FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Banned Folks (A Question For The Forum) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Banned Folks (A Question For The Forum)
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten enough queries that I feel this warrants a discussion. Is it necessary for there to be a mechanism whereby the board is informed when a poster is banned?

Currently people when they are ultimately banned are simply blocked from posting again, and I mention they are banned if somebody asks. Otherwise, I don't talk about it here. I recognize this basically keeps the forum in the dark until somebody starts wondering where a poster is. Not the most elegant solution, but when I consider alternatives they don't strike me as very useful. Maybe it isn't necessary to do things differently.

What do you folks think, and do you think this matter should be handled differently? Perhaps a thread where if somebody is banned, I merely add a post with the posters name would work?

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think it'd lead to more controversy than anyone really wants.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Currently people when they are ultimately banned are simply blocked from posting again, and I mention they are banned if somebody asks. Otherwise, I don't talk about it here.

That sounds like a great policy.

quote:
Is it necessary for there to be a mechanism whereby the board is informed when a poster is banned?

No. That's a terrible idea.

quote:
Perhaps a thread where if somebody is banned, I merely add a post with the posters name would work?
You could mail them a scarlet "B" as well. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I just want to point out how hard it was for me to resist the urge to make a new username called The Scarlet B and post in this thread, but I resisted it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey whatever happened to Baldar?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
He changed his name to Noemon.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sort've indifferent to whether anything special is done to notify the community about banned posters.

Though I did think of something that might be useful and wouldn't be that hard to do at all, though it would necessitate mucking around in the ubb backend. The idea I had was to add a little designation that you as the moderator could check off whenever someone is banned, and next to their name on any of their posts still present on the site it would display a little "banned" icon.

That way anybody reading old threads would immediately know the poster was banned, and it might even conceivably save people the effort of responding to banned posters either immediately after they're banned, or well after on the occasions that old threads are bumped.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
it would necessitate mucking around in the ubb backend.
I don't see anything requiring this realistically happening on this board.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know. It's an incredibly simple modification, but I understand why it'd be unlikely to happen.

edit - that is not a comment directed to you as moderator BB. I just know hatrack isn't the type of forum to engage in those types of modifications.

[ May 03, 2012, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way it's currently handled.

You're a great mod BB.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've gotten enough queries that I feel this warrants a discussion. Is it necessary for there to be a mechanism whereby the board is informed when a poster is banned?

Absolutely not. I say that not to make any sort of demand or even imply that I could, but only to indicate that I think it's definitely not necessary or even desirable.

You're one of the only people who actually knows how often the question comes up, but as for what (probably, unless there are many emails to you about this) brought this topic up now, it was entirely due to a thread started by someone lying about how much they missed Lisa, 'mourning' her absence. So it would seem the need for this knowledge isn't really out there.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Leave things as they are. But if someone wants to make a Hatrack banned member wiki on the site, it could be fun.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Currently people when they are ultimately banned are simply blocked from posting again, and I mention they are banned if somebody asks. Otherwise, I don't talk about it here.
That sounds like a great policy.

quote:
Is it necessary for there to be a mechanism whereby the board is informed when a poster is banned?

No. That's a terrible idea.

Completely agree with Porter on this.

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
But if someone wants to make a Hatrack banned member wiki on the site, it could be fun.

Almost as much fun as yanking out my fingernails with hot pliers!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Sounds like a really great Friday night. [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason I'd suggest informing people is that it might be instructional for people to know specifically what someone did to get them tossed. Helps to set boundaries.

But honestly I don't care. People get banned so rarely that most of us always have a pretty good idea why someone would get banned when they do. If there were more people here, I'd be on board with a change.

Keep doing what you're doing BB.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wish there was a way to let people know, because I don't like the uncertainty of a formerly active poster just disappearing. But I can't think of a good way to do it, so... *shrug*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Sounds like a really great Friday night. [Razz]
You're no longer allowed to visit.

