FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question to all you veteran Hatrackers... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A question to all you veteran Hatrackers...
ZachC
Member # 12709

- posted      Profile for ZachC   Email ZachC         Edit/Delete Post 
I first read Ender's Game when I was ten years old, and since then I have been obsessed with anything Orson Scott Card ever since.

One of my OSC themed pastimes is reading the forum here at hatrack river, but I rarely post, I mostly just enjoy witnessing the debates and discussions that unfold within these pages.

I have been lurking around in this manner for a number of years under different aliases while occasionally posting when an issue of great importance to me was brought up.

Throughout the years I have become amazed at some of the people that post here. When I read of personal stories of teaching underprivileged youths of when you share touching windows into your lives I feel that I am truly honored to belong (in however small a way) to this community.

So now to my question. For the people who have been posting here for years, how did you start? How did you first come to find Hatrack and make a name for yourself in its pages? And I am most curious to know how it has affected your lives, because even I feel reading Ender's Game (and almost everything else OSC has written) and joining Hatrack has been one of the most meaningful experiences of my life.

If I am intruding to much with my question, you have my sincerest apologies, but I am genuinely curious to know how the individuals that I personally hold such a high regard for, got their start.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I really haven't been here that long so I might not fit your criteria but I'll share anyway.

I found the forum originally browsing the web looking for an online copy of Shadow of the Giant that I could pirate and read. My local library didn't have a copy and I was determined to finish the story. I was a pretty broke 14 y/o so I decided the most obvious course of action was to google up an online copy.

The forum is not a really large part of my life, I rarely post despite lurking daily. I know it has definitely changed how I think about myself, and the kind of image I portray of myself online and in real life. This has allowed me to be more comfortable in my own skin and allowed me overcome in small parts my depression.

It has also been a strong motivator. As an undergrad now I'm always excited to hear about our grad student's trials and exploits. Shoot, I'm applying for law school next year and it feels good to know I'm not the only one worrying about these sorts of things.

I also feel strongly about the quality of the community here. I spend a lot of time at less reputable forums and am always glad to return here to see such a relatively respectful discourse. It always surprises me and really warms my heart.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
In 1999 I was working in my first professional job, which involved a lot of time sitting at a computer while I waited for processes to finish. In June of that year I decided to see what people online were saying about some of my favorite authors. As it turned out, Card had a site, which I explored thoroughly. I found the forums, and read both of them in their entirity, as well as the archive of the Big Mouth Lion iteration of the forums. A forum member named dmichael had posted something that I found ridiculous about animals (that they were biological robots in a way that we weren't, I believe, though I could be wrong about that), and I created an account so that I could refute what he was saying.

I chickened out, though, and didn't actually post anything for months. I made a hundred or so posts under this username before switching over to Noemon, under which I developed a name for myself and did the vast bulk of my posting.

Hatrack had a huge impact on me. I learned that there were people out there who were as (and often more) intelligent than I was who had opinions that were 180 degrees from my own. They weren't stupid, and they weren't thinking shallowly about the issues; they'd just come to very different conclusions than I had when looking at the same set of facts. I learned how to see an issue from various viewpoints. I learned how to argue without being hostile, and I made friendships that meant--and still mean--the world to me. When I went through my divorce in 2005, Hatrack and sakeriver were a lifeline for me, providing me with company, compassion, and understanding that wasn't available to me in the flesh, apart from when I was physically hanging out with friends I'd met here and on sake (I knew virtually no one in the city in which I lived, and wasn't up to going out and making friends with strangers in meatspace at that point).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I thought I was signed in as Jake when I posted that.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That Noemon sure is wordy!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
That guy, huh? I swear he never shuts up.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only four years in, but like T I'll share as well.

When I was eleven my brother came home with a copy of EG that he had stolen from the library of his imminently closing middle-school. He had previously insisted that I read The Harper Hall Trilogy by Anne McCaffrey (I still have a deep and fervent love of her writing today) so when he said I should read this other book with a strange spaceship on the cover I was more than willing. My little head was blown. Reading The Hobbit at a grievously slow pace as a class became torturous by comparison to reading and rereading about Battle School. Anne McCaffrey taught me to appreciate fantasy, but Orson Scott Card showed me how fascinating psychology in story telling can be. I became ravenous for more of both, and still am.

