FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kinect Games for fitness

Author Topic: Kinect Games for fitness
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we took advantage of the price drop and sprung for an xBox with a Kinect for christmas.

Also, I am out of shape.

Any suggestions for how to solve the second thing with the first thing?

I'm open to both fitness themed and non fitness themed stuff. Just what's fun, works well with the technology, and/or is addictive.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Pack it all in your backpack. Wear said backpack. Go running.

That's what I've started doing anyway.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Heh. Yeah, that's probably my best bet.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
They just came out with a new one called uh... "Nike + Kinect Training." There's also Your Shape: Fitness Evolved and any of the Zumba games. If you're looking for a less "traditional" workout, the Just Dance and Dance Central games have workout modes, I believe, but I don't know how effective they are.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i might get some exercise throwing any single kinect i find off of a rooftop
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Here's an idea! Get a pile of kinects, keep them on the ground floor. Take one, walk up the stairs, toss it off, walk back down. Repeat for every one of them. Workout using Kinect!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
The Zumba Fitness game is a great workout. If I was more disciplined, I'd tell you if it works long-term. But the few exercises I've done with it really made me sweat.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told the only way I'm going to lose weight is if I do strength training but Zumba is a good cardio to add with weights.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Go swimming. Don't listen to these idiots.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Thanks everybody. At this point my plan is to Zumba up the stairs of a building with a swimming pool on the roof I have to swim across to get to the edge.
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure the thing isn't still powered up when you get into the pool.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand most of you are being facetious, but is there some underlying hate of the Kinect here?

I did see a commercial for a P90x Kinect game. I did some training similar to P90x and while it kicked my trash for the first week or two I did end up losing about 20 lbs between that and running. I wasn't doing it on a Kinect but the nature of the P90x workout lends itself very well to the Kinect.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

The big joke, I think, is that the Kinect only has a handful of games that are Kinect Required, and the ones that have a kinect option (things like Madden, I think Mass Effect, etc.) don't use it very well at all. The technology didn't live up to the hype.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Say what you will, the dance and/or fitness games are far superior on Kinect to those on any other platform - though it is almost certainly better for true exercise to, you know, actually go outside or to a pool. I've had quite a bit of fun playing the Kinect-only games (e.g., Wreckateer, Rise of Nightmares, Star Wars Kinect, the various dance games), but the "Better with Kinect" games are a total joke.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved was a pretty good workout when I had an apartment that was compatible with the Kinect (In other words, had enough room that I could stand in front of the thing without being only able to see my belly button)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

That's my problem, too. I'm a big guy, horizontally and vertically, and I'd have to be further away for it to know anything that I was doing with my hands once they're above my shoulders.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughters absolutely love the Kinect, but I second the recommendation that you only consider "Kinect-only" games for playing with it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky
Member # 13057

- posted      Profile for Ricky           Edit/Delete Post 
(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. Fit Spam)

[ October 24, 2013, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky's got some splainin' to do.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere, Ricky is staring dejectedly at his keyboard, wishing he could figure out how to make friends and talk about fitness.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.