At least not on Fridays.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Actually I guess I don't know what the difference is between saying something when it happens and saying something when people ask. I wouldn't keep a separate thread for it and bump it, but maybe put a post in the last thread they were posting in?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Oh, rivka. You just don't want me to know that's what you do on Fridays, do you? [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

Turn my fingers into bloody stumps for Shabbos?

Wrong religion, for sure.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'll make sure to visit on Tuesdays instead.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone feel like our sweeping things under the rug makes it feel less like a community of posters?
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I'll make sure to visit on Tuesdays instead.

I'll pencil you in, once I stop the bleeding.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'll bring the gauze. [Cool]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Does anyone feel like our sweeping things under the rug makes it feel less like a community of posters?

I don't feel like we're sweeping things under the rug.

I think it's more that we're trying to avoid picking at a scab.

Armoth
Member # 4752

I didn't even know there was a scab. and Lisa up and disappeared.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I suppose some would be more aware of the scab than others depending on what threads they were frequenting around the time of the initial wounds.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Which is kinda my point. Of course you don't want it announced if you already know...
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think people get banned lightly here. If they're banned, then there's a good chance they've irritated a significant amount of people and refuse to modify their behavior. Other posters have probably decided en masse to stop talking to them already. Unless you're an infrequent visitor here, it's pretty easy to tell when someone's gone over the edge and been banned. BB's policy of telling us if we ask is sufficient, IMO. Sounding an air horn every time it happens smacks of a less mature, more ban-happy community where bad behavior is more the norm.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well said, afr.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Thanks, rivka. Of course, it would be freaking awesome if BB could announce every ban in full Hunger Games style. I might just change my mind. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Actually I guess I don't know what the difference is between saying something when it happens and saying something when people ask. I wouldn't keep a separate thread for it and bump it, but maybe put a post in the last thread they were posting in?

I'm enough of a lurker that my opinion probably shouldn't count for much, but I thought the same thing as ElJay. I wouldn't want to have a thread for bannings (like hanging their photos on the wall of shame), but at the moment that they cross the line in a thread somewhere, I don't think it's unreasonable or inappropriate for the mod to post a comment in that thread stating that the member has been banned.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but feel that I started this with my tongue in cheek request for a list of banned members in the "I Miss Lisa" thread...

To clarify; I don't think it's necessary or warranted to publish a list of banned posters.

People come and go, and their lack of involvement on the board could be attributed to any number of things, including the Almighty Ban-Hammer (blessed be thy name).

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all bans should be made public. I don't think a list needs to be maintained, but the decision to ban someone should absolutely be exposed.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think something as simple as editing "User was banned for this post" into the relevant post would be fine. That way, the thread doesn't get bumped, but if someone wonders "what happened to X?" and goes looking, one of the most recent posts they find will indicate that X was banned.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

If the frequency of bannings didn't change, I don't see how telling people it happened would make the community ban-happy.

Even for people reading the thread where the kerfluffle goes down, if someone stops posting there's no way to know if they've been banned or just got fed up and left, or were hit by a truck. A simple post saying "So-and-so has been banned from posting at Hatrack" isn't sounding an airhorn or announcing it from the rooftops, it's no different than answering "S/he was banned" when someone notices they haven't been posting and asks where they are.

Not saying it definitely feels like sweeping it under the rug to me. It's like the person has broken the rules often enough and caused enough trouble, so the moderator just quietly gets rid of them. (No offense intended, BB. I know the practice has been in place since well before you took the role.)

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I think something as simple as editing "User was banned for this post" into the relevant post would be fine. That way, the thread doesn't get bumped, but if someone wonders "what happened to X?" and goes looking, one of the most recent posts they find will indicate that X was banned.

An interesting compromise.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It seems reasonable to me.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, I'm ambivalent as to whether or not we drag our banned through the streets for all to gawk rather than quietly not deal with them anymore.

