FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to avoid the draft or national service (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How to avoid the draft or national service
GinetteB
Member # 12390

- posted      Profile for GinetteB           Edit/Delete Post 
I found this, could you tell me if this information is correct?

http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=127&contentid=1799&page=2

Did anybody try this?

Posts: 135 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinetteB
Member # 12390

Oh...that was page 2. Here is page 1:

http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=127&contentid=1799&page=1

Posts: 135 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Similar to the myths about income taxes, this is wishful thinking about how the constitution actually works.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinetteB
Member # 12390

It sounded pretty reasonable to me, can you explain why it don't work Orincoro?
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The links don't seem to work for me, can you post a summary?

I wouldn't worry about the draft anyways. The top brass doesn't want it. Things would have to get desperate.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by GinetteB:
It sounded pretty reasonable to me, can you explain why it doesn't work Orincoro?

Fixed that for you.

It doesn't work because there are a large number of precedents, dating back to the 1910's, of cases in which draft laws have been upheld, and appeals under the 13th and 5th amendments and other rights have been rejected by the supreme court on several occasions. Were you to be arrested for failing to comply with a draft order, you would likely lose, and go to prison. You might not lose, and you might not end up going to prison, but the constitution and the law is not like magical fairies, where the right combination of words unlocks special secret powers. If the government wants something, and the courts see it as within their right, you have to fight it in court, and you can lose- and in this case, you probably would lose.

I understand that it sounds reasonable to you, however it is simply not the way this process works. You have a right, under the constitution, to "due process." This means that if you are charged with a violation of the law, you have a right to have your case heard in court. However, this particular article's interpretation of this right makes it appear as if you, as a citizen, have some *peremptory* right to demand that the government justify its requirements of you before you can be compelled to comply with them. This is far from the case. Were you drafted into service, against your will, you would find yourself under the uniform code of military justice. If you sued the government for violating your rights, you would have no guarantee of victory, and no guarantee that an appeals court would hear your case at all (the SCOTUS refuses the majority of appeals). And if there was a draft law in place, you would certainly lose your initial case, since the government's actions would be lawful. It would only be an appeals process that challenges *the law* and not the government's direct action, that would allow for your victory- and as I say, there is no guarantee, and a *very* high likelihood, that your case would simply never be heard on appeal. If you continued to refuse to serve, and you couldn't have your case heard, you could be tried under the uniform code, and spend the rest of your life in the stockade.

This is basically why it doesn't work.

[ November 14, 2012, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
1) It's not true. You don't have to "volunteer"; you CAN be drafted. See Orin's post for details.

2) The last time there was a draft in the US was 40 years ago. Politically, it absolutely will not fly now or anytime soon.

3) You live in Europe. Why do you care?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinetteB
Member # 12390

Thanks very much Orincoro. That is very helpful.

I care, because I am interested in human rights. So I find the question whether or not a country can force a person against their will to serve in the military interesting. And I do not have such a sense of 'Europe is my world and the rest is of no interest'.

rivka
Member # 4859

Great. Check out Switzerland and Finland, where it's not a purely theoretical notion.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always choose to go to prison. But I don't think draft evasion is a big problem. According to wiki no-one was persecuted since 1987 for that.

But I still think in most cases it's cowardice rather than freedom issue.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Isreal also have mandatory service?
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

About a dozen countries currently have mandatory military service. Israel is one of them, yes.
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Brazil too. One year of mandatory military service.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
"About a dozen"? More like around 60 countries around the world or so have mandatory military service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_service

Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

I think Israel has one of the most harsh military services. One of my friends from Israel told me they have obligatory 2-year service (or maybe more), including women. My parents, while on a trip to Jerusalem, said they saw teenage girls carrying automatic weapons.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Aris Katsaris:
"About a dozen"? More like around 60 countries around the world or so have mandatory military service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_service

That link shows 24. And I would personally omit a few they list on the basis of the nature or available exceptions/exemptions. But ok, a couple dozen.

