FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bad movies, good scores? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bad movies, good scores?
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Though two of my favorite scores, Jurassic Park and Braveheart, are outstanding regardless of how great the movies were.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the scores for Spitfire Grille (James Horner) and Black Beauty (Danny Elfman). Never seen the films.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tron: Legacy only makes sense if you view the whole thing as one big music video for Daft Punk's soundtrack.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The New Moon soundtrack is one of my all-time favorites.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the song "More". Mondo Cane is not my kind of film.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
'The Village' by M. Night Whatever. The film is pretty awful. The score is absolutely beautiful.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The score was as flat as a pancake. 4 movies in, John Williams' studio phoned in a bombastic, pointless piece of cheese... sort of like they've been doing for 20 years. That's what you get when you hire a bunch of 23 year old USC film scoring students who just want to go along to get along.

That's just my theory, I don't even know who actually worked on it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The score was as flat as a pancake. 4 movies in, John Williams' studio phoned in a bombastic, pointless piece of cheese... sort of like they've been doing for 20 years. That's what you get when you hire a bunch of 23 year old USC film scoring students who just want to go along to get along.

That's just my theory, I don't even know who actually worked on it.

Jeez, you're right. I just figured that if Williams wrote it . . . it had to be better than the movie. And though it does have the Raiders theme (which IS awesome, though cheesy), the rest is almost as bad as the flick.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, Williams hasn't written much in a couple of decades. I won't say he's a scam artist. But he's participating in something that looks to me, as a composer, like a scam.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
I think Tron: Legacy only makes sense if you view the whole thing as one big music video for Daft Punk's soundtrack.

And how many other film scores can you name which have also warranted a remix album?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread is about movies, but I'll mention a television show here. I like the scoring for ABC's Once Upon A Time. But I don't like the show.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, Williams hasn't written much in a couple of decades. I won't say he's a scam artist. But he's participating in something that looks to me, as a composer, like a scam.

I've noticed his scores just don't hook like they used to. I think the last time I saw a movie where the theme stuck with me afterwards was Inception.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did win a Grammy. But Williams hasn't really rocked it since Episode I.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded for Inception...I heard the soundtrack before I saw the movie, on the radio, and was blown away by it...and the movie was okay.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked almost all of the music in August Rush, but didn't really care for the movie at all. It wasn't really a soundtrack per se, since it had a lot of non-original music, but I liked the original songs, and I think the Kaki King numbers were original too, written for the film.

Most of my favorite scores are for movies and shows I also really, really like. Gladiator, How to Train Your Dragon, Gettysburg, Glory, Les Choristes, Avatar TLA, Battlestar Galactica, Pirates of the Caribbean (in bits and pieces...some of it sucked), Inception.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister really likes the music from Troy and plays it a lot where I can here it so now I like it too. Watching the actual movie was pretty awful though.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Ack, I hated that score. James Horner is, in my opinion, the supreme hack of symphonic film music. Forget Williams, forget everyone.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, what movie scores do you like?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Shrek 1 and 2 include good music, but I'm not sure I'd call it scored.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Orincoro, what movie scores do you like?

Lots. It happens a couple of my most hated were mentioned.

Some personal favorites are There WIll be Blood, by Johnny Greenwood, Nick Cave's The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Christopher Young's Rounders (parts of it- others are too kitschy), I like a lot of the work of Tomas Newman and Hans Zimmer, though not all of it by any stretch (for instance, loved American Beauty, hated Cinderella Man). I like some work by Eliot Goldenthal, such as Public Enemies, which has in my opinion one or two of the all time best passages of film score ever conceived.

Rarely though do I associate the greatest film scoring with the biggest budget films. It also has a great deal to do with the director and the editor- a score can be fantastic on paper, and a film can ruin it, or elevate it. For instance, the editing of James Horner's "score" for Avatar turned the gripping brass passages into stupefyingly dull drones by jump-cutting back to the same motif over and over, and over again. I say "score," only because it's unclear to me how much new material that score actually contained- the primary motifs had already appeared in previous films.

Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas, both Williams' collaborators, are both very conservative when it comes to mixing, even though both are typically exceptional at sound. I find this often suits William's scores, which are, if anything, incapable of any degree of intimacy or real tension.

But as I said, a film can elevate a score as well. Spike Lee turns a workmanlike score by Terence Blanchard (which otherwise sounds like a very self-conscious reflection on Carter Burwell's Fargo) into one of my all time favorites.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
James Horner is, in my opinion, the supreme hack of symphonic film music.

I actually own the soundtrack for Glory on tape from when the movie first came out.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Independence Day, David Arnold. Love it. The movie is laughably bad, but it's still a guilty pleasure.

Stargate is a great one, too. Can't remember the composer at the moment.

I love overtures, in general, now that I think about it. They make me happy.

(edit: Hah! Just remembered Arnold did Stargate, too. That's probably why it came to mind.)

[ January 06, 2012, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: rollainm ]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't thinking of this at first, but this thread reminded me of one of my favorite soundtracks, which is Peter Gabriel's score for The Rabbit-Proof Fence.

I found it in a bargain bin many years ago and bought it on a whim. It took a while to grow on me, but it eventually became one of my favorite albums. It's more than the collection of cues that many soundtracks are. He re-worked it for the CD, and the structure of the album make the already excellent music a totally immersive experience.

I didn't really know much about the movie aside from what I could infer from the liner notes and the track titles. But over several years of listening to it, I built up an impossibly grand imaginary film in my head to accompany the music.

Eventually Netflix came along, and one day I decided to finally watch The Rabbit-Proof Fence. It was a pretty good movie. But it fell so dramatically short of the movie I'd imagined it to be that I was crushingly disappointed when it ended.