Over the next few years I would infect less literature inclined friends with Ender's Game, eventually going through a couple copies as they deteriorate or go missing by way of youthful hands. In a much more recent copy there was mention of a website where Mr. Card himself would interact with fans, an electronic cabinet where he might share early chapters or divvy out advice for a youngster with a love of the written word. Hatrack River, a phrase that would taunt me while I was alone looking at my tiny bookshelf and elude me when given a rare opportunity to access the internet.

In time (maybe around fourteen) I had both access and the address for an evening. If memory serves I may have even registered under my own abbreviated name and added addressed OSC with a fan letter. Whether it was a thread or message I have no recollection.

In 2008 I bought my first laptop, and promptly began embarrassing myself amongst you fine folks. Refining my ability to debate, study matters that are important to me and most importantly be considerate of another persons argument have been invaluable to me. Thank you for being kind, and thank you for laughing at me even when I didn't deserve it. It has all been for the best.

I lurk daily, but prefer to stay out of the heavier topics as they end in harsh or dismissive responses too often. Although I appreciate the insight I gain nonetheless. My time here has little effect on my life beyond how I spend my spare time alone while watching netflix.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I visited hatrack when I first read EG and after I came to the US. First to read OSC related topics, then other. Now I mostly read, rarely write, because I have found that I have difficulties speaking my mind here. Don't know why.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered Hatrack in 2003, after falling in love with the Alvin Maker series. I'd just moved out of home, 3000km interstate, and in with my boyfriend.*

I lurked for a while, and was petrified the first few times I posted. But people welcomed me, and joked with me, and given I'd left my main community of friends behind, Hatrack became so important to me.

It taught me a lot, as an Australian, about American society. I had made a lot of assumptions, mostly gleaned from popular culture, and it was a learning experience to have those challenged. I also still treasure the a lot of those early friendships I made.

I don't hang out here much anymore, for a variety of reasons. But I'm really glad this forum still has the ability to draw in people.

*Dear reader, I married him. He even posted on hatrack for a while.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I also started posting after a move, in my case to a small (pop. less than 500) rural town. It was great to have a larger base of people to talk to.

As far as changing my life -- I met my husband on Hatrack. We were married in 2005 with 30+ Hatrackers at the wedding, so even though I don't post here much anymore Hatrack will always have a place in my heart.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I read some of the Ender and Alvin Maker books before finding out about Hatrack. I posted more often in the beginning, but I still check in frequently.

And I was one of the Hatrackers at the wedding of dkw and Bob Scopatz - it was the most fun wedding I've been to.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I ever heard of Ender's Game or Orson Scott Card was during my 6th grade year in school. One of my friends was reading it at the time and recommened it to me, but the copy he had was graced with this absolutely horrid cover. And so I scoffed at him. I was reading the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane, Chrestomance series by Diana Wynne Jones, Hitchhiker series by Douglas Adams, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Isaac Asimov, and the like at the time, and it seemed so beyond my sophisticiated 6th grade literary sensibilities to read a book with such a silly cover.

I promptly forgot about the book with the silly cover.

The next year in 7th grade, my reading had swayed some from the more literary classics of sci-fi and fantasy to reading what were dubbed "techno-thrillers" by Dean Koontz and Michael Crichton. However, I received a recommendation from an adult friend of my parents for a book called Ender's Game by an author the adult friend could not remember. Having always identified more with adults than with children my own age, I took the recommendation in stride and filed it away to locate on my next Barnes & Noble sojourn (having forgotten the silly cover completely). The next time I went to a bookstore I searched the science fiction section (as 7th grade me felt the young adult section to be below him) for the book and located it (this time with a much more pleasant cover). After purchasing the book, I retired to the bookstore cafe to enjoy some hot tea and began reading the recently acquired book.

As these things tend to happen, I devoured it almost immediately and then started on a literary journey which continues today (I'm among the minority of people who not only anticipate but also enjoy the new and various books by Orson Scott Card).

I spent a lot of time on the computer in my mother's classroom during middle school, so I made a cursory search for Ender's Game related sites and discovered the Virtual Battle School forum (a collaborative fanfic forum set in the Ender universe). I joined during the "Integration" storyline in which the space station was on lockdown. My characters included an eponymous angry one-armed soldier in Centipede Army, a schizophrenic Irish soldier in Centipedie Army, and an African American commander of Salamander Army. My reception was less than positive at the time.