[ November 14, 2012, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
If there was a draft, nothing on that site would be useful for trying to get out of it. Same as how most "get out of paying the unconstitutional income tax!" websites are only good for making deluded people get themselves arrested and charged for tax evasion over the very much so constitutional income tax.

Also yeah mandatory service wouldn't fly here but plenty of countries have demonstrated that it can be an okay thing

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Szymon:
I think Israel has one of the most harsh military services.

And you base that evaluation on what?

quote:
My parents, while on a trip to Jerusalem, said they saw teenage girls carrying automatic weapons.

In that 18 and 19 year olds are teenagers, that was almost certainly true. So what? Most countries' armed services, whether volunteer or drafted, include 18 and 19 year olds.

quote:
One of my friends from Israel told me they have obligatory 2-year service (or maybe more), including women.

3 years for men, and 2 for women. There are quite a few exceptions and exemptions, as well as an alternative called Sherut Leumi, National Service.

I have Israeli cousins (male and female) who have fulfilled their requirement through Sherut Leumi, some who have used the yeshiva exemption, and some who have served in a variety of combat and combat-support roles.

Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
I think Israel has one of the most harsh military services.

And you base that evaluation on what?
On the fact that I haven't heard of many other countries in which you had a three year training. That's what I mean by hearsh- having three years of your life (as a man) spent on military.

quote:
quote:
My parents, while on a trip to Jerusalem, said they saw teenage girls carrying automatic weapons.

In that 18 and 19 year olds are teenagers, that was almost certainly true. So what? Most countries' armed services, whether volunteer or drafted, include 18 and 19 year olds.

Yeah, well, those are girls. It doesn't matter how old they are, just how young they look. That was their impression. Girls with guns.

And that there are guns everywhere.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Russia's draft is several thousand degrees worse than the one in Israel. It requires service, and by service it means doing anything the officers require, for little money, no respect, and few safety considerations. Several Generals were caught treating their draftees as slave labor for building new homes, businesses, etc.

Many people have their sons disappear after being drafted, only to be told they died in some accident.

When we adopted from Russia we were warned never to bring him back into Russia between the ages of 16 to 26 for fear that he will be kept and drafted. They do not give up citizenship claims.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Israel has a long term of service for two reasons: many soldiers get extensive training (I have three cousins (one's a girl) who can do amazing things in tiny planes); and need. Like "guns everywhere", it's a response to the national reality. It's not what anyone wants (see Golda Meir on forgiveness), but it is an unfortunate necessity.

And many of the skills picked up as part of military training translate to marketable skills in the job market.

As far as drafting women, those Israeli women who do not wish to serve in the military go the Sherut Leumi route. But if you are going to claim teenage boys are better draftees than teenage girls, I'll just roll my eyes at you.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
lots of guns??? IN ISRAEL???????

Anyway isn't their a lot of strife over Torato Omanuto and all the ultraorthodox who essentially get off scot-free from the conscription requirement

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
You can always choose to go to prison. But I don't think draft evasion is a big problem. According to wiki no-one was persecuted since 1987 for that.

But I still think in most cases it's cowardice rather than freedom issue.

No has been prosecuted for failing to register for the selective service. Draft dodgers were pardoned by Carter- thus no prosecutions since 77.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
During the ten days I spent in Israel in 2005 I saw all of that. I also felt extremely safe wherever I went. My father-in-law freaked out because some bomb got thrown over the fence/wall not hurting anyone. I asked him how many deaths he saw that week in the United Staes on the news, he got the point. Israel actually has a much lower intentional death rate than we do.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
These links are false. Not one shred of truth.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a site called "conspiracyplanet" for god's sake.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
These links are false. Not one shred of truth.

that's what the system wants you to "think"

ameriKKKa

Samprimary
Member # 8561

WAKE UP SHEEPLE
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
My old roommate, who cannot return to Taiwan, unless he chooses to be immediately drafted, does have the option of being forced to work for a government company that is less military-like than the army for a year. I think he can be forgiven if he waits until he reaches an age that is considered "old" by the military (forgot what, sorry).