It's still one of my favorite soundtracks. But there's a certain irony in a movie being ruined by the score being too good. I probably would have liked the film better if James Horner had done the music. Never thought I'd say that.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the score for Monsoon Wedding. The movie is not too shabby either, but the music outshines it.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graeme
Member # 12543

- posted      Profile for Graeme           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Basil Poledouris' score for Conan The Barbarian; I think the movie is great, too, but the score by itself is a cinematic experience.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ack, I hated that score. James Horner is, in my opinion, the supreme hack of symphonic film music. Forget Williams, forget everyone.
While that may be true of some of his material, he has done some genuinely great stuff. Spitfire Grille, as I mentioned above, as well as Willow, Legends of the Fall, Apollo 13, and Land Before Time. Each of those, IMHO, are fantastic stand alone listens.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Not from a bad movie but rather from a forgotten (though excellent) movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6MIb5QR8R0

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Another great Horner soundtrack (from a bad movie): KRULL.

I love Legend, but objectively it's not a great movie. Anyway, great soundtrack.

But yeah, Tron Legacy would have to be the most dramatic case of (soundtrack)>>(movie).

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

All Dario Argento movies (even the not-so-great ones) have awesome soundtracks provided by GOBLIN.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
Another great Horner soundtrack (from a bad movie): KRULL.

I love Legend, but objectively it's not a great movie. Anyway, great soundtrack.

But yeah, Tron Legacy would have to be the most dramatic case of (soundtrack)>>(movie).

I loved Krull.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I admit to owning and listening to the Tron: Legacy score by Daft Punk in my car just because I think the music is pretty great (despite the obvious dramatic flair presumably contributed by Hans Zimmer's involvement in the music).
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hours
Candyman
The Da Vinci Code
The Village

There's also another column for movies that were only good because of the music.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

There's a sense in which I love Krull, too.
Destineer
Member # 821

I certainly love saying the word 'Krull' over and over. In fact, I'm doing it now.
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
There's also another column for movies that were only good because of the music.
I waffle about whether Passion of the Christ belongs in that category, or in the category of bad movies with good soundtracks.
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple people have mentioned it already, but, the Villiage was a phenominal soundtrack.

Mediocre movie. Though, I do enjoy it because the trees are pretty.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the soundtracks I'd mention are already here, so I'll cover some sure to be less popular choices (woo Zimmer on most of them I guess).

Waterworld - Amazing percussion on the tracks, and somewhat unusual instruments (IE not the typical orchestra types).
Crimson Tide - Go brass!
The Peacemaker - Also go brass!

Also I recall Beyond Rangoon very enjoyable (very low-key for Zimmer). Gladiator was about the turning point my opinion of Zimmer's scores. As mentioned above, it was very inconsistent, more bleh than good. And if you really want to play in some love-it or hate-it soundtracks, I immensely enjoy the soundtrack to Blackhawk Down.

Oh, and by no means a bad movie (very good one actually), but [i]The Incredibles]/i] score is really fun.

Edited: Repeatedly.

[ January 10, 2012, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

quote:
Originally posted by Taalcon:
quote:
While that may be true of some of his material, he has done some genuinely great stuff. Spitfire Grille, as I mentioned above, as well as Willow, Legends of the Fall, Apollo 13, and Land Before Time. Each of those, IMHO, are fantastic stand alone listens.
Again, I reference Braveheart.
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
The recent remake of 3:10 to Yuma was pretty good and kept my attention throughout, but it would have been pretty forgettable if not for an amazing sequence at the end. I won't provide spoilers, but this song mixed with the context of the scene made for one of the most memorable movie moments I've had.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

Also, I forgot to mention. Cowboy Bebop has a friggin' awesome soundtrack. My favorite moment, I think, is the le feau (sp?) episode, and the sequence where it's showing his flashback. The seatbelts played a cover of "On the Run" there, and it was awesome.
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

The Mission was not a great film (although not bad). But it had an amazing Ennio Morricone score.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I like The Mission quite a bit, but I agree it's not going to push everybody's buttons. But the score is incredible.

Love Affair is a dumpy movie, but the soundtrack is really good.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, The Mission. I'd forgotten about that movie. I LOVED the score but somewhere in the passage of time the CD got pushed to the back of the pile. I'll have to pull it out again.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Mission was not a great film (although not bad). But it had an amazing Ennio Morricone score.

I love the opening scene of that movie. Good movie, amazing score. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

Also, I totally forgot that this was about bad things, and bad movies in particular. As I don't think Cowboy BeBop is bad, I am a silly poster.
Destineer
Member # 821

Maybe I should watch it again (The Mission). I liked some aspects of it very well, but I thought it had some very boring stretches.
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
A large number of video games and anime are scored by Yoko Kanno. I haven't seen a whole lot of anime in general so I'm sure some of it is mediocre, but her music is pure gold and IMO you can't go wrong with any of it. I highly recommend Wolf's Rain OST 2, I never get tired of listening to it. This is probably my favorite track, specifically the flute, piano and string arrangement from 1:36 to 2:43.

[ January 15, 2012, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Misha McBride ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Sousei no Aquarion series didn't work for me at all, but the collaboration between Yoko Kanno and another composer made for some awesome electric/traditional instrumentation, particularly this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFruaQFardA
1:48 it gets going.

I have more, but it's snowing outside! WEE!

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, maybe I should go back and watch The Mission too.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Since the topic is drifting, Yasunori Mitsuda wrote absolutely gorgeous music for the games Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I daresay the songs in Chrono Cross taken as a whole, may be the greatest video game soundtrack ever written.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.