FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A movie about giant human controlled robots that looks promising.

Author Topic: A movie about giant human controlled robots that looks promising.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
trailer:

It's from that guy who made those Hellboy movies.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Stringer Bell and Jax in EVAs fighting Godzilla.

They should shut up and take my money.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
While being commented on by Glados.

Directed by Guillermo Del Toro.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Cause if our planet is being attacked by giant monsters, the most efficient means of resistance is obviously creating giant human controlled robots!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
We're constantly spending millions on hardware that the military doesn't want and can't use. I'm assuming that in this universe, Japan has become part of the U.S. and one of their Senators is head of the Armed Services Committee.

---

Honestly, this looks like it could be awesome.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are human-controlled they are not 'robots'. Robots are autonomous. Human-controlled vehicles are just that - vehicles. Possibly "Large Anthroform Vehicles" or something, but not robots.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Real Steel and now this?

We're getting closer to my dream of a One Must Fall 2097 movie. One step at a time.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just can't get past Glados... I'm really hoping she turns out to be the diabolical/sympathetic force behind opening the portal that lets the monsters in.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they have a plot device to explain why a bunker buster wouldn't be far more effective. There's no way a rocket powered punch would come close to the amount of damage inflicted, barring some zany explanation.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to use one when fighting in the middle of a city, but once the creature is in the water bomb the daylights out of it!

The F-22's flying right into smacking range like a friggen biplane makes me think there probably isn't a good explanation. Oh well, maybe I can turn my brain off long enough.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I hope they have a plot device to explain why a bunker buster wouldn't be far more effective.
I mostly hope they don't. It's a freaking big robots fight monsters movie. Let it be what it is. If you can't enjoy it because it is wildly illogical, you are not doing it right.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the kind of statement that got thrown around a lot when the first Transformers movie came out.

Next, accuse me of "not liking fun".

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier--I accuse you of not liking fun.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:

The F-22's flying right into smacking range like a friggen biplane makes me think there probably isn't a good explanation. Oh well, maybe I can turn my brain off long enough.

Can you imagine the noise generated by an F-22 with its afterburners firing that close to the ground? Not to mention it would be flying itself apart at that speed trying to actually maneuver low in the atmosphere... (that's if it were actually moving as fast as the afterburners would make it move).

It's ironic that we try to make an F-22 look epic by depicting it moving at like 100mph. When, it would be close to stalling at such a low speed.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
If they are human-controlled they are not 'robots'. Robots are autonomous. Human-controlled vehicles are just that - vehicles. Possibly "Large Anthroform Vehicles" or something, but not robots.

From the trailer, these appear to be remote control drones -- people aren't riding in them. Like military drones and bomb disposal robots, these fall into the classification of telerobots. Thus . . . you are wrong.

[Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
That's the kind of statement that got thrown around a lot when the first Transformers movie came out.

Next, accuse me of "not liking fun".

I almost put in a "That isn't a Michael Bey piece of garbage" in there. The Transformers movies were bad, and part of that came from the freedom of not having to make any darn sense, but that wasn't why they were bad.

Certain types of movies contain, as part of their price of admission, the acceptance that the central concept isn't going to make sense. Most horror movies are a good example of this, for example. Pretty much any movie besides Primer that relies on time travel. Heck, even if you grant the universe of The Avengers, the various best/awesome parts of the movie still don't make sense if you think about them. And so on.

These movies don't have to make sense in our reality. They set up their rules and, if they do it right, follow them. If they don't play fair, people do get pulled out of the experience and have a right to criticize. However, following the rules, especially in the terms of holding up to a thorough logical analysis, is not at all what these movies are about. They're about delivering the experience that the movie is made for.

Horror movies are made to scare the crap out of people. Zombies, unstoppable killing psychos, etc don't make any sense and people generally don't behave rationally in a horror movie. The Avengers "These crazy powerful people fight each other" or "Let's fight this massive alien invasion one on one." scenes weren't about how you would realistically defend against this sort of threat if you had those powers. They were about kick ass comic book action.

Likewise, Giant Robots Fight Monsters isn't about how we would actually combat an invasion of giant
monsters. It's about watching Giant Robots fighting Monsters. This type of movie is never going to make sense in terms of the real world. Trying to make it work is either not going to help or most likely hurt the movie. Either it is a throw away line that will do no good against criticism (one part of Snakes on a Plane, which I loved, that most people miss is when the main bad guy says during a phone call "Don't you think I thought of that. This was my last option!" See, none of the ways you would have thought of would work. He went with snakes on the plane because it was the only thing left!!!) or is like inserting Midichlorians, trying to explain the mystery and ruining why people .

That doesn't mean that these movies get a free pass. They could be good or bad. And a lot of that is determined by how stupid they are inside the rules of the movie they set up.

In this particular case, I think that this looks likely that it is going to be a pretty good movie in the Giant Robots Fight Monsters, but if you can't enjoy a movie whose central conceit flies in the face of what would be sensible in the real world, then any movie of this sort is never going to work for you and the change you're asking for to help you deal with this is only going to make the movie worse.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks alright. The synchronized team-work piloting feels kind of doofy to look at, but I'll be there opening night.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember/love Robot Jox?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.