As other members of that forum leaked onto this forum, I followed. My reception here was also less than positive for a variety of reasons (many of which were detailed in my recent landmark).

I may follow with the life altering bits later; though, much of it is also discussed in the above linked landmark thread. [Smile]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about Hatrack in one of the Alvin Maker books, when OSC mentioned it. I thought it was a really interesting, so I checked it out.

It was a tough time around here. Several trolls had been posting a lot, and people were kinda fired up about it. I walked in to this unknowingly, by making my first post.

I have always read a lot, and never have been too shy, so it seemed to me that this place was a blessing. I took my time, crafting my first post in a political thread, I think. Then all of a sudden people jumped all over me. I had people accuse me of being one of these trolls, as he was famous for using alts, and "no one posts a first post like that".

I got defensive, and tried to refute these accusations, but I was pretty turned off. I actually had people email me, threatening me, because some of the things this troll had done really pissed people off. Rather than making me back down, it pissed me off.

I kept posting because several people were very nice to me, and encouraged me. Also, it was nice to see people here interact. At the time, this community was very much MORE of an actual community. People met IRL all the time, and they had people traveling all over to meet each other.

Eventually I got past the issues, and most people realized that I wasn't Otaku, or any of the other trolls, and some of those people even apologized.

I arranged several Hatrack picnics/meetings, and met 20-30 Hatrackers. Some of them were locals, but some of them were just in the US for a visit, and others were from all over the country. It was amazing.

I introduced my girlfriend at the time (JenniK here) to Hatrack, and she reads almost as much as I do, so she loved it here. When we got married, we actually used an internet cafe kiosk to post here. She doesn't read OSC, but she loves the community here. [Big Grin]

Hatrack has had a profound impact on me. I met some of my best friends ever here on Hatrack. Also, I hear a lot of people say that you can't change someones mind arguing on the internet, but that has not been the case for me. I love a good argument, as long as it isn't just a shouting match, and there are a lot of people here that are as knowledgeable as I am, (or more so) and as opinionated (or more), so I have had some of the best discussions of my life here at Hatrack.

I don't post here as much these days, for a number of reasons. It isn't as active of a forum, some of my favorite people have lefts for a place I didn't feel welcome at and didn't care for, and I am older and more complete as a person these days. However, Hatrack had a huge hand in influencing me and changing some of my views and opinions, and I will be forever grateful to it, and OSC, because of it.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachC
Member # 12709

Thanks so much to all of the people who have posted their stories so far.
I am so grateful that you have taken the time to share your personal experiences in the thread.
I am glad to have gained an insight into your lives and I hope to talk more with you guys in the future. [Smile]

Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I lurked. Then I really really wanted to comment on Ashlee Simpson lip syncing on SNL. So I registered.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
+1 [ROFL]
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'd love to see rivka, TomDavidson, or others of our more prolific posters chime in on this one.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I read all the OSC books I could get my hands on as a teen. Then I'd read them again. Then again. I've probably read all his pre-Shadow books an average of 4 times each.

I posted a few times on the AOL message boards, but only lurked on Hatrack. Then on my 18th birthday (coincidence?) I registered and posted something from my school's computer lab.

I'm not really sure I ever "made a name for myself", honestly.

I am also one who met their future spouse here (back in 2003). We now have a two year old, and another boy on the way [Big Grin] .

This site is now much less important to my life, but I'm glad it was here when I needed it.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I found Ender's Game soon after it was published and it quickly became my favoritest science fiction book ever. I became a devout OSC reader and to this day cite him as one of my favorite authors.

I was hanging around Hatrack River for a good year in 1999-2000 (at one of the first jobs I had that put me in front of a computer with internet access), stalking OSC mostly, before it occurred to me to peek in at the forums. I signed up to respond to a thread about Radiohead, who had recently come out with Kid A. Funny thing is, I've rarely entered any discussions about OSC or his books here. This forum kind of had a soul of its own. I almost never make my way to the "other side."

I found a lot to like about this forum and have been visiting it just about daily for 12 years now, with a hiatus here and there when I felt like it was taking a bit too much of my time. I've always been a clumsy wallflower here, but I've learned quite a bit from all the powerful posters and have had many of my opinions tempered and changed due to the fantastic discussions that have taken place. Hatrack has been a significant part of my life for a long time now.