Even a year of doing work he isn't interested in is too much for him, despite some relatives and an ex-girlfriend who live there.

But if you want to avoid a draft, leave the country and don't come back. Works pretty nicely. Just pick somewhere you like and hope you don't miss your family.

I believe Germany has loosened its military requirement, but my friends are older than that. All I know about their military experience is it involved feeding flood relief people frighteningly gigantic amounts of rice.

For your guilty laugh of the day, said German friend deadpanned, "In Germany, we don't have holidays to honor our war veterans."

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
All I know about their military experience is it involved feeding flood relief people frighteningly gigantic amounts of rice.

I just get this terribly stereotypical image of angry germans holding flood victims at bayonet point, forcing bags of rice at them, and yelling essen den reis! ESSEN DEN REIS!
Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:

But if you are going to claim teenage boys are better draftees than teenage girls, I'll just roll my eyes at you.

Don't roll them at me, please.
brojack17
Member # 9189

I don't think there is a problem with mandatory service. I think having kids give service to their country is good. Of course that wouldn't go over here. Even if it weren't just military service, but a peace corps or WPA type. Three years is the typical first enlistment that the US military has. With that, you learn a skill, discipline, get VA loans for life, free room and board, decent enough pay, free medical, and GI Bill for school.

I joined the National Guard when I was 17. Spent 7 years in. I never had to go to war, I was in between Gulf conflicts. But I did have responsibility which, I feel, kept me out of trouble (I come from a big family of drug users/criminals). It taught me that I can accomplish anything with hard work. It gave me a purpose and I learned a poor white kid from Oklahoma could go to college even though I didn't play football.

Again, it would never happen here. God forbid we ask something of our citizens.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
lots of guns??? IN ISRAEL???????

What? Irony, no irony, I dunno.
Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:

We? It feels like you're a part of the system, you work for the government? Usually it's "the goverment asks" or something.

And - I agree. Governments now treat people like they are all children, and people like it. You could live your life doing nothing and do nothing in return for all the free stuff you get. Not that such life would be a good one.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
But if you are going to claim teenage boys are better draftees than teenage girls, I'll just roll my eyes at you.

Don't make dumb sexist claims, and I won't roll them at you.
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:

We? It feels like you're a part of the system, you work for the government? Usually it's "the goverment asks" or something.

And - I agree. Governments now treat people like they are all children, and people like it. You could live your life doing nothing and do nothing in return for all the free stuff you get. Not that such life would be a good one.

No, I don't work for the government. Never have unless you count 7 years National Guard and 10 years as a contractor for NASA. I meant "we" as in US citizens. The collective group of people who make up this country. :-)
Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't make dumb sexist claims, and I won't roll them at you.
Rebecca... What's sexist about noticing groups of 19-year-old girls walking the streets with m16s (or whatever they're called). Not a common view in Europe. And probably in the US, too.

From another topic:
quote:
Having people inform me what what I think, what I feel, and why doesn't really do much to brighten my day.

We agree on one the latter, you know.

edited, 'cause I pasted the quote on my part [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

That is not my name.

And I only said something about rolling my eyes regarding claims that "teenage boys are better draftees than teenage girls". If that's not what you are claiming, then you are at no risk of eye rolling.

I have no idea why you think I am telling you what you think or feel.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

i'll sort of clarify my earlier standpoint: mandatory service programs can actually be very awesome but i don't trust the american political system with it soooooo
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

It seemed like you were saying the weird thing was seeing teenage girls with guns. Not just teenagers in general.

That's sexist.

