Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are there any hard and fast guidlines... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are there any hard and fast guidlines...
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...for when use of the word "moron" is considered acceptable?

UNACCEPTABLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. Disparaging another poster.)

ACCEPTABLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
No, it's yours, for being a moron. JB doesn't just delete things for fun, you know. I'd take HIS word over yours, and I don't doubt it deserved deleting.

My removed post contained the phrase "insensitive m....". Perhaps "insensitive" is the
hot-button word. Or is it because Kwea's post flattered JB?

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, boy. Okay, look, I get the point of the question, but really, don't be surprised if there's a lot of variance in "moderator consistency" because the forum has no real rules. This goes back to the issue where Hatrack still pretends to use "the ToS" or "Behave like you are in the owner's living room" as clear guidelines for behavior. But that's extremely old, so I'll avoid explaining them in detail unless someone specifically cares to ask for clarification.
Posts: 14235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sam...

Can you clarify what "Behaving like you are in the owner's living room" would look like?

Posts: 1568 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You use the outermost fork for shrimp, the middle fork for salad, and the last fork for the main dish.
Posts: 9655 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would depend entirely on my relation to the person, what they were saying to me or about me, and be entirely different from an abstract commitment to act as if I were in that physical location when interacting in a place where the concept of Living Room Decorum is mostly irrelevant once anybody anywhere stops believing in it.

But for the most part, I wouldn't put my feet up on the furniture.

Posts: 14235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about an ottoman?
Posts: 9655 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And isn't "ottoman" just a fancy word for "any piece of available furniture?"
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, wait, this is an ottoman??? Oh man I've been a terrible guest for years!
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was an ottoman.
Posts: 2203 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Nooo that's an Ottoman! Proper noun, man!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dobbie: You may have missed the slightly more subtle but nonetheless plausible alternative explanation that I didn't see Kwea's post. Also, the rest of your post no longer exists to make the comparison more useful.

If your post consists of only.

"You're a complete moron."

You will likely get the axe. If your post is,

"blah blah blah functions as the blah blah blah in this discussion of blah blah blah. How can you dispute the truth of this blah blah blah. You must be a moron."

Then I will most likely attempt to remove the offending stuff, and try to salvage what remains of the post.

But hey, you are welcome to try denigrating other posters, while simultaneously praising me as moderator. You won't get much mileage I'm sure, but hey, nobody has yet to try.

Posts: 14278 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

See everyone, that's why you're all idiots. BlackBlade schooled your dumb asses! Everyone on this forum is a loser except for him.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Oh crap, and me. I'm also not a loser, I mean. Despite what I said up there, I'm awesome. Obviously.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Oh crap, and me. I'm also not a loser, I mean. Despite what I said up there, I'm awesome. Obviously.

Only a complete moron would put himself in the same league as BB.

It takes a big, big man to admit he isn't as good as BB. And I am that big man.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
Hey Sam...

Can you clarify what "Behaving like you are in the owner's living room" would look like?

There is only one way to find out. Mr. Card needs to have us all over for tea.
Posts: 1889 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/whats-not-on-the-mormon-menu.html
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I....I don't think he can. Herbal "tea," maybe.
Posts: 36954 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Dobbie: You may have missed the slightly more subtle but nonetheless plausible alternative explanation that I didn't see Kwea's post.

You've obviously seen it now.

quote:
Also, the rest of your post no longer exists to make the comparison more useful.

Seriously?

quote:
If your post is,

"blah blah blah functions as the blah blah blah in this discussion of blah blah blah. How can you dispute the truth of this blah blah blah. You must be a moron."

Then I will most likely attempt to remove the offending stuff, and try to salvage what remains of the post.

Kwea's post was, in essence, "I don't know what you said but you're a moron for saying it."

quote:

...praising me as moderator. You won't get much mileage I'm sure, but hey, nobody has yet to try.

I won't be doing that.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Don't be such a tealitist, Tom. Some herbal teas aren't utterly terrible!
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Good or bad, they're still not really tea.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Dobbie, you're known for doing so much and putting so much of yourself out there it's really stunning that you won't be doing that. Have you reconsidered? It just seems so unlike you!
Posts: 16426 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dobbie:
quote:
You've obviously seen it now.

You are right, I'll see to fixing it some time hopefully today.

quote:
Seriously?

Yes seriously.

quote:
Kwea's post was, in essence, "I don't know what you said but you're a moron for saying it."

I don't break posts down into their essences when editing.

quote:
I won't be doing that
Then why are you asking about my moderating? It's clear you don't expect I'll do the right thing.
Posts: 14278 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/whats-not-on-the-mormon-menu.html

quote:

"The Mormon commitment to good health usually makes an impression."

The impression my cousin's wife's cooking makes on me is: wow, this woman is a huge fan of refined sugars, refined flowers, and all things high in cholesterol and fat. I think the menu the last time I visited their house was: Salad with ranch dressing, cheese, and bacon. Fried ham in a sugar syrup with pineapple, hamburgers, and baked potatoes.

