FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pet Peeves (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pet Peeves
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Which language did you translate Vadon's post to, and then back to English to get your post?

And what's up with those sales links?

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Doctors who believe that their only function is to lecture me about losing weight. I have a mother for that. Here's a clue, if the lecture worked, there would be no more fat people. I know that losing weight would help my indigestion but could we maybe get me some Nexium in the meantime so I could avoid the throat irritation while I am feeling lousy about being fat?

Grrrrr.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Fat is a four letter word...don't trust them boots, a little bit o' extra keeps ya warm at night...those skinny minnys are always cold.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Thanks. It isn't that I think he is wrong. Just unpleasant and ineffective.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate, I have had quite a few doctors like that. I am very, very glad that my current doctors (primary, endo, and pulmonologist) are very low-key on things like that, and NOT pushy. It's a nice change. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Except for extreme cases, it seems to me at least that happiness is more important to your overall health then a few extra lbs.

If you are unhappy, then do something about it! If you like food and don't hurt yourself with it and are happy, then be happy, screw the MD, they always want people to be ribs and hip bones.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

I think (after talking with some other people that go to that practice) that part of the problem is that he is a DO rather than an MD. I do generally agree with the principles of self regulation and so forth up to a point, but I go to doctors when I am past that point and need medicine. As he hasn't even looked at my chart before my appointment and doesn't know me from Adam, his questions about "what I do for fun" and lifestyle in general strike me as intrusive and insincere and annoying.
rivka
Member # 4859

IME, DO v. MD really makes very little difference. I've had MDs who pulled almost that identical shtick, and DOs who didn't do anything of the sort.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yeah, the two have become just about interchangeable. It may explain his reluctance to just write a darn prescription though. And he really doesn't seem to be paying attention. For example, about a year ago I had a yeast infection and was prescribed the usual stuff. When going over my list of medications, the dr. asked if I were still taking it. That doesn't seem to be the question of someone who is paying attention.
rivka
Member # 4859

O_o

Um. Yeah.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

I had a really hard time suppressing my patented "you are too stupid to live" expression and tone on that one.
rivka
Member # 4859

Understandable.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate, your doctor reminds me of my OB, who I've had for the previous two pregnancies. Near the end of the last one, he happened to notice that I was five pounds heavier than at the same point in the first. Did he ask any questions to find out if I was eating a healthy diet? (I was) No. His exact words were, "Hey, lay off the junk food." I was so furious that all I could do was splutter at him that I didn't even eat junk food!

Remembering that exchange still makes me angry any time I think about it, over a year later.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Good heavens! Did you find a new doctor? I hate judgey doctors. Bleh.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, he was really the only one available. I was only willing to deliver at one hospital within reasonable distance, and he's one of only two OBs who work there, and the other doctor wasn't taking new patients at the time I was looking. I don't intend to have any more babies for a while, maybe never, so the situation may have changed if I ever need an OB again. If not, at least he's the devil that I know. [Wink]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

It is nearly impossible to contact unemplyment in my state over the phone...their system just says "We already have more callers then we can handle" and hangs up on you, and has for months.

I wonder where they could find some people to hire for more phone operators...if only they had a list of folk seeking employment.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they not have some automated system of putting you in a queue and calling you back?
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

No! They do not...one of two things happen...

One: the puter says we are full up and hangs up on you instantly.

Two: the puter greets you in two languages, and if you hit any button it hangs up on you...then you pick your language...then is the 2 minute announcement about President Obama extending federal extensions....which you can't skip...then you want the 6th option, the 7th option, 3rd option, 1st option, input your SSN, confirm your SSN, input your pin, confirm your pin, brief announcement then...

A: you get to talk to someone (super rare)

B: brief announcement and they hang up on you.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Okay, so my wife is a CMA (Certified Medical Assistant), and has all her prereqs to go to RN school...then they added another one. Intermediate algebra. Now mind you, this is at a community college, not UCLA. The credits are $46 each, 4 credits for this class, the book and program combo are about $200, plus $25 for a parking permit, and you are over $400 for a skill nurses don't need.

Can anyone tell me why (other then for making money) a Registered Nurse would need to know intermediate algebra?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Calculating dosages, I'd imagine. Or it may simply be part of a core requirement for a B.Science, if she doesn't already have one and they require one for their RN cert.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Pretty sure that knowing that x+6/4x^2+25x+25 + x/4x^2+23x+15 equals 2(4x^2+16x+9)/(x+5)(4x+5)(4x=3) has nothing to do with dosages.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Pet peeve: There is no one word for the concept of "not ripe enough".
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
"Unripe".
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Thanks!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
My job is really starting to peeve me. I'm in the OB field and I can't even tell girls to lay off the junk food without them trying to bite my head off. I mean, seriously? I'm the medical professional here, and
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a pronunciation nazi and people pronouncing things in odd or different ways rarely bothers me, but when someone says "fo-ward" instead of "for-ward" I find it incredibly annoying. I first noticed it while listening to the audio book version of Brian Greene's The Hidden Reality (the author was the reader) and once I realized it bothered me I began hearing it all the time. Luckily, from what I've noticed, it's a mid-western/east-coast thing so I don't hear it in every day conversation. Only every day on NPR...
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Pretty sure that knowing that x+6/4x^2+25x+25 + x/4x^2+23x+15 equals 2(4x^2+16x+9)/(x+5)(4x+5)(4x=3) has nothing to do with dosages.

It depresses me that you believe this to be true.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Easily depressed riv?
rivka
Member # 4859

Only by the state of math/science education in our nation.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Gotta have a hobby.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

It depresses me that you believe this to be true.
I'm assuming the thing he believes to be true that depresses you is that the first equation equals the second equation. Not the comment about dosages.