Edit: Rivka is a sneaky ninja.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's sexist about noticing groups of 19-year-old girls walking the streets with m16s
Nothing. Re-read rivka's original statement that you first responded to:

quote:
if you are going to claim teenage boys are better draftees than teenage girls, I'll just roll my eyes at you.
Not a word about noticing people with guns.

That aside, it does seem to me that grunt infantry still needs a lot of upper-body strength. Lugging forty kilos of equipment all the live-long day is not a trivial feat.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
It seemed like you were saying the weird thing was seeing teenage girls with guns. Not just teenagers in general.

Actually, I have no problem with that. If you are used to one and not the other, then seeing that which you are unused to will be weird.

It was the implication that there's something wrong with drafting female teenagers, but not with drafting male teenagers, that I take exception to.

Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
If that's not what you are claiming, then you are at no risk of eye rolling.

And that's what I meant by my reply, that I do not claim that.

Then I'm sorry, I did't know what sexist mean. Really. I am sorry if I offended any women.

I just wanted to say what was the impression of Israel my parents had while on vacation.

Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
What's sexist about noticing groups of 19-year-old girls walking the streets with m16s
Nothing. Re-read rivka's original statement that you first responded to:

quote:
if you are going to claim teenage boys are better draftees than teenage girls, I'll just roll my eyes at you.
Not a word about noticing people with guns.

I don't get what your point is.

She said, that if I claimed that boys are better draftees, she would roll her eyes at me. I said, don't, because I didn't want to claim that. Then she said that as long as I don't make sexist claims, she won't. Then I started defending myself, but now I'm confused what was this sexist thing in the first place.

Szymon
Member # 7103

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
It seemed like you were saying the weird thing was seeing teenage girls with guns.

That's precisly what I meant.
quote:

That's sexist.

If this is sexism, then I guess so.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

No, I think Rivka was right to correct me.

If you're just not used to it, it's not specifically sexist to find it odd. I find it more odd when I see a topless woman on the street than a topless man, simply because it's less common and so more notable.

It's only if you take it a step further, and say that women shouldn't be soldiers, that it's truly sexist.

quote:

That aside, it does seem to me that grunt infantry still needs a lot of upper-body strength. Lugging forty kilos of equipment all the live-long day is not a trivial feat.

This is one of those things that seems silly to me. Of course that's true.

But, first of all, not all military positions are grunt infantry. So, it still doesn't preclude egalitarian military systems.

Second of all, not all men have more upper body strength than all women. They're generalized trends, with hundreds of thousands of exceptions. So if you have any sort of aptitude test, and then it turns out that after aptitude tests 70% of the soldiers placed as grunts are men and 30% are women or whatever, that's not sexist.

Saying that the generalized trend means we shouldn't have women be infantry grunts is still sexist, though.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Lugging forty kilos of equipment all the live-long day is not a trivial feat.

True. I was very impressed the time I saw my cousin -- about to go back after being home for a couple days on leave -- all ready to go.

She had been in about a year at that point, so it wasn't a big deal to her anymore.

My two male fighter pilot cousins are slender and weedy. Probably part of why they went for the fighter pilot gig, and not infantry.

Szymon
Member # 7103

You have a big family, rivka! And many of them had somthing to do with military, too.

Except for my grandfather, no-one I know had anything to do with the army. But Polish army has like 100 000 soldiers only, so I guess this could be the reason.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
You have a big family, rivka!

Yup, lots of cousins. (Not all are first cousins, BTW, although I have about 20.)

quote:
And many of them had somthing to do with military, too.

Not most of my American cousins, and only about half of my Israeli ones.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I just get this terribly stereotypical image of angry germans holding flood victims at bayonet point, forcing bags of rice at them, and yelling essen den reis! ESSEN DEN REIS!

This is just wrong. In German the formal imperative is Essen Sie den Reis! The informal plural imperative is Esst den Reis! And if there's just one flood victim and it's someone you're close to, you could use the informal singular and say Iss den Reis!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.