at a later date the dna shows that he is in fact not the father.

Is this not true?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember here people, I agree that it shouldn't be made mandatory. I just understand why someone might want it to be that way.
I too think I understand why some people might want it that way. It basically boils down to, they are misogynist jerks who think protecting men from the evil wiles of manipulative woman should be a social priority. I disagree.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
So, do all threads by Sa'ed end here? (assuming Saed is Clive)

No, some of them begin here. I presume KirKis is also Clive?
It's certainly beginning to seem that way. [Razz]

quote:
kat...your assumptive and negatively emotionally charged posting style rubs me the wrong way nearly every single time I read one of your posts.

And the worst part is, that your points are sometimes valid, but because you jump to so many negative conclusions and are so combative that I want to argue with you whether or not I actually agree with your point.

Oh, the IRONY!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Perhaps I am the one who is confused.

My understanding is that there is a form that men sign saying they are the father, and that they have only 60 or so days to change their mind, and after that, the form is binding even if at a later date the dna shows that he is in fact not the father.

Is this not true?

Sorry, I missed that you were talking only about the Texas situation described on the previous page.

Still, that understanding is not quite true.

quote:
An acknowledgment of paternity may be rescinded by filing a motion to rescind within 60 days of the date of signing the acknowledgment. [TFC § 160.307]. A challenge to the acknowledgment may be filed after the 60 day period, but must claim fraud, duress, or material mistake of fact. The results of a paternity test showing that the acknowledged father is not the biological father constitutes a material mistake of fact. [TFC § 160.308].
https://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/attorneys/crimnonsup/crimnonsuphb_ch11.shtml

Other sites claim the extended time limit is only 4 years, but I think it would be extremely rare to develop doubts after 4 years. This leaves me a bit uncomfortable - it's not impossible to make a mistake and not find out until more than 4 years later - but, such cases should be few.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Prepare yourselves hatrack, here comes a scenario:

Robert's wife has a child, and he thinks nothing of it, and signs on the dotted line. Right after the deadline ends for him to foreswear as father, it comes out that he has testicular cancer and is infertile (I have no idea if medically this is true) and has been for years. He asks his wife how she got pregnant and she admits sleeping around on him. He immediately files for divorce and doesn't want anything to do with the child, who is still a baby. He is not obligated to pay child support for the next 18 years instead of the child's real father.

Nothing that Robert's wife did caused him to suspect she was being unfaithful. He had no reason to ask for a paternity test.

Of course I see your point that if paternity testing is made mandatory it is unfairly assuming the possibility of infidelity in the vast majority of women. Which is one of the major reasons I am not for it.

scifibum
Member # 7625

In most cases, if they are married, there is no signing on the dotted line necessary. Legally Robert is the father unless he takes steps to establish otherwise.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

You know you love me rivka, don't bother to deny it.

Thank you for the info bum, it appears I was wrong in my understanding and I must eat crow.

You know, crow isn't so bad once you get used to it.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
You know you love me rivka, don't bother to deny it.

Who's denying?

Our love is pure, but it is nonetheless forbidden. Alas!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

That's what makes it so special! [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

For some value of "special".
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Short bus special?
rivka
Member # 4859

If you say so.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why wouldn't they need to tell the father "your not the father"? You make no sense to me. Please clarify.
Examine the potential outcomes either way. Which are better?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

You mean, if the hospital knew that the child didn't belong to the father and,

A) Didn't tell him. or

B) Told him?

Are those the options we are talking about Tom?

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when I ignore a topic for so long and I check in to see where the conversation has drifted to I find one person being a stubborn fool, and others declaring them to be so with as little tact as possible. But here I find SW and rivka involved in witty banter.

Hatrack, what has happened to you?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You mean, if the hospital knew that the child didn't belong to the father and,

A) Didn't tell him. or

B) Told him?

And c) the father hasn't asked; and d) the mother hasn't asked.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

You wouldn't want to know?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I expect if he wanted to know, he'd take the relatively simple and (unless he's screws it up) get the materials needed completely undetected, and have the test done. Easy. The mother need never know in the event of a match, that the man didn't trust her. If there is no match, then of course he can go forward from there.

The remedy to the problem you're mentioning is *already there*, perfectly available to any man who seeks it. Shall we require anyone signing a contract to take a test on the relevant law every time they do so, to ensure they are protected if they've made a foolish decision? When people buy a car, should they have to prove they personally understand its inner workings before they pay?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hm. No, I don't think I'd want to know. Independent of the question of whether or not my wife is cheating on me is the question of whether I would treat a child in my household differently if it were not my own. I submit that only selfish bastards care about the latter.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm surprised by how judgmental your last statement is Tom. Only a selfish bastard would care if their children where theirs? Really?