Because, although "algebra" is used to calculate doses, it's true that the algebra you do really doesn't bear any resemblance to his (incorrect) equation. And it's been a long time since I was in school, but the algebra required for dosage doesn't seem like intermediate to me, seems like the sort of thing you'd understand after basic.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nitpicking over which specific bit of algebra is or is not needed to calculate dosages is what depresses me. It usually indicates someone who does all math by rote.

Algebra should be about learning ways of thinking about math problems, not just learning step 1, step 2, step 3. Factoring, and what it means to find factors, IS conceptually related to ratios and thus to dosages.

As for what "intermediate algebra" is, that can mean all sorts of things. Depends on the school, the state, the accrediting agency, the phase of the moon, and all sorts of things.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Nitpicking over which specific bit of algebra is or is not needed to calculate dosages is what depresses me. It usually indicates someone who does all math by rote.

Algebra should be about learning ways of thinking about math problems, not just learning step 1, step 2, step 3. Factoring, and what it means to find factors, IS conceptually related to ratios and thus to dosages.

You do the opposite of depress me. [Smile]

quote:
As for what "intermediate algebra" is, that can mean all sorts of things. Depends on the school, the state, the accrediting agency, the phase of the moon, and all sorts of things.

Fair enough!
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gotta have a hobby.
Says the guy whose hobby is expressing annoyance at the supposed nonexistence of a word that he could have easily looked up in the dictionary himself. [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

In fairness, "unripe" is kind of a lousy word.

Up there with "ruthful."

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
In fairness, "unripe" is kind of a lousy word.

I find this bizarre. I grew up using it as a perfectly ordinary word.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Dan, unless you are referring to where I didn't hit shift so (4x+3) came out (4x=3)...those two fractions do add up to the answer I gave.

rivka, this level of algebra is not about understanding how the math works, it is a giant bog of crap where you have to do each and every step perfectly or else your answer is wrong. It is arduous, an exhausting burden of math where perfection is required and it will never ever ever be used in real life not once ever. Yes, the concepts can be helpful, but those were mastered in basic algebra, or in algebra, not in intermediate.

Here is the background to this: My wife is working 45+ hours a week, five days a week, she has this math class 4 days a week, four hours a day, and a CNA class on the weekends. She wakes up and leaves the house before our children are awake seven days a week, and gets home after they are put to bed 4 days a week. And has enough homework from both classes that if I don't step in and do her math homework for her she wouldn't have time to sleep. Meanwhile she is struggling mightily to grasp this useless crap.

She had -all- her prereqs done for RN school, except the CNA class...and RN school is next semester. And then they changed their standards to include intermediate algebra. A class which teaches stuff that has zero applicability to being an RN. This accelerated summer version was the only one available, or else she could put off RN school for a whole year.

So, forgive me if it depresses you that it bugs me that they make her take this expensive and useless class which keeps her so busy I have to send her pictures of the kids so she can see them at all most days of the week.

[ July 02, 2012, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I have a great deal of sympathy for students overloaded with work + classes + trying to have a life. I went through it, and my job involves me trying to help many students in similar situations now. I also have a great deal of sympathy for students stuck with changing requirements, and the various related issues that come from educational bureaucracies.

I also have a great deal of sympathy for students dealing with classes using methodology that is often far from ideal, and does not necessarily teach what it should theoretically be teaching.

However, I think it is terrible how little math and science are required by many colleges as basic core requirements. IMO, what is most often called intermediate algebra should be required for every single recipient of a bachelor's degree, and probably every recipient of a two-year degree.

I'm not in favor of changing such requirements for already-admitted students, though. That just sucks.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Thanks for the sympathy...my wife is one of the hardest working people I know...and she has a venous malformation in her brain so she works harder then most people while suffering a constant headache.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Blizzard says, we will have everything up by 10 am.

Blizzard's official sever status says everything is up.

The auction house is down.

The lies continue.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

It always bugs me when movie posters with actors on them and the actor's names are in the wrong order, like this, or this instead of this or this. It's like the art designer and the type setter aren't talking.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, that is often the product of lengthy negotiation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Just about every pet peeve I have can be traced back to "people who clearly expect the world to accommodate them."

And the sound of someone eating, for some reason. Not a problem if I'm also eating, or if we're watching something, but someone eating something near me squicks me. I have no idea why.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Believe it or not, that is often the product of lengthy negotiation.

Well, if the names have to be in some order because of stroking actors egos, they should simply put the pictures in that order! Like the stupid looking Sandler/Sandburg movie, you could just take the reverse of the picture super easy.
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Stone - my wife is an LPN (a level of nurse below RN) and we went through the same stuff when she was in nursing school. Once she finishes it will all be worth it. I promise. I'm soooo glad my wife chose such a flexible, stable career.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, if the names have to be in some order because of stroking actors egos, they should simply put the pictures in that order!
That's what Tom is getting at. When you have two stars in the movie, both want to be top billing (leftmost and topmost) in name and picture. So you compromise and one gets top billing in the pic and one in the text.

Stupid, but there you have it.

To be fair, I've only heard of something like this once, for the poster here. Where McQueen (name and pic) is leftmost but Newman is given an odd vertical boost.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic, I'm naming my first dog "Peeves" so I can introduce my dog as "My pet Peeves".
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pleased.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 12618

- posted      Profile for vegimo           Edit/Delete Post 
15 years ago I had a cat named Peeve.
Posts: 95 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Why do they always package granola bars in a box that could clearly take two more bars? It's bad enough that individually wrapped bars need a box at all, but one that is too big?

I mean, is this so hard?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.