The board used to be a good deal more lively, especially back in the early 2000s. So many members, like the elves of Middle Earth, have gone West over the years. I wish it still moved at the same pace with the same variety of irresistible threads to occupy my attention all day, but alas, it's the Age of Men now.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember exactly how old I was when I first read Ender's Game. I must have been under 10 though. I started reading Hatrack at least 12 years ago, but rarely comment. Mostly because I don't ever feel like I can articulate what I really want to say very well.

Basically y'all are too intimidating. Since I generally don't agree with most people here, instead of getting massacred I just enjoy reading opposing viewpoints.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game was a book my dad gave me as my first "adult book", when I was twelve.

I loved it.

In college (Fall of 95), with dedicated ethernet to the dorm room I went looking on OSC-related stuff, because he was a favorite author of mine. I found the original VBS mailing list (not OSC sanctioned, run by a woman named Barbara Walton, I believe) and this site. Just lurked (I might have posted 3-4 times under some username, but that's it).

Followed through all the message board migrations.

Tried my hand at official VBS, but by then it was already mostly dead. Tried some Hatrack 1830, but couldn't keep it up.

I've been moderately posting for nigh on 12 years now. My participation has ebbed and flowed. There was a time when I felt the board was overwhelmingly conservative for an extended period of time that probably helped push me to some other boards.

Nowadays I secretly root for more Dan Frank types to help counterbalance current forum trends. [Smile]

I've never written a landmark. I did not meet my spouse on Hatrack. I did let Kama crash at my place for a couple nights during Kamacon, for which my girlfriend (and eventual wife) was supremely tolerant of.

I've met Kwea. Don't believe what he says, he's still a complete and utter jerk [Wink] Also, never challenge him to a game of pool.

I've met other hatrackers, and become Real(tm). I owned (and did nothing with) the jatraqueros.com and jatraqueras.com domain names.

I still like that appellation.

I haven't read much recent OSC. But Ender's Game, Speaker, and Maps in the Mirror cements him as one of my favorite authors. Don't tell anyone, but I have a guilty pleasure of liking Treason way more than one ought to.

I miss lots of ancient posters that have completely disappeared, and don't miss many others.

I've got a couple kids now, and am a long way from that college freshman.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Oh yeah, and I keep the dude [Cool] thread alive for future e-archaeologists to unearth some day and be befuddled by.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The board used to be a good deal more lively, especially back in the early 2000s. So many members, like the elves of Middle Earth, have gone West over the years. I wish it still moved at the same pace with the same variety of irresistible threads to occupy my attention all day, but alas, it's the Age of Men now.
By into the west, I assume you mean they've crossed the sea to go to Sakeriver. It's practically Valinor at this point.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

A work associate of my mother's gave her a beat up copy of Ender's Game to give to me. I read it in one sitting, and he never got it back. I must have been 16 or so when I first read it, maybe a little younger. I kept noticing the website listed in the back pages of the book, but I think other than some random lurking I never read it much.

Then one day in 2004 I decided to just jump in. And I haven't shut up since. Though following the slowdown trend here, I don't post nearly as much now as I used to. I think I had one of the most active posting rates in the mid-aughts for a little while. But attrition sapped us of some of our more prolific voices in the last few years. Everyone used to talk about Hatrack's glory days even before I got there, but I really miss the active vibe here from the 2004-2008 period or so. Still, I like everyone who is currently here, and though the family is smaller and less vocal, it's still family.

I think part of why I latched onto Hatrack was it was such an intellectually stimulating environment. I was 20 when I first started posting here, and almost everyone here was older and smarter than I was. Just about everyone was also very polite in their arguments and discussions. Posting here helped me define my own beliefs and helped me hone how I expressed them. It also exposed me to a lot of outside points of view I'd never considered before. I can honestly say I've changed my mind about several things as a result of arguments I've seen posted here. I never got to have this sort of formative experience with my own friends and family, because we never talked about the sort of things that come up here, and I don't just mean politics.

It took a bit longer for me to move out of the political and into the personal, but I'm glad I did. Even though I still sometimes feel like an awkward interloper, I view a lot of people here (and many who have left) as good friends, some as very close friends, and I trust many of you more than I ever would have thought possible for people I've mostly never seen in person.

Even if this website itself were to ever go away, the Hatrack Family would still be out there, and I'm very grateful to be a part of that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Even if this website itself were to ever go away, the Hatrack Family would still be out there, and I'm very grateful to be a part of that.

