FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hotels in Metro Boston area +

Author Topic: Hotels in Metro Boston area +
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Hatrackers! Long time no see! Your favorite third-world denizen Eduardo, from sunny Rio de Janeiro, is back, albeit for a short while.

My lovely wife Isabel will travel to Boston in november, so she can interview some Portuguese-American people for her Doctorate thesis (Contemporary History).
We're searching for clean but simple hotels (she'll be there for two or three weeks, I guess, and the research grant isn't very big).
I know we can find many hotels by searching online, but if some of you know of good places, post here. I'd be very glad for your help.
Oh, yes... she'd rather stay at places without too many stairs, since she has a slight disability that makes climbing stairs a bit difficult.
Again, sorry for my garbled english and thanks in advance.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed at the Back Bay hotel and the Charlesmark last time I was in boston, and I think I'm doing the Charlesmark again when I return. I don't think either has you dealing with many stairs. you could check those out.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
We stayed outside the city to get a cheaper rate. It wan't a big deal because Boston has a great metro system.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
We did this in London and also got cheaper rates. Probably a good idea, Scott R. Do you remember the place's name?
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
T system, you DC heathen!

[Wink]

Where are the interviews? Hotels in Boston are generally expensive, but if you are willing to use the T (subway), The cities of Cambridge, Somerville, Newton, Brookline and Quincy are all places that are accessible.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Another Hatracker stayed in at the Hotel Tria in Cambridge. It is in a slightly scruffy/mixed area, but it is also right by the Alewife Red Line T stop.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo:

No, alas-- it was a while ago we stayed there.

quote:
T system, you DC heathen!
I'll call it whatever you want, Bok. I wish DC's metro was as extensive as Beantown's.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Bokonon, she has a list of addresses from families who agreed to be interviewed. All in Boston Metro, but it's not just one place.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Scott: And I wish we had some of the whistles and bells of what the Metro has [Smile] (Time until next train at the platform, please!)

The Hotel Tria might be good then, if she has to drive anywhere, as it is close to a main highway out to the greater Boston metro area. And I know that Somerville has a decent Brazillian population.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.