FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Terra Nova (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Terra Nova
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. Enterprise got much better after the first season, as did TNG. It dared to be different, and it really pushed a lot of boundaries. I'm in the minority merely because a lot of the normal Star Trek fans didn't watch it. Like Parkour said, a lot of people didn't get through more than a few episodes (I still contend that it was the theme song). My wife hadn't; I made her watch it, and she became one of its most fervent supporters.

DS9? Deep Space Soap Opera? Sucked.

I'm glad someone has the guts to be mean to Big Bang Theory. It's only a little step up from Two and a Half Men.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Back to Terra Nova, it looks like it has an audience that's not falling off week-to-week -- they actually had an 8% gain over last week (not even counting DVR numbers). I hope that it can kick it up a notch. It does have potential.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way! I don't rank a single Star Trek over it.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Word. DS9 was the best Star Trek show. When it first came out I was worried that it would be boring, but then they introduced the Dominion and all of the sudden it turned into the best show on television at the time.

The best Star Trek episode ever though is still "The Inner Light" from TNG. I still tear up whenever I see it. I still contend that Picard should have won an emmy for his performance in that episode, but hey, at least the show itself did.

What is with sci-fi shows not getting the emmy cred they deserve? I can think of a couple episodes of Fringe in which John Noble deserves one. (Like this latest episode)

As for Terra Nova, this week's episode was pretty good. I am fine with these types of episodes as long as it moves the mythology and plot forward, however slowly. I was kind of let down that Mira's motivations were for her daughter though. I thought it was a kind of cop-out. I was hoping she would tell Jim that it was for a greater cause.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From Aros:

You are dead to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
We are now best friends.

Geraine -

Sci-fi, and fantasy (more with novels really) has always gotten the shaft, and always will. There's a reason why Return of the King got a billion Oscars. They saved them all up for the last movie and shafted the others intentionally, though frankly they all deserved heaps of awards. ROTK wasn't even the best one.

Battlestar Galactica was fantastic, with top notch writing, technical stuff, and acting. Next Generation deserved several awards for writing and acting, especially for Patrick Stewart. Babylon 5 deserved oodles of writing awards, and probably even a few for graphics (which suck by today's standards but were awesome in the early 90s for CGI).

DS9 had great writing, directing, acting, and in general was one of the few shows for any genre actually putting character development over plot at the time it aired. It was funny, it was dark (though they hate that description), it was realistic where TNG was clean and pressed. Almost all of TNG was philosophical issues dealt with from on high in the safety of the ship. The best episodes were the ones that took away their safety and cleanliness. Those were the rule rather than the exception on DS9.

It was awesome.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sci-fi, and fantasy (more with novels really) has always gotten the shaft, and always will. There's a reason why Return of the King got a billion Oscars. They saved them all up for the last movie and shafted the others intentionally, though frankly they all deserved heaps of awards. ROTK wasn't even the best one.

I love the LOTR movies very much. What I don't understand is how my wife hates it so much. She says the acting sucks, there is no plot, the graphics suck, and it is very campy. Of course, she didn't even get more than halfway into FOTR, because of the above reasons. She has seen clips of the others when I have watched it.

Are there others that have such polar opposite views of these movies, or is she just on the fringe. When she told me that it had no plot, I was like [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

My wife is quite smart and has good reasons for her opinions in most other cases, but I think she is just fantasy-racist in this case [Razz]

Back to topic, I thought the latest episode of Terra Nova was better, but I am still waiting for it to grab me.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:
[QUOTE] What I don't understand is how my wife hates it so much. She says the acting sucks, there is no plot, the graphics suck, and it is very campy. Of course, she didn't even get more than halfway into FOTR, because of the above reasons. She has seen clips of the others when I have watched it.