We are not talking about an adopted child or raising your dead brother's child here.

Your wife cheating on you and the welfare of the child...how could you possibly make the two things independent? Yes the child's welfare is still important, but the child has a real father, and he is the one it should be important to.

In this scenario, your wife is cheating on you, and has been impregnated with his child, and is passing it off as yours. The hospital knows it's not yours, and you would rather not know?

I would never stay with someone who cheated on me, one strike you are out. My wife is the same way. It is not a small thing, marriage vows. I can't imagine how any self respecting person could just let that go.

scifibum
Member # 7625

I guess if you define self respect as the inability to forgive any infidelity in a marriage, you would be right.

For other values I'm sure you could come up with a plausible scenario.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Oh, I'm sure I could imagine it...but let's not be that literal.

If you cheat on someone, they should ditch you...that's what I believe, and yes, part of the reason you should is to respect yourself.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Yes the child's welfare is still important, but the child has a real father, and he is the one it should be important to.
Why?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm not sure this is a serious question here Tom...I mean do you really want me to go into detail about this, or is your three letter reply just a brush off?
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tom's question is a good one, actually. Sperm doesn't make you a father. Taking care of a kid, educating him, loving him does. I think you set too much store in DNA and not enough in, well, life as we live it.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I would like you to go into detail explaining why a child born into your family and care, who just happens to contain another man's genetic material, should be more his concern than yours.
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
So it needs to be a mandatory test because men are afraid of pregnant women???

And what, exactly, is wrong with a 60 day window? Would you rather make it 90 days? 2 years? 10 years? There will always be people who find out "the truth" right after the time table is up. I suspect the 60 days is there to keep the courts from being bombarded with DNA tests every time a couple splits up.

Also, the child really MUST be considered. Once a father has parented, the kid has a right to expect him to continue to parent. Also, what about kids who were conceived with donor sperm? At the moment there are lots of people who use donor sperm (or eggs) and not every clinic follows the same practices. What happens if a couple who had IVF gets divorced and Dad claims it's not his based on DNA. The records that could be introduced into court are often different, so it would be hard to know if it were tampered with. Heck, what if it was just a lab mix up??

Personally, I think there is SOME merit in requiring a DNA test for all non-married parents. However, DNA tests aren't free, and it still costs several hundred dollars to do one. Who is going to pay?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I would like you to go into detail explaining why a child born into your family and care, who just happens to contain another man's genetic material, should be more his concern than yours.

Well, there's more to it than just an accident of genetic material. There's the problem of the mother being deeply untrustworthy on at least two issues-fidelity (sometimes, depending on timing) and, well, not lying with the implicit understanding, "This is your biological child."

I don't think there's anything wrong with a man being repelled to the point of leaving if, right at the start of starting a family, a couple of cornerstones are...shaky. Is it the ideal moral response? Well, no. But to raise a bastard that is attempted to be passed as yours, and to find out that it's *not* yours on one's own, not talking about an unprompted admission...well, I don't think many people are in a position to judge on so few details about the situation.

just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 young kids.

If I found out my wife had cheated on me and one or both of them weren't mine I might just kick her to the curb.

But I'd fight to keep the kids. Genes be damned... they're MY kids!

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

To be clear, I am speaking of a new baby. If I found out my kinds weren't mine, I would still fight for custody.

So, you find out your new baby is not yours and your wife is sleeping around...I say that your ability to trust and love your wife is severely compromised, and even if you were to try and stay with her, (I have no idea why you would want to) that your hurt and anger would only eat away at the relationship and cause problems down the road.

As to the child, they would be embodiment of your wife's infidelity, and no matter what good intentions you might have, I suspect that would manifest in one way or another.

Part of a marriage contract, and it is a contract, is fidelity, and once that is breached, all other clauses are also null and void.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this argument has left two questions unasked that points to whether this is women-fearing argument or not.

1) What are the numbers we are looking at. Do you imagine that 10% are defrauding their husbands in regards to their children? Is it 50%? Is it 1%? Is it far far less than 1%.

I think answers to that question will make this a very interesting conversation.

2) Why is it that Stone and others blame the wife for the problem. Why don't they blame the cheating man for the fraud?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

As to question 2...the other man didn't take a vow of fidelity.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Part of a marriage contract, and it is a contract, is fidelity, and once that is breached, all other clauses are also null and void.
Nah. While it's true that a marriage contract includes an expectation of fidelity -- or at least honesty -- I don't see the abrogation of a single clause of the contract as something that necessitates the cancellation of the whole.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Rather a personal opinion there, isn't it Tom? And pretty strange considering many go into the arrangement with the expectation that a breach of that 'clause' *does* necessitate ditching the whole thing.