Well spoken, sir.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't believe Bok. You should all challenge me to a game of pool. For money.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Online or in the real world?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

Given the ratio of billiards-related posts on your FB wall to non-billiard-related posts, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot cue.
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

See, I told you he was a jerk!

(Pssst, when do I get my cut?)

Oh yeah, I used to sign my name s below, but now I mostly won't. Because of a completely different forum (Samprimary knows which one).

-Bok

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember which book it was - probably one of the Shadow series - but I seem to remember reading in the acknowledgements something about this site. I was probably 14 or 15 and thought of myself as quite bright. So when I started lurking here and reading the posts of people who were, without a doubt, smarter than me, I was hooked. TomD, rivka, Noemon, Kwea, Lyr, Olivet, Bob_Scopatz, dkw, even KoM, and more, are all people I credit with teaching me how to communicate intelligently.

I never really got in to posting in the serious threads, mostly because I took way too long to write out posts, and by the end of it inevitably convinced myself that what I was saying wasn't worth posting. But I did fancy myself a part of the community here at one point. Like Lyr, I heard people talk about the golden days, but the days (and nights) I spent here as a teenager were pretty golden. My favorite stretch was when I was working up the courage to tell the girl I liked how I felt and came here asking for advice. I believe the thread was titled "My Teenage Angst Thread". She ended up shooting me down, but 3 years later we got married [Smile] .

And while it was more on Sake that I posted about my mental health struggles, I can honestly say that Hatrack saved my life. Tis a long, sad story I don't care to recount (incidentally, the 6 year anniversary of that time in my life just came and went), but long story short, mackillian gave me the shove I needed to go get help.

Once I got into grad school, and really even before that while I had a very active social life for a bit, I haven't been able to find the time to post as much. And I'm ok with that. I still check here pretty much every day, and I go through spurts where I try to get back into a posting routine. But whereas when I was a teenager I was in desperate need of a community, a need which Hatrack filled, I now don't have that need as much. So I think of Hatrack like that good friend that you haven't spoken to in a long time, but you know that if you need them, they'll be there.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I started lurking on Hatrack because I enjoyed OSC's books (even though I've never been much of a sci-fi fan). I started posting occasionally a little later and posted infrequently for five or six years. Although I had some enjoyable conversations and made a few friends, I can't say that Hatrack had a huge impact on me.

Still, every once in a while there's something. I teach in the English department of a small Middle Eastern university, and we'll be reading Ender's Game in one of my classes next semester. And this semester I started an informal discussion group among my freshmen; I suggested a number of possible mottos for our group, and they chose "We speak with passion and listen with respect."

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I found Ender's Game in the school library when I was 12 or 13. I ended up reading everything by OSC I could find. I caught up with the in-print catalog around the age of 18 or 19, and mostly kept up with new material since then (I'm a bit behind at this point, which is kind of weird to realize).

I loved Ender's Game. And then I loved Speaker for the Dead. I've enjoyed nearly all of OSC's fiction.

I found this site in 2001 or 2002, I think. I don't remember why I never registered a forum account until later. I don't think I understood how forums worked (I didn't understand that I could find interesting and meaningful interaction in them; at first they seemed like something other people did for unknowable reasons).

But now I would say forums make up a good chunk of my social life. That's only possible because I have a pretty limited social life, but it's still significant for me.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know when I found the forums exactly but I know it was way back when (as you can tell from my member #) I don't post a lot but I do lurk and really appreciate the viewpoints of the various posters on all the issues that get discussed. It enlarges my understanding and the forum gives me something to do when I'm procrastinating something I should be doing [Wink] Hatrack was there for me when my son was receiving a heart transplant to pray for us and give me a good place to take a mental break. Its changed through the years but that is the nature of the beast. I still love it here and I still love OSC and his work.

**edit to add - it seems the earliest register date on this particular post is 1999 so I know I registered before that. I want to say 1998? I found Hatrack River when it was over on Big Mouth Lion just after it moved from AOL.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the forums in 2006. Good place for awhile. It got quite snarky so I left for awhile. I just recently came back. So far, so good.

I read EG for the first time 24 years ago. It has been my favorite book since. I credit it with getting me to really be a reader.

There used to be some fun stuff here like your 1000th post was a biographical "introduction" to the forum. And if you met with a "real" forum member, then you could be vouched for as "real" also. I met a couple in California and became real. I was able to make real two forum members in Houston. That was fun.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Meeting only a single real Hatracker does not make someone real. You have to meet two.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky for me, I met two on the same meeting. I haven't seen them around since my return.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I met Kara.