Are there others that have such polar opposite views of these movies, or is she just on the fringe. When she told me that it had no plot, I was like [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

My wife is quite smart and has good reasons for her opinions in most other cases, but I think she is just fantasy-racist in this case [Razz]

This is a good example of a few points:
- When someone hasn't actually watched something all the way through, they are a poor judge. I talked bad about the old Dune movie for years before I'd actually sat down and watched it through.
- Some things are better (or worse) in context. If you'd read all of the Star Wars novels, you'd have a different view of the movies. Same with Game of Thrones, Dune, etc. Someone invested in a genre will have a much different reaction. Genres rely on tropes, yes, but themes are also at play. I have an aversion to both sports and military themed movies.
- Many shows / movies are tainted by your mood when watching. Some movies I only recommend people to watch when they're bored, because that's frankly the only time they'll enjoy them. Do you really want to watch Mad Men on a Friday night after you've been drinking? Or would you rather watch Starship Troopers?

It's interesting. I knew a few people who never gave Enterprise a chance, who really ended up liking it later. I didn't have time to keep up with the linear storyline on DS9, so I didn't enjoy it (when I tried to rewatch years later, I found that it didn't age super-well).

Should you stick through a bad show because it gets good later? TNG, Enterprise, Fringe, Sarah Connor, and Dollhouse are all examples of shows that didn't hit their stride until the second or third season. I'd argue that they still have value, however. They can't all be Firefly. As for the LOTR -- bribe her to watch all three.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:
[QUOTE] What I don't understand is how my wife hates it so much. She says the acting sucks, there is no plot, the graphics suck, and it is very campy. Of course, she didn't even get more than halfway into FOTR, because of the above reasons. She has seen clips of the others when I have watched it.

This is a good example of a few points:
- When someone hasn't actually watched something all the way through, they are a poor judge. I talked bad about the old Dune movie for years before I'd actually sat down and watched it through.
- Some things are better (or worse) in context. If you'd read all of the Star Wars novels, you'd have a different view of the movies. Same with Game of Thrones, Dune, etc. Someone invested in a genre will have a much different reaction. Genres rely on tropes, yes, but themes are also at play. I have an aversion to both sports and military themed movies.
- Many shows / movies are tainted by your mood when watching. Some movies I only recommend people to watch when they're bored, because that's frankly the only time they'll enjoy them. Do you really want to watch Mad Men on a Friday night after you've been drinking? Or would you rather watch Starship Troopers?

It's interesting. I knew a few people who never gave Enterprise a chance, who really ended up liking it later. I didn't have time to keep up with the linear storyline on DS9, so I didn't enjoy it (when I tried to rewatch years later, I found that it didn't age super-well).

Should you stick through a bad show because it gets good later? TNG, Enterprise, Fringe, Sarah Connor, and Dollhouse are all examples of shows that didn't hit their stride until the second or third season. I'd argue that they still have value, however. They can't all be Firefly. As for the LOTR -- bribe her to watch all three.

It's kind of hard to bribe someone when you share a joint bank account.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
They can't all be Firefly.

Every time someone mentions Firefly, I die a little more inside.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly firefly firefly!

It's like clapping for tinkerbell in reverse!

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
This would be more fun to watch if you were dying on the outside.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

A bribe doesn't have to be in cash. (Get your mind out of the gutter!)

I got my wife to watch Hellraiser 2 on a bribe. In return, I watched Rocky Horror. Guess who got nightmares!?!? (Hint: It was me.)

Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
Firefly firefly firefly!

It's like clapping for tinkerbell in reverse!

You......You really hate me that much? [Cry]
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't have time to keep up with the linear storyline on DS9, so I didn't enjoy it (when I tried to rewatch years later, I found that it didn't age super-well).

I was all set to jump on the bandwagon giving you crap for badmouthing DS9 (Because you deserve it) but I have to say I can actually sort of accept this reason. DS9 relies a little less on episodic storytelling and a little more on... actual storytelling in the vein of shows that came later (was the increasing trend of this vastly superior method determined more okay due to DVR or what? I've never owned a DVR so the thought didn't occur to me.)

When I first watched DS9 I missed a lot of episodes and had a hard time with it. Later, I watched it on DVD and it was great. Some aspects haven't aged well but that didn't detract from it for me.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.