FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Occupied Wall Street for Dummies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Occupied Wall Street for Dummies
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I get that you don't agree with me on the results. That's why you vote the way you do and I vote the way I do. That's okay! [Smile]

But what I'm saying is that a company trying to make it easier for corporations and their shareholders a lot of money is, in this context, synonymous with a company fighting for deregulation and a more free-market economy. Yes/No?

Whereas a company trying to specifically make X Company (say the Kochs) more money could just as easily be trying to get the government to shut down the Kochs' competitors, or securing lucrative government contracts for the Kochs, or otherwise doing things that I think you and I both agree are shady and wrong.

I think that the goal of groups like the Cato Institute is the former, not the latter. And there is nothing clandestine or nefarious about this. They are quite open about being a libertarian-minded free-market organization.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you have a case for the Cato Institute but not so much for AFP.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that wanting to make it easier for corporations and their shareholders to make a lot of money is a very different goal than wanting to specifically make the Kochs a lot of money. Do you agree?

I don't see how this can be called a very different goal. Just a question of the qualifier, the two are linked.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I illuminated in my following post how I feel they are very different goals, or at least how they can be. As in, accomplished through damn near opposite methods.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.