FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Acapella group's newest video (The Maccabeats)

Author Topic: My Acapella group's newest video (The Maccabeats)
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaQSbuTiBg

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Stuff!

I love acapella music. Couldn't really catch the lyrics too well, but the song is stuck in my head now. That, and the image of a grown man voluntarily waking up to the image of Justin Bieber is forever emblazoned on my brain.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
And unless you had a studio whistler, kudos to your countertenor for that hook.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Seven Habits

+1

The story in the video is really great and really well done.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

That was me who was whistling. The rest is reverb. [Smile]

odouls, lyrics are below.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great video. What a toe-tapping song too! Great parody!

Love that the Greeks came back for a little cameo at the end! [Smile]

You guys should try out for the next season of the Sing Off. I thought I remember you talking about it before, I can't remember what came of it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
That was... amazing. I feel like every post I've been making here lately has been making me out to be a huge teary sap, but... yeah. My eyes got totally misty during that song. It was so... unrelentingly positive and wonderful.

Candlelight was catchier, but in my opinion this is one of the best songs you guys have ever done. Or at least, of those that you've posted on Hatrack.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Seriously. I get goosebumps at "Open Your Eyes."
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
This is fantastic! You guys did a terrific job.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly, I love the fact that your group is unabashedly proud of your heritage. That sort of sincerity is refreshing and evocative.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm happy to have watched that. Thanks for posting it, Armoth.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Another great video. This felt less ha ha funny, but I think that was exactly right for the song you were riffing off of.

Really enjoyed it. [Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks everyone! Always nerve-wracking to wonder how people are gonna react to a new video. Glad you all enjoy!

We poured a lot into this song, so I'm glad people are relating.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out why I'm sympathetic to your music, when I can't stand music produced by my own bent of religious philosophy.

I think it has to do with the emphasis on doing things; your latest is a prime example. Whereas much of Christian music that I've sampled is vanilla praise, where God only seems to require a couple alleluja's to be satisfied.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Love the face that the subway dude has Beats by Dre headphones.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent piece, Armoth. [Smile] To be honest, the video managed to encapsulate exactly what it might mean to live a good life -- which, to this atheist, is a pretty decent accomplishment. Congrats.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I only have one question. Bieber?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Before he opens his eyes and decides to live a good life, he has a Justin Bieber poster. I found that insightful.

[ September 23, 2011, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Before he opens his eyes and decides to live a good life, he has a Justin Beiber poster. I found that insightful.

Forsaking tween pop IS kind of a necessary prerequisite to being a good person. God can't bend on this one.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I squee'd. You guys are great, and the eight or ten men's acapella groups in my geographical area (yeah, there are probably that many) aren't even the same league.

[Hail]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by odouls268:
Good Stuff!

the image of a grown man voluntarily waking up to the image of Justin Bieber is forever emblazoned on my brain.

[ROFL] That was my favorite part.

You guys sound amazing, as always!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

The Bieber was specifically to make fun of that guy in the group who loves Bieber. He worships him. We mock him. Mercilessly. We had to borrow the poster from my 12 year old niece.

I'm glad you guys like it - we wanted it to be universal and relatable. Despite the fact that I'm a religious person, whenever anyone shoves religion in my face I always find it terribly insincere. We tried to make the examples of bad or uninspired to inspired be simple and relatable.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Put me in the teary sap category. I liked it. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Yeah, for the record Armoth, I am an atheist, and as I said before you guys managed to absolutely reach me. I agree with what Tom said.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Greeks' cameo! (Also, the song is amazing - excellent, excellent work again!)
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt like it was laden with references that I wasn't getting - I sort of held off on having an actual reaction to the message because I wasn't sure if the message depended on the context I wasn't getting. Watching it a second time I definitely appreciated it though.

I also totally loved the greeks at the end.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy your group. Thanks for sharing. Another amazing performance.
[Smile]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The Greeks are great. [Smile] Nice job on another great song and video!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I suddenly feel like I've seen a guy who looks just like Armoth on a TV show someone. The character that I'm vaguely remembering was vaguely sinister (I think it was Armoth in the suit at the beginning that triggered it).

Or maybe by now your videos have merged into my collective memecluster and I'm just getting really confused.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

People in suits do tend to be evil.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Tru-dat. Lawyers. Ugh.
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Definite thumbs up to the video! Loved it!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I marry all of you? Even if you're all far too young for me, already married, and of a different religious persuasion? Great job. :-)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Now I have this mental image of Orthodox Jewish groupies.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it! I forgot about you guys when I was teaching Religious Studies. The kids would have enjoyed it and I was always trying to show positive applications of religion in modern life.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This was absolutely fantastic. Good work!

And, may I add, I think Jewish guys are among the best-looking men on the planet.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I'm trying to figure out why I'm sympathetic to your music, when I can't stand music produced by my own bent of religious philosophy.

I think it has to do with the emphasis on doing things; your latest is a prime example. Whereas much of Christian music that I've sampled is vanilla praise, where God only seems to require a couple alleluja's to be satisfied.

I think this in large part why I feel the same way. While I do believe God is deserving of praise, and appreciates our attempting to craft words so as to express our love for him, I think he quite clearly says that our actions are the greatest form of praise we can offer.

Book of Good Life pushes that angle pretty hard, and it's refreshing. I think my favorite part of the entire song is the series of requests prefaced by the word "hopefully" each time.

"Hopefully this year will bring us happiness and peace."

"Hopefully, sensitivity to others will increase."

"Hopefully, we'll open our eyes and think more consciously"

"Hopefully, we'll go from where we are to where we want to be."

Those are all great sentiments, but strangely they are not prayed for, at least in my church meetings, nearly enough.

[ September 29, 2011, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.