Those people who do-who go into a relationship with the understanding that infidelity is just cause to leave-and then do so if it happens aren't selfish bastards. Not by any usual understanding of those words anyway. You really have to stretch and bring your own meaning there.

Likewise, for *some* people, cheating nullifies everything else. It's not a given, though-it varies from couple to couple. One individual is hardly ever in a position to determine whether another individual has self respect, only if they deserve the respect of themselves, the ones looking.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Those people who do-who go into a relationship with the understanding that infidelity is just cause to leave-and then do so if it happens aren't selfish bastards.
But like I said, that's a different issue. Dealing with your wife's infidelity is actually a completely separate problem from "Oh, this child I believed was the product of my genetic material actually isn't. I wonder if that means his sperm donor should care more about him than I do?"
Anna
Member # 2582

I'm with Tom on this one. Leaving your wife because she cheated is one thing, deciding the kids you raised and loved for X years suddenly mean nothing to you is quite another.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm not sure you are on Tom's side Anna. I don't think anyone here has said that they would leave their kids that they have raised and loved any significant amount of time. Several people have suggested that they (myself included) would fight for custody even though the children were not biologically theirs.

What got the ball rolling was Tom saying that if the hospital knew (at birth) that a child wasn't his, he wouldn't want to know, and anyone who did want to know and would not treat that brand new baby (who was not theirs) like his own child was a selfish bastard.

And here is why people care more for their own children Tom: 1) Nature...it is just a part of nature to want your genes to thrive. Bottlenose dolphins will kill the offspring of rivals to get the female dolphins to become available to have their own offspring. Genes are a large part of who and what we are, and wanting your children to have a piece of you, to be a part of you is not selfish or stupid, it is a major part of why people have children.

2) There are (according to this source) about two billion children in the world, and all are deserving of love, protection, caring and affection. How do you pick which ones to give your love to? Can't make it around to all 2,000,000,000.

3) Parental rights...that guy your wife cheated on you with has some.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Nah. While it's true that a marriage contract includes an expectation of fidelity -- or at least honesty -- I don't see the abrogation of a single clause of the contract as something that necessitates the cancellation of the whole.

I wonder if your (future?) wife would agree with you.
Anna
Member # 2582

I would not treat anyone who wants to know, at birth, if a baby carries their DNA as selfish bastards, but I certainly don't think telling the truth is always a good solution in the case the hospital knows, but nobody asked.
The thing is, our children are our children because we decide so, not because they carry our DNA. See adoption. See egg and sperm donors. We are more than what nature makes us; links between man and wife, parent and child, are mostly build by society.
Besides, if "the guy your wife cheated with" cared about his parental rights, he'd do something about it. If he doesn't, chances are he doesn't care a damn about the kids, whether they are carrying his DNA or not.
Also, asking for a DNA test at birth is breaching the trust spouses should have one for another, and I think it is a much a part of a healthy marriage than fidelity often is.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
1) Nature...it is just a part of nature to want your genes to thrive. Bottlenose dolphins will kill the offspring of rivals to get the female dolphins to become available to have their own offspring. Genes are a large part of who and what we are, and wanting your children to have a piece of you, to be a part of you is not selfish or stupid...
No, it is selfish and stupid. It is also common. As you point out, there are a lot of children out there in the world. There are in fact a lot of people in the world. And the ones we generally include in our MonkeySphere are the ones who've been proximate to us for a while.

quote:
3) Parental rights...that guy your wife cheated on you with has some.
No, not really. You'll want to Google the "presumption of paternity," perhaps. As long as you and your wife are married, the sperm donor doesn't have a leg to stand on.

quote:
I wonder if your (future?) wife would agree with you.
We've had this conversation, and she does. Throwing away your marriage because your wife had an affair is relatively shortsighted. Letting a marriage go when one party is completely uninterested in it -- or actively hostile to it -- is another question altogether (of which sexual or emotional infidelity can occasionally be a symptom), but I think a fundamental truth that's being missed here is that infidelity can occur even when the marriage is strong and worth preserving in all other ways.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Wanting your children to have their mother's smile and their father's eyes, and their grandmother's chin is...selfish and stupid in your book. Wanting to pass down a piece of yourself into future generations is stupid and selfish? I highly doubt you will get a lot of support for that idea here.

Those people who choose to adopt are doing a Good Thing™, and very much help by taking unwanted or orphaned children and giving them a family and love.

But that doesn't mean that it should an expectation that all do that, and if you want your genes passed on you are selfish and stupid.

I'm rather offended.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.