FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Komen for the Cure, Planned Parenthood, and the end of Pink (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Komen for the Cure, Planned Parenthood, and the end of Pink
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are the monies given to PP for breast cancer screenings fungible?
Yes.
quote:
Or are they earmarked and untouchable for any other reason?
Yes.

Komen earmarks the funds and performs audits, but in real life it's not that straightforward. By providing this funding, Komen is effectively increasing the size of the Planned Parenthood organization - more services provided + more money provided to perform those services = more employees, larger facilities, more operating hours, etc. This is puts Planned Parenthood in a position from which they can better provide *all* of their services.

For example, Planned Parenthood might not be able to afford/justify a reproductive health center in a given city for any number of reasons, but with Komen's help they can afford a breast screening/reproductive health center. They keep the funds separate and provide documentation showing that Komen is only paying for the breast screening portion of the operation, but without Komen the reproductive health portion wouldn't even exist.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe those weren't directed at me, but, yes, I do understand the definition and implications of fungibility. That's pretty much my point.

That is, Dan's suggestion that describing this money as being "for mammograms" is deliberately manipulative seems to me to necessarily rest on the expectation that most people would not understand this pretty basic concept. Based on my understanding of Dan's views, this strikes me as an oddly dissonant thing for him to believe. So, I was hoping he would explain how he saw it as manipulative.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.