But we didn't get a coffee after dinner because that would be unhealthy. [Big Grin]

Dobbie
Member # 3881

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I don't break posts down into their essences when editing.

So you really expect to see a post sometime that literally says:
quote:

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Well, when you've been reading religious debates for a few hours,
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Dobbie:
quote:
So you really expect to see a post sometime that literally says...
I'm not sure what you are asking. I don't glaze over posts looking for pejoratives. When a post is reported, I read the entire thing. If I happen on it while just viewing the forum I reread the entire post.

My writing "blah blah blah" was to create substantial text that is couching the offending stuff, but I didn't want to just make something plausible up because it'd be a waste of energy.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waste of energy...wouldn't want *that*!
Posts: 16426 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_   Email Stone_Wolf_         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question for you Dobbie...did you whistle Kwea's post?
Posts: 5087 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Whistle?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_   Email Stone_Wolf_         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Report Post" with a blowing whistle icon next to it under each and every post...it's how we let BB know that we are offended by a post or a post is inappropriate.
Posts: 5087 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Of course not.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

If you didn't report the post, why are you complaining about how nothing was done about it?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Because he's Dobbie, and this sort of thing is his thing.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Is this your kind of thing Dobbie? Complaining when others don't do their work, while at the same time being unwilling to do your part to help? (really asking)
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

(I actually meant screwing around with people on the forum, but that's an interesting question!)
Dobbie
Member # 3881

I have no interest in seeing Kwea's post deleted. My issue is with other posts, mine included, being deleted unfairly.

chutzpah [(khoot-spuh, hoot-spuh)]
(noun)
1.That quality enshrined in a man who, having killed his mother and father, throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan.
2.That quality enshrined in a moderator who, having deleted a post, claims "the rest of your post no longer exists to make the comparison more useful."

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

How would you go about suggesting he make a comparison, then?

I mean I realize that's not your thing-making helpful, relevant suggestions-but give it a shot! Anyway, I doubt very much you actually have an 'issue' with this-that you care about it. In fact I think it's more likely you're grateful, because this gives you something to complain about and make some zingers on!

Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait...he's made zingers?
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyway, I doubt very much you actually have an 'issue' with this-that you care about it. In fact I think it's more likely you're grateful, because this gives you something to complain about and make some zingers on!
Seriously. You should be counting your blessings that JB hasn't banned you yet. I very much doubt anyone would question his decision if he did.
Posts: 10134 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I have no interest in seeing Kwea's post deleted. My issue is with other posts, mine included, being deleted unfairly.

(noun)
1.That quality enshrined in a man who, having killed his mother and father, throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan.
2.That quality enshrined in a moderator who, having deleted a post, claims "the rest of your post no longer exists to make the comparison more useful."

Chutzpah doesn't enter into it. I read your post, decided it needed to go, and so it is gone. There is no record of it that I can retrieve to defend my decisions. If you had an issue with it, you would need to respond sooner.

If your post is whistled then I do retain a record of it.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(noun)
1. That quality enshrined in a man who, after being permanently banned from a forum, harasses the current moderator of that forum from behind his new username.

Posts: 5646 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, I don't know about that. Chutzpah usually implies (as I understand it) some actual gutsiness of some sort, y'know? Not the kind that prods people from the total, uninhibited safety of the Internet.

Mouthing off to the cop who busted you for DUI and thus lost your license after you got it back much later, that might be chutzpah-stupid, though. (Heh, strangely that comparison ended up being more apt than I thought when I started it!

Dobbie
Member # 3881

"Harasses the current moderator"?

I never once even mentioned the moderator directly or indirectly until I started this thread less than 48 hours ago. Since that time I have replied 8 times (including this reply).

Two of those posts were about tea/herbal tea, and had absolutely nothing to do with the moderator or his actions.

Two were in response to Stone_Wolf's question.

One was a response to a post by the moderator.

Some harrasment.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

You wanted to know why your post got axed and a very similar one didn't...because BB happened to spot yours, and not Kwea's...and no one (including yourself) whistled his.

Now you know, and and knowing is half the battle.

If this thread is simply seeking an answer, it served it's purpose...if it was to whine about unfair treatment, well, then I doubt you are satisfied.

So...ball is in your court.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I hit a nerve Dobie? Seems like someone who gives it out as much as you do would be less sensitive.
Posts: 5646 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
(noun)
1. That quality enshrined in a man who, after being permanently banned from a forum, harasses the current moderator of that forum from behind his new username.

What "man"? Child, perhaps.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

Ok, so make an argument that the post was deleted unfairly!
Dobbie
Member # 3881

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
You wanted to know why your post got axed and a very similar one didn't...because BB happened to spot yours, and not Kwea's...and no one (including yourself) whistled his.

If your argument held water Kwea's post would no longer exist by now, and it still does.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

What Samp said.

Also, BB said "hopefully today" yesterday...he has to moderate the whole site as well as presumably have a life, and yet you feel it is appropriate to expect instant results but won't take the time to even click the "Report Post" button.

Get over it already.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

If your argument held water Kwea's post would no longer exist by now, and it still does.
His post was modified a little earlier today.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.