FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Skyrim Thread (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Skyrim Thread
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else have a glitchy dragon which just randomly flies around (often backwards) and won't land or engage around Mistwatch? Stop the danger music, there is no peril here!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
game still broken, modded working hotkey sets not in, still waiting to play
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the mod dev kit will be released in January. I think I might stop playing until then.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Anyone else have a glitchy dragon which just randomly flies around (often backwards) and won't land or engage around Mistwatch? Stop the danger music, there is no peril here!

When I first met

Parthanax

he did this weird thing flying backwards into the sky indefinitely. While in dialogue, he kept going until he was a speck in the sky and I couldn't hear him.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah he did the same thing to me! Until I back out of the conversation. Then he landed and acted like nothing had happened.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The 1.2 patch has caused backwards dragons.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

I have an unpatched game, so the backwards dragon problem (at least Re: Paarthurnax) is not unique to 1.2
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the dragons don't have a good place to land or don't see anything they want to attack, so they eventually leave. Or I chase them down and take their souls. Whichever.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
This game is awesome.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally have a PC that can play Skyrim, and my PS3 recently died for the third time. No more reflows for it. I put it in the trash. I got the PC version for Skyrim and am enjoying the improved graphics. I do miss the controller, but that's about the only thing I miss from the PS3 version.

Definitely a cool game.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Thread necromancy, but I bought Skyrim on the recent Steam sale. No way was I going to spend 60 bucks on it when it came out, but getting the game for 8 bucks was a no-brainer.

I am liking the game a lot so far, but I'm afraid I am having "altitis". I have started a whole bunch of characters, but am just not sure what to stick with and play up all the way. This is a common problem for me in RP games like this. I've played the intro and the Bleak Falls Barrow quest at least five times already.

My farthest character is a Wood Elf archer/sneak. Which has been fun so far. But I keep thinking that maybe playing a mage would be more interesting.

I started a female Nord mage, and played it for a bit before I started reading tips and guide threads. Such threads led me to realize that the Nord race is the very worst one for a mage, having all their bonuses in combat skills.

But how big of a deal is it to start with a 15 in destruction as opposed to 25 like a dark elf? So far I haven't gotten a good feel for how much that matters. If it just means the beginning of the game is harder, and I'll eventually catch up, that's fine with me. But if it means that I'll be gimping myself through the entire play-through, that's another story.

I tried starting a dark elf spell caster for the 25 stat, but I just couldn't get into it. I prefer the look of Nord females, and I enjoy the feeling of fighting for my character's homeland...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think ultimately the game lets you get away with whatever build you go for. If you can get your mind to accept that mechanically your Nord mage isn't optimized or even competitive then you should have fun.

For me personally it would drive me nuts knowing my racials don't synch with what my class does.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
If you can get your mind to accept that mechanically your Nord mage isn't optimized or even competitive then you should have fun.
I am fine with my character not being optimized. But what does it mean that they aren't "even competitive"?

If it means that I'll often wish I was playing a build that didn't suck, then no, I am not okay with that. But if it just means that a different character can clear content 10% faster or something, then who cares.

What I need help with, I suppose, is knowing just how much better a DarkElf/HighElf/Breton is than a Nord at being a mage. And if a Nord mage is going to be fun or if it'd be frustrating.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

The skill modifiers are ultimately not a huge deal. You can still get to 100 in the magic schools you want. The permanent active and passive abilities (e.g. Cold resist) are somewhat more so.

So if you weren't picking a race with a relevant permanent buff (Altmer or maybe Breton, basically. Dunmer racials don't help magicking directly) anyway then you might as well go Nord.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, it looks like I missed out on the $8 deal. I still don't want to pay $30, because I'm sure I won't end up playing it enough.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Once I maxed out destruction, summoning, smithing, enchanting and light armor I was basically immortal. I started playing with heavy weapons and armor for fun, because it was so hard to hurt me anyway through the maxed out armor and enchantments. So it doesn't matter that one alt is this, or another is that, just play one and put time into any skill you want or need at one time and you can pretty much be all the things.

The Dragonborn content was fun, but the civil war was lacking. I had to realize that I had finished it all, because nothing had changed in any way that matters and I was expecting something more drastic. Like the destruction of the bomb town in Fallout 3, you made a choice and lived with it. Skyrims war ended with a whimper not a yell.

I found the house dlc to be lacking, but I would have probably appreciated having it to use and build up over the course of overall game rather than a half a morning project to see the features several weeks after Skyrim had left my disc drive.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
If you can get your mind to accept that mechanically your Nord mage isn't optimized or even competitive then you should have fun.
I am fine with my character not being optimized. But what does it mean that they aren't "even competitive"?

I just meant that if two Xaviers were playing the two builds identically, the optimized build would outpace the suboptimal one.

As I said, the game lets you get away with builds, I would fully expect a Nord Mage to be able to get through the entire game without any real difficulty.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier,

quote:
If it means that I'll often wish I was playing a build that didn't suck, then no, I am not okay with that. But if it just means that a different character can clear content 10% faster or something, then who cares.

What I need help with, I suppose, is knowing just how much better a DarkElf/HighElf/Breton is than a Nord at being a mage. And if a Nord mage is going to be fun or if it'd be frustrating.

Some of this depends on the difficulty level. In Skyrim (and most Bethesda games, if memory serves) difficulty level is entirely based on 'they hit harder, you hit softer'. So for example a Breton's...I forget the term now, racial ability includes a flat magic resistance and a once-daily major short boost to magic resistance.

If you're playing on normal and more or less skilled at these style games, lacking that bonus won't make much difference-especially since as a mage you'll be able to level up two different skills (one spell school, one item creation) to emulate exactly that ability. So having a Nord's frost resistance won't be as good as a Breton's magic resistance, but it'll still be handy (lots of things do frost).

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The point value for the skills you start with is almost completely irrelevant. Most racials are completely irrelevant and you will rarely ever use them, especially if your game is unmodded and it's too much work to tab over to, say, Ancestor's Wrath in the middle of a fight.

Many are only somewhat relevant (i.e., Dunmer fire resistance and Nord frost resistance are both very helpful when fighting their respective half of all dragons) and only a scant few elements of your race really do seriously matter so much as to make that race clearly better.

Every race works for anything you want to do with it. Only two races have a 'competitive' 'optimized' advantage I would ever really care about. Beyond that, every race is competitive.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Thanks guys. At least now my indecision is better informed [Smile] .
Samprimary
Member # 8561

for the curious, only Altmer or Breton come packing noteworthy "optimized" character enhancements. Breton's stock 25% magic resistance is nuts, and Altmer give you, to start, the equivalent of spending five levels on Madjecdkjicka increases
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Darn, it looks like I missed out on the $8 deal. I still don't want to pay $30, because I'm sure I won't end up playing it enough.

There's going to be another winter sale later in the year. Either that or very early next year.

From what I've heard, the sale prices will be identical to the one that just passed.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.