Not fair, of course, since we knew each other well before I think either of us were on hatrack

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I first came across Ender's Game in 1992, as a high school freshman. We were required to read for 5 minutes to start our English class period every day, and someone had lent it to me. I did not really read for fun at that point, but began reading in class on a Friday. I took it home and finished it by Saturday morning, and bought Speaker and Xenocide that afternoon. I then read another 15 or so of his books by the end of high school, and probably 20-30 more by other authors.

It started me on the path to becoming an avid reader, writer, and eventually English major.

In 2001, I had been out of college for a year and traveling abroad, and my sister saw something about an OSC Writer's Workshop. I sent in my writing sample and was selected for the first workshop in Greensboro in 2001, and met a bevy of Jatraqueros, most of which have become either infrequent posters or have moved on from Hatrack (Jenny Gardener, Slash_the_Berzerker, Olivet, JohnKeats, and others I'm sure I've forgotten).

That lead me here, and I was fairly engaged for a number of years - though at this point I've mostly kept to lurking.

Edit to add: It's amazing and a little sad to see that there are 15 days worth of posts on the front page. Can't help thinking back to the time when posts would slip off the front page within hours if they weren't bumped.

[ November 14, 2012, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Meeting only a single real Hatracker does not make someone real. You have to meet two.

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I met Kara.

Not fair, of course, since we knew each other well before I think either of us were on hatrack

Specifically you have to meet two other Hatrackers who are also real. The infinite recursion of realness ends at Slash the Bezerker.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
and for the life of me i can't remember kara's username. wasn't andrew some version of ersomniac
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
The infinite recursion of realness ends at Slash the Bezerker.

Doesn't it specifically go back to one specific gathering?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Edit to add: It's amazing and a little sad to see that there are 15 days worth of posts on the front page. Can't help thinking back to the time when posts would slip off the front page within hours if they weren't bumped.

I actually remember when it used to be like that too. It was nigh impossible to complete a long reply without someone replying before you.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I can proudly claim to be real. Jon Boy, brinestone, mr_porteirohead, beverly. and I think sarcasticmuppet can affirm to my reality, courtesy of a pizza dinner somewhere near or in Park City, Utah.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Sarcasticmuppet was indeed there, and so was pooka.

I first learned about Hatrack at an OSC signing at Brigham Young University. He had cards with the URL on them. I came and checked out his columns and eventually started posting on the Hatrack River Writers Workshop. Then I checked out the main Hatrack forum and dipped my toes in on the other side before finally jumping into the chaos here. (As someone else said, it's sad to see how slow it is now. Sometimes posts from one day would stretch over three pages on the forum index.)

After I'd been registered here several months, I went to a get-together with a bunch of other local Hatrackers. I met a cute girl who posted here as Diosmel Duda (later Brinestone), and we hit it off right away. A couple of days later she emailed me her phone number, and I asked her out. Five and a half months later we were married, and now we have three kids. I think it's safe to say that joining Hatrack has changed my life pretty thoroughly.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure I am real, though I can't name all the hatrackers I have met.

Though now I wonder, what makes one a veteran hatracker?

Does having been here long enough to be called a Jatraquero help?

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:
I am pretty sure I am real

You were at KamaCon. That pretty much nails being Hatrack-real down.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachC
Member # 12709

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

I actually remember when it used to be like that too. It was nigh impossible to complete a long reply without someone replying before you.

Really? Since I started posting around 2009-2010 the activity has stayed pretty consistent. About what time did the drop in posting occur? And for what reason?

P.S. This is the first time I have tried quote someone else's post in one of my replies. Did I do it right? Do you have to manually format the html codes and such? Mind you I am terrible at computers and other such technical nonsense.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't know if I could pinpoint a particular time when it seems posting dropped off. I would wager around 2007, but that's pretty much just a guess.
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
The infinite recursion of realness ends at Slash the Bezerker.

Doesn't it specifically go back to one specific gathering?
Probably, but Slash invented the concept. It was one of his fits of narcissism, if I recall [Smile]
Bokonon
Member # 480

Anyone who frequents the forums is a Jatraquero. It was more a description of commonalities that leads us here (and keeps us here), than a strict set of rules.

Someone would have to ask David Bowles for the definitive answer.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.