FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For all Muppet fans, the Muppets are making a comeback (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: For all Muppet fans, the Muppets are making a comeback
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:

I haven't seen the Muppet movie, but I have no trouble believing there is an undercurrent of "big businessmen are villains" since that's a common theme in our fiction. But I really, really doubt that it's dominated by that message. In fact, though I've never seen it, I'd happily bet money against that likelihood.

Nope this isn't the case. The villain is stock-generic-badguy. There isn't even the slightest undercurrent of any anti-big-business propaganda. No one has a problem with the big-business guy buying the theater, or with the oil drilling. They have a problem with the destruction of the theater itself. Heck, they don't even bear any ill will toward the developer, and he is a real d-bag.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
So when you say "nope this isn't the case," you're referring to... what, exactly?

Are you arguing with me? Cause it looks like your assessment of the movie basically confirms my guess. So...

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Nope this isn't the case. The villain is stock-generic-badguy. There isn't even the slightest undercurrent of any anti-big-business propaganda. No one has a problem with the big-business guy buying the theater, or with the oil drilling. They have a problem with the destruction of the theater itself. Heck, they don't even bear any ill will toward the developer, and he is a real d-bag.

Maybe this will make it easier to understand.

Is Cruella DeVille a villain because she is rich? or maybe its her obsession with nice clothes or is it just her unfortunate last name that causes everyone to dislike her. Oh yeah, she wanted to kill a butt load of puppies for a coat. Tex Richman (the bad guy in the movie that haven't seen but are damning as propaganda) was lying to the stewards of the Muppet Theatre about how he was going to fix the place up after buying it when he was in fact going to destroy the whole place to drill for oil, that makes him a liar and liars are bad (plus he did this whole maniac laughter thing a couple times).

And really if you're gonna go after a kids movie for a self imprinted liberal scheme, we may as well discourage viewership of said movie for its unrealistic portrayal of how laws and city zoning statutes work. After all, you can't drill for oil in the middle of Hollywood.

[ December 06, 2011, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, although, it should be mentioned that the bad guy tycoon IS attempting to pull a bait and switch. They all think he's turning it into a museum, not an oil field. Though, he cops to it immediately when called out...and does so in song.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets get back to real matter at hand, is it me or was the monster looking muppet that worked for Richman one of Jim Henson's originals from the first season of Saturday Night Live?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
After all, you can't drill for oil in the middle of Hollywood.

Actually . . . I doubt that's true.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

AH, are you arguing with Fox, or with me?
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

With you, in regards to your last post before my highlighted quote.

And Fox news, I'm willing to argue with them about anything really.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
AH, I think that Dan agrees that Fox is wrong about this movie.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Thanks Boots!

AH, the movie as you've described it fits my definition of "having an undercurrent of 'big business is the villain'" to a T (tee?) Tex Richman wants to demolish a theater and drill for oil? Yeah. It's there. No surprise, since that attitude is pretty well ingrained in our pop culture and appears in countless movies. My greater point was... who cares? If I thought subliminal manipulation was occurring (a.k.a. if I was a nutball conspiracy theorist) maybe I'd care. Fortunately, I'm not, so I don't.

By all accounts it's a great movie, and I'm sure the movie never tries to have a message of "see this guy is bad cause he's a businessman!" Therefore, Fox is way off base.

You mentioned 101 Dalmations. 101 Dalmations has an undercurrent of "fur is murder, anyone who wears fur is the devil," but they don't taint their story by trying to jam that message home. So it's a great movie, you can pick that up if you see everything through that lens, but ultimately you'll miss it if you don't. Ditto for muppets and businessmen. Fox sees the world through that lens. I have a pair of multi-focals that include that lens, but I'm clever enough not to waste too much time staring through it. [Smile]

Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Thanks Boots!

AH, the movie as you've described it fits my definition of "having an undercurrent of 'big business is the villain'" to a T (tee?) Tex Richman wants to demolish a theater and drill for oil? Yeah. It's there. No surprise, since that attitude is pretty well ingrained in our pop culture and appears in countless movies.

See, that was one of the funniest things to us when we saw it, the fact that it was so obvious, the whole evil businessman, Tex Rich Man thing. Think of the era the Muppets hail from and were popular during. This was a classic scenario. Who's going to argue that Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem didn't at least wish they were at Woodstock or protests in the 60's and 70's? I think that while the big, bad businessman plot was overt, the humor behind it was subtle.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that Tex Richman was such a buffoon of a character who couldn't really be taken seriously should deflate much of the criticism.

SPOILER
And for that matter, he recants...though it takes a close head injury to get him to do so.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Spoiler Alert!
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

The Muppets fire back at fox news.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.