FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Banned Folks (A Question For The Forum) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Banned Folks (A Question For The Forum)
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
it's also likely the best method that will be available on this board.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
When I get banned for snapping and making threats to Rakeesh's life I want no one to know where I went or why...delete my post and just let me disappear into the night.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
Because I am not constantly here I think and therefore mostly leave the place alone. But, I am wondering if I should just try because I don't actually feel like contributing even meagerly and yet still want to communicate what I think of what Hatrack has become over the years.

I don't see what that will accomplish. You will be banned, and you won't be given much benefit of the doubt because you've outright stated it's your intention to be cast out.

[ May 04, 2012, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
non-snarky purely observational answer: it serves the desire to be banned and fill a psychological self-confirmation.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's attention you want, getting an announcement made about you or getting onto the List is the perfect way to go out when you get banned. It's a great exit. I'm afraid more people would choose that option, instead of just disappearing.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I think notifications would be useful.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
When I get banned for snapping and making threats to Rakeesh's life I want no one to know where I went or why...delete my post and just let me disappear into the night.

Are you teasing your future intentions SW?

Or simply requesting something akin to Jayne?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Cool clip...I should watch Firefly again...

More the former...mostly just kidding in general.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
If it's attention you want, getting an announcement made about you or getting onto the List is the perfect way to go out when you get banned. It's a great exit. I'm afraid more people would choose that option, instead of just disappearing.

Editing their last post avoids that problem. There's no new post made, the only people who would see it are those who go looking for it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

That's it. You know what? I've had it. It's time for me to tell you all what I think of

[MODERATOR NOTE: SAMPRIMARY DIED ON HIS WAY BACK TO HIS HOME PLANET]

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Questioning the truth of the moderator note in the above post is grounds for immediate banning. For your own protection of course.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
Questioning the truth of the moderator note in the above post is grounds for immediate banning. For your own protection of course.

Wait. I'm not sure I buy

[MODERATOR NOTE: STEVEROGERS SUCCUMBED TO THE NANOBOT FIENDS AT WAR WITHIN HIS BODY]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Steve. I tried to save you.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

[Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute. If Steve died from nanobots, then who's posting under his account?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

[MODERATOR NOTE: THERE IS NO STEVE, ONLY MODERATOR]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*backs away slowly*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
I actually wish there was a way to let people know, because I don't like the uncertainty of a formerly active poster just disappearing. But I can't think of a good way to do it, so... *shrug*

This.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
Because I am not constantly here I think and therefore mostly leave the place alone. But, I am wondering if I should just try because I don't actually feel like contributing even meagerly and yet still want to communicate what I think of what Hatrack has become over the years.

Feel free to try, if you think we don't actually know already.

Of course, you are still here, among those you scorn. What does that say about you?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
I actually wish there was a way to let people know, because I don't like the uncertainty of a formerly active poster just disappearing. But I can't think of a good way to do it, so... *shrug*

This.
Speaking of posters just disappearing.

Hi there. Nice to see you around these parts again. [Wave]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to go home now. My planet needs me.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hi Lyr! [Smile]

I actually went back and looked at my posting history after the discussion started on the other thread about people leaving. I was somewhat surprised to find that I've made a couple posts a month most months for the last couple of years. I think of myself as posting here less than that. I do still read fairly frequently, but like I said before there are less topics that interest me here these days.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no easy way to tell you this Orincoro, but Pluto is not actually a planet. It is just another object in the Kuiper Belt.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Lyrhawn, come visit Sake. They don't seem to be too annoyed by my being there, so you'd probably be welcome. But you should also not leave Hatrack.

PLEASE DON'T SMITE ME ALL MIGHTY BLADE OF THE JANITOR

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Lyrhawn, come visit Sake. They don't seem to be too annoyed by my being there, so you'd probably be welcome. But you should also not leave Hatrack.

PLEASE DON'T SMITE ME ALL MIGHTY BLADE OF THE JANITOR

I was just saying to rivka the other day that I might slowly start to post there every now and then. It's a totally different atmosphere in some ways. Takes some getting used to. I do lurk there fairly often.

But what if I get hooked on sake and stop posting here? What if Hatrack really my gateway forum this whole time, and I just move on to the big stuff and leave it behind?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

You must not utter such things here.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
But what if I get hooked on sake and stop posting here?
Depending on the subject, I just assume everyone here is addicted to sake and it insists that they post more rather than less.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I'm not addicted to sake. All things considered, sake is a nasty and bitter alcohol which takes too much finagling to work, and which most people are enamored with not really due to its taste or overall palatability, but rather due to the cultural connotations and associations of the drink.

plum wine anyone

advice for robots
Member # 2544

< Sake-free for many years now. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to go to meetings for that?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Non-filtered cold sake is sweet and multi toned...I much prefer it to hot filtered.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:

Yes. They're held at Galactic Cactus.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

+1
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Rivka wins.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I'm not addicted to sake. All things considered, sake is a nasty and bitter alcohol which takes too much finagling to work, and which most people are enamored with not really due to its taste or overall palatability, but rather due to the cultural connotations and associations of the drink.

I think that's a compelling argument against all alcoholic drinks.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:

I think that's a compelling argument against beer.
Fixed that for you.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread exists for the sole purpose of keeping everyone entertained while the "ban every person who posted in thread 'X'" script is completed.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

So tempted to edit the above post.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
quote:

I think that's a compelling argument against all alcoholic drinks.
Naw, there is a very wide scale between the palatable response between people and various forms of alcohol, just the same as there is a scale of palatable response between, say, an apple and sea urchin. Sake is off on the far end; a weird, bitter, vicious half-beer half-liquor-ish thing that has to be managed so delicately in the various stages of its creation to create something which doesn't taste and smell like warm rubbing alcohol. Even cauim is easier to work with.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

No, sorry, I know that you're culturally conditioned to dig it, but ingesting bitter poisons (even bitter poisons who've had lots of extra flavors infused to mask the bitter, poisonous taste) is at a basic level only valued because we culturally exalt the physiological effects of that poison.

All the "appreciation" of subtle combinations of those masking flavors is just a sidebar.

If we had cultural pressure to eat dog crap, and we infused dog crap with lots of new flavors to try and make it more palatable, that wouldn't fundamentally change the fact that we were consuming dog crap.

Disclaimer: There might be a touch of hyperbole in this post. Maybe.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've decided I'm going to start adding a note to a poster's last post if they have been banned. I will also continue to inform others a poster is banned if asked. That seems to be the best solution for everyone.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a good compromise, JB.

I'm a member of a forum where the posters tags [the descriptor under his/her name] is changed whenever the poster is banned - but the mods never announce or explain bannings. It's easy to find, if you know how to use Google effectively to check the posting history, but it's kind of a pain because people get banned so often there.

As an aside, I too am actually curious as to how often posters are banned around here, for non-spam reasons.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Thanks, JB. Sounds good.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: That's pretty much true for coffee, too.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

No way coffee is delicious and nutritious and its not toxic at all in fact it's a valuable stimulant one might even call it medicinal how dare you impugn the amazing wondrous power of cof...

Yeah, okay. Maybe you're right.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.