Twinky's suggestion seems to be the most conservative while while still being transparent.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
*busts through wall*

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE DISCUSSING BANNING POLICY, WOULD YOU LIKE SOME HELP DETERMINING HOW TO PILLORY FORMER USERS IN A PUBLIC FORMAT?

In truth, I can offer a very sincere position from experience. Going with a 'silent ban' policy, where you try to go without an announcement* about someone's ban (more importantly: WHY they were banned) works until it does not.

We made a serious go of it, myself working under the very same logic I see in this thread ('we don't need the immaturity of a wall of shame,' 'its something we would rather be quiet about, it's nobody else's place to judge' etc).

You can skirt by with the low population and rarity of bans here. Assuming nothing else changes, why not, who cares, keep trying to make a go of it, you don't have to do anything at all. There is really sincerely no necessity for change at this point, nor do I think hatrack's host would provide even the barest handful of assistance you would need to keep ground rules and B&lists tacit but easily accessible to logged-in users.

But like I've said before: all it takes is a threshold of population and the resulting requisite frequency of moderator action, followed by two or three high-profile "X WAS BANNED? WTF?" brouhahas or a certain threshold of widespread ban confusion before you start realizing that the drama or 'scab picking' of ban announcements pales in comparison to the dramatics it tends to head off at the pass, in terms of providing complacency about 'moderation transparency.'

This is not that threshold, by the way. Not even close. This is nothing. No change is necessary at this time, it just might be nice and proactive.

Yet: if for whatever reason (a hypothetical flood of users and activity from the EG movie, for instance) it ever looks like hatrack's gone and crossed that threshold, this will all start to ring familiar, and you'll begin to truly understand my position, and the naivete of the scab-picking analogy will finally seem clear.

That's all.

*note: not like a literal announcement-tagged thread left to rot on the top of the forum. That is bad. Do not use those to announce a userban.

*reverses time, unbusts back out wall in a surrealist Braid-like fashion*

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Hatrack, at least in my experience, has always been a place where people are given every chance by the community to settle down and become productive members even after starting out trollishly. The degree to which we've been able to self-moderate in this fashion has been the hallmark of the forum, IMO.

I don't think anyone's trying to pretend that the ban-hammer doesn't exist. But uncovering it lessens that feeling of responsibility the members might have for reaching out first and doing what they can to help someone stick around before they go off the deep end. When the ban is looming, we start hanging back more and just waiting for the mod to do something.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Very well spoken.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to know how you can get banned from this place. Every time I turn around someone gets banned for something while another gets praised and protected for the same thing. Just more proof of the sorry state of this place and all those who post here.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Most other forums I frequent (which tend to have software that's been updated since 2008...) will show a banned member's name in strikeout on their old posts, or list their status as "Banned Member" instead of "Member", or some such method.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with updating a post to show a poster was banned is that they are not always banned because of something the specifically said in a post. Lisa and Malanthrop were banned based on interactions I had with them outside the board.

Still, I'm mulling around the idea of just attaching an addendum to a poster's last post if they were subsequently banned.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I don't think anyone's trying to pretend that the ban-hammer doesn't exist. But uncovering it lessens that feeling of responsibility the members might have for reaching out first and doing what they can to help someone stick around before they go off the deep end. When the ban is looming, we start hanging back more and just waiting for the mod to do something.

Eh. Looming bans here represent a condition in which idealized community correction has fallen flat for quite a bit.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I just want to know how you can get banned from this place.

I've often wondered how you've managed to avoid it.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I am not constantly here I think and therefore mostly leave the place alone. But, I am wondering if I should just try because I don't actually feel like contributing even meagerly and yet still want to communicate what I think of what Hatrack has become over the years.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I don't actually feel like contributing even meagerly and yet still want to communicate what I think of what Hatrack has become over the years.

Charming. Unmaking at its finest.
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Still, I'm mulling around the idea of just attaching an addendum to a poster's last post if they were subsequently banned.

I do like this idea, because generally when one wonders what became of a poster one of the first things you do is go see when they last posted. Bingo